Well done, sir! That is the kind of bbq that would make some folks start talking about mother slapping, or what have you….! I like the increased bark surface technique, also. Great to see the grilla performing so well!

The Kong is fucking sick bro. It’s bonkers. I’m gonna be doin a lot more charcoal cooking now. I gotta get them Grill Grates so I can try my hand at 700 degrees for some proper steaks and burgers and shastas. I love that the grates flip over and make a sort of flat top like surface…we shall see which one is more desirable. I’ve always been a sucker for deep dark grill marks, so I have a feeling I will like side 1. That’s the side you’re paying for anyway, haha.

I forgot to say….the cover for the Kong is absolutely killer. It’s made of some really nice material, it feels like Cordura possibly, it’s thick and nice. Worth every penny….they made this thing to last. Every bit of it. Great job Grilla. We had a couple hiccups, but that’s all behind us now. I busted my knuckles, it felt a lot like work, but it’s all done now. Feel free to send me a pair of Grill Grates if you read this. I feel like it’s something they should do, I really got kinda shafted for a minute. I think it was 5 weeks and change from order to first cook. And my knuckles are still pissed, they tell me that they deserve a paycheck. We legit went to work. Now it’s time to get paid??? Sounds good. Hook a brotha up??? Labrador??? Hemlock??? Burgeron???

Sincerely,
Hamlet Winterbottom III

I forgot to say, the sauce I made was a coffee mustard sauce…along with the coffee rub. I used some of the rub in the sauce, that’s a pro tip right there. It was made from Guldens Spicy Brown, Nescafé Dark, French’s Yella, dark brown sugar, Heinz white vinegar, lemon joose, Heinz Ketchup, Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ, garlic powder, and some black pepp. All slammed together in a very specific order and amount. It’s sweet and sour and spicy and very homemade and worked perfect.

This is just a friendly PSA.

Do any of y'all have a need for AA batteries? I did. I spent about $60 on batteries last year. At least, it was probably more like $75. I found this Energizer AA battery charger and grabbed one, and it works phenomenal. As good as the alkalines without question. I bought it from Target for $21. That's pretty much the standard price.

Well, I found it in Amazon for $12 with free shipping with 4 batteries. You can't even buy a 4 pack of the batteries for that. Haha.
GUEST_72bd39a3-cd3e-4a2d-8a0b-050d9588ead5.jpg

Here's the link. They are really nice...and the charger will charge any NiMH battery regardless of the brand.

Amazon product

*Edit* Wow...Amazon is fucked up. It keeps switching the link to this one. Just scroll down and click see other sellers and you'll see the $12 one right at the very top from Thunder Bunny. Alternatively, you can just go to the Thunder Bunny store, they only have a couple items.

-End transmission-

Last edited:
some of the meats I cooked on the grill today used mesquite charcoal lump charcoal and used some wood pellets in some foil for smoke. I made lemon pepper whole chicken cut in half for easy cooking and a single piece of pork belly I found in the freezer.

I also made some st. Louis cut ribs I cut from a two pack of spare ribs I am cooking the rib tips from them now. I also made some grilled pineapple and a few beef chuck thin steaks. my mom made a fruit salad and some potatoes and onions.

IMG_20220702_095526033_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220702_095538725.jpg
IMG_20220702_095544720.jpg
IMG_20220702_095620237_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220702_123539713_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220702_123527343.jpg
IMG_20220702_123519860.jpg

some of the meats I cooked on the grill today used mesquite charcoal lump charcoal and used some wood pellets in some foil for smoke. I made lemon pepper whole chicken cut in half for easy cooking and a single piece of pork belly I found in the freezer.

I also made some st. Louis cut ribs I cut from a two pack of spare ribs I am cooking the rib tips from them now. I also made some grilled pineapple and a few beef chuck thin steaks. my mom made a fruit salad and some potatoes and onions.

View attachment 1480850View attachment 1480851View attachment 1480852View attachment 1480853View attachment 1480854View attachment 1480855View attachment 1480856
That's some purdy looking chicken :drool:

PXL_20220702_171428044.jpg
PXL_20220702_232249140.jpg

7lb boneless shoulder at around 265*. Kingsford and some post oak chunks. 6 hours in and this sucker has been stuck at 160* for like my entire adult life :doh: Gonna have to wrap it. Looks like it's gonna be a late night :nono: Time for a brownie :headbang:Apple/tangerine/pineapple juice with some rub in the wrap. Still gotta make dirt cake tonight and tomorrow it'll be ribs, chickens and a bucket of sausage and peppers in red sauce and some corn on the cob. Supposed to be 30-40 people over here tomorrow including the kids old enough to need their own plates

View attachment 1480872View attachment 1480873
7lb boneless shoulder at around 265*. Kingsford and some post oak chunks. 6 hours in and this sucker has been stuck at 160* for like my entire adult life :doh: Gonna have to wrap it. Looks like it's gonna be a late night :nono: Time for a brownie :headbang:Apple/tangerine/pineapple juice with some rub in the wrap. Still gotta make dirt cake tonight and tomorrow it'll be ribs, chickens and a bucket of sausage and peppers in red sauce and some corn on the cob. Supposed to be 30-40 people over here tomorrow including the kids old enough to need their own plates
You gotta wrap it or bump the temp to 285 or 300. What happen is the power of the cook is going into the evaporation of water which will make it damn hard to push past 165 without the thingee drying out. The stall is a pain in the ass, that why you see guys wrap at 160

Pellet grill country ribs Mustard sauce and sweet sauce on the pellet grill.

IMG_20220702_182047450.jpg

Picnic bone-in. Injected, held 1cup on a 7lb roast. Cooked on by big green egg unwrapped whole cook. cooked at 250 early with Apple mash pellets for smoke. Bumped to 300 after 160. Still took over 7 hours. The BGE does a nice job and is stingy on the charcoal. Noy as easy as the pellet grill but lots of fun.

IMG_20220702_200310842.jpg

You gotta wrap it or bump the temp to 285 or 300. What happen is the power of the cook is going into the evaporation of water which will make it damn hard to push past 165 without the thingee drying out. The stall is a pain in the ass, that why you see guys wrap at 160
Yeah. Don't really like to raise the temp though especially since I kinda run hot to begin with. I've never figured out why some sometimes it totally stalls and other times it stalls for an hour or 2 and then gets moving again. This particular piece isn't very "floppy" so there just might not be a ton of fat inside :shrug: Just glad I didn't wait until tomorrow to start messing with it. I'll let it finish tonight then just sit all wrapped up tight in the oven at 180 until tomorrow

Back