PS: Those steak taco things look FUCKING BOMB Frankenstein

Just a friendly reminder, Grilla Grills banging summer sale ends tonight at midnight if anyone wanted anything.

I’m so happy for you Franky, that Primate appears to be a knockout across the board…I absolutely ecstatic that I turned you on to the good folks at Grilla. And my god, their customer service is second to none. In this crazy dog eat dog corporate run world that has materialized literally out of this air, it’s SO FUCKING NICE when you find companies like this that build top tier products, have ridiculously honest prices, phenomenal customer service, and aren’t a soulless giant corporation…you can see the passion they have. And being a direct to consumer, makes price points so much easier for them to hit without cutting corner.

I did a good amount of research into Kamados, and that’s how I found Grilla. Every single product I’ve bought from direct to retail companies has punched WELL above its weight, so I had high expectations. If any of you guys are into “high end audio” gear…typically called audiophile grade, there is a sick company called Emotiva that makes phenomenal speakers and amplifiers for extremely honest prices, and follows the direct to consumer model…and looks great doing it too. Check this:

Emotiva A2 Stereo Amplifier. 250w x 2 into 4 ohms…class AB, phenomenal reviews, powerful as hell, very well built. $449
View attachment 1482676View attachment 1482675

Emotiva T2+ Towers. High sensitivity, 8”woofers, 5.25” midrange, 1” folded ribbon tweeter, 3/4” HDF construction with 1” HDF main baffle…magnetic grills, high end crossover, black lacquer finish, 4 feet tall, phenomenal reviews again…$1099 for the pair
View attachment 1482677
View attachment 1482678

If y’all are into music as much as me, and you have never heard what true high end audio can do for you, you’re missing out. It’s never been a better time to shop for some high end audio gear. Also check out GR Research out of Texas…they make DIY speakers that will make you question what a speaker is capable of doing. Another direct to consumer business. Insanity fellas.
The only thing that keeps me away from total audio insanity is that I lack the funds of a James Bond Super Crim. I buy a lot of used, equipment, if you are patient and know gear you will get great deals. If you don't you will be F'd!I have had to pass on some deals lately that made me very sad that these pieces did not make it into my stable.. I am building a new set of speakers presently. They won't be exactly what I want but a stepping stone in the evolution. The horn drivers weigh 12lbs a piece.

Elaborate? I freaking LOVE audio…both hifi gear and pro audio. I have tons of experience, I used to be huge into car audio too…I even went to school for it way back in the day. I have been watching GR Research’s YouTube channel and I have learned SO MUCH about proper speaker design from GR’s owner, Danny Ritchie. My god the guy is like a fountain of knowledge. He has made a name for himself both as a hired gun designer of other brands gear, as well as their own stuff at GR which comprises making upgrade kits for TONS of off the shelf speakers from other companies, and GR’s bread and butter which is DIY speaker kits that come with everything you need to build them, including CNC cut flatpacks which glue together. You get to build the crossover too, which looks like it would be tons of fun.

Danny is a fucking endless source of knowledge and he has such a well trained ear, he can draw the frequency response of a given speaker by hearing their sine wave sweep test. He tests everything, and has tested over 10,000 speakers on his testing rig. He includes detailed plans for every kit he sells, both for the crossover as well as the enclosures if you wanted to build them yourself. Something that seems right up your alley. The X series kits he sells, like the XLS Encore kits have gotten rave reviews, and his NX kits, he said will go toe to toe with anything on the planet. He has his listening room at GR headquarters and every person who hears it walks away ecstatic…most folks didn’t know audio could get that good. The guy has literally auditioned every single component he can get his hands on just to know exactly what every part does to the signal. It’s nuts, but when you’re at this level of performance, he can hear the difference in fucking binding posts and power cables. His motto is “everything matters”…he loves to open peoples eyes to this. Even the material that is used for the JACKETING ON SPEAKER WIRE makes a difference. It’s nuts bro. He is cut from a different cloth for sure…and he will spend hours helping anyone get the most out of their system and room, even if you’re not using his stuff. Genuine awesome dude that is just a caldron of information. GR has been winning awards and blowing minds for 25 years now. Start with speakers and the room, that’s where it all begins. I am thinking about snagging an Emotiva Preamp with DiracLive room correction…it’s bonkers. It can fix an empty room with hardwood floors and empty walls, it’s fucking nuts. Widely considered the best room correction on the market today. Danny also turned me on to open baffle servo controlled subwoofers. Holy shit, absolute game changer, check em out.

I have watched a lot of Danny. I am moving a different direction in my speakers right now for sure. Devon Turnbull is more the direction I want to go.
But, I have my limits. I do have Dirac, it is a game-changer in my shitty rooms. I am building a 12" bass bin with a horn on top crossed over at 500hz. Going to use DSP for now and maybe do the crossovers later. Cheaper to play with DSP first. The type of crossover I wanted was from ALK engineering and Al can do things for large speakers and horns that nobody else can. But Al quit he said he is done and retired. I have built many crossovers and repaired many others, but I do not understand using transformers in the way Al does it, or can I find anything on how he built them as far as engineering. I am on a kick to go bigger more efficient, more dynamic. If I had more room, I would be that guy with giant pairs of speakers on dollies.

Tried my hand at smoked baked potatoes and smoking T-bone strip steaks. The smoker was set to 200f with potatoes scrubbed coated in olive oil and kosher salt. Those got placed on the smoker. The steaks were dusted in kosher salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder set aside getting to room temp soaking in the flavor. About 2hrs in the steaks got put on with probes. Takes about 1hr for steaks to reach internal temp of 110f. I then mixed up some mayonnaise with other seasoning that get smeared on the steaks. Had the griddle heated up to reverse sear them. Cranked the smoker up to 400f to finish cooking potatoes till internal temp was 200-205f which left a nice soft creamy texture. Everything finished at the same time and dinner was served.
79DD4F9E-AD40-4DD0-9980-BA9050E081D4.jpeg
47B635DD-68DA-45F0-821F-B670FAC55FA1.jpeg
A7121E22-C89D-4160-BD78-68CBA4192154.jpeg
EF78A2F8-7BA7-4A16-9410-5817ECB36278.jpeg
CFC027B0-1632-4CD5-A838-4629016F7B1F.jpeg
38E2FA50-084E-4145-881E-92877DA908B1.jpeg
690263DC-AC33-48B1-950C-1420A5FAAE45.jpeg
F48B7C67-DA3E-473A-AC9E-15294139A328.jpeg
F6F82785-2809-4723-9375-C30F8B152047.jpeg
CE0C99AD-1995-44F2-9CED-EE8D57758A66.jpeg
77933D30-BBFB-4413-A92E-E1E14A7567A5.jpeg
B112F718-109A-491E-88DE-67C862309849.jpeg
9CCBEF2A-418B-482D-8E25-AB56BE785F5E.jpeg
C17612D6-C787-4B25-8CEF-DCD3AF379C14.jpeg
899B159F-F316-4C60-B1CC-BC67BF117712.jpeg

Nice work mister…you and your feasts. Thats a serious pile o’ stripies, did you score a whole strip loin and cut em yourself?

Back