New Grower First auto after 22 year break!

I have just been practising my Rockwool germination technique on a couple of free photoperiods, a dinafem original amnesia and a blackskull jack herer. My White Widow is about 3 cm after 5 weeks an I think it's only the daily visit from a local sympathetic fly that is keeping her alive. Both the seeds sprouted in two days, so I have prepared a cloth pot and I'll also use the smaller pot with the soon to be euthanised white widow. I'll treat them both as an experimental grow. I might try to mainline them both if they grow.

View attachment 978492

View attachment 978493
Haha what did you do to that one mate?
Key to using rockwools is to make sure they're clean. Rinse em under slow running water so they don't break up. Then leave em to soak in a small bowl of water for a couple hours. If the ph of the water stays the same they're clean. If not repeat. Don't get em too wet and don't let em dry out. Best to put them in a humidity box of some sort too. Mines cost 99p and the difference in growth between using it and not is insane.
There's also things called root riots. Get 24 for a fiver on amazon. Like a rockwool but they come wet and ready to go. No germing or watering, just plant the seed and it'll pop.

I think that stunted one had both root shock as well as maybe a too hot soil. The OG amnesia is pretty well dead, I did a stupid thing and put the seedling tray with a lid on in the sun and it got cooked. This is why I'm practising with the free photoperiod seeds! The Rockwool cubes have a pre made hole with looks a bit too deep but I discovered another error I made when I used the other side without the hold and made a much smaller hold for the seed, which popped in two days. However I forgot about the hold and what happened in the taproot grew straight down and out the bottom of the hole and so it got dried out. So that's another thing to watch.

In the hydro it's OK because I just put it straight into the clay pellets with a little weening hose going into the side till the roots make their way to the outside of the pot.

Here's a very pretty shot (if you go to the full res) of one of the flowers it's the top 5"...

I was looking back two weeks and it's amazing how much has taken place. She's covered in delicious lemon flavoured SantaSno®, and looking very pretty, if she continues to chunk up I'll be pretty chuffed, as it stands the quality is there but I can't tell on the yield yet.

D66-santa-snow-P.jpg
D67-crystal-xmas.jpg
D67 canopy.jpeg

You are going to love it. Keep up the good work. Each seed is unique. It is up to you to let her grow and show you what she's got. Enjoy the journey.

OK Day 77 today. 10 days since last update, I've basically just been doing some precision defoliating with some pointy scissors and a pair of long tweezers!

If it wasn't for the photos I'd fret a lot more waiting for her to fatten up for xmas, but looking back she is starting to bulk out a bit. I have a 15x loupe coming from China soon but all the trichomes seem pretty young, could be two more weeks.

D76a.jpg
D76b.jpg
D76c.jpg
D76d.jpg
D77-canopy-a.jpg
D77-canopy-b.jpg
D77-canopy-c.jpg

15x is not gonna cut it I'm afraid. I read you you need 60x or close. But looking at pistils, they should be done soon. In my personal opinion, the window is open already. My guess is that they are mostly cloudy, just starting to amber. Some may like this while some may wait for more amber. Hope it helps.

OK I have ordered a 30x 60x loupe, hopefully will get here by the end of the week. I've taken some close up shots and cropped in on some typical trichomes. It's a little bit tricky because it looks like there are some amber trichomes but I think that is just the coloured LED's or diffraction colours reflecting in some of the beads. Hard to hold the camera still enough. I'd like to see a bit more meat on those bones.

trichome-1.jpg

Attachments

• trichome-2.jpg
    trichome-2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 46
  • trichome-3.jpg
    trichome-3.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 56
  • trichome-4.jpg
    trichome-4.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 54
OK I have ordered a 30x 60x loupe, hopefully will get here by the end of the week. I've taken some close up shots and cropped in on some typical trichomes. It's a little bit tricky because it looks like there are some amber trichomes but I think that is just the coloured LED's or diffraction colours reflecting in some of the beads. Hard to hold the camera still enough. I'd like to see a bit more meat on those bones.

View attachment 984882

Trichs on leaves will amber first. Trichs on buds more accurate I believe.

Looks like I may be correct with my guess. Like I said, the window is open but its a pretty wide window so 1 or even 2 weeks is usually no biggie unless you are after a very sativa effect?

@Equatorial now I'm fretting again. Yeah I do like a very trippy cerebral high, I have to admit, but I also would like to get a decent yield to last me through to the next grow. I suppose a few more days won't matter till I can examine the trichomes properly it still looks like a lot a clear and not cloudy but hard to tell without a loupe. I'll be able to do a two part harvest if necessary too although because of the defoliation (which I now see was absolutely necessary on this strain due to the copious branching) most of the lower buds have received direct light.

@Equatorial now I'm fretting again. Yeah I do like a very trippy cerebral high, I have to admit, but I also would like to get a decent yield to last me through to the next grow. I suppose a few more days won't matter till I can examine the trichomes properly it still looks like a lot a clear and not cloudy but hard to tell without a loupe. I'll be able to do a two part harvest if necessary too although because of the defoliation (which I now see was absolutely necessary on this strain due to the copious branching) most of the lower buds have received direct light.

Its all good. A few days won't matter much. Looking forward to the trich shots!

Back