I found this rib secret out about ten years ago. If you don’t have a smoker…or you got shit to do/don’t have charcoal/don’t have smoking wood/stayed up until 7:15am and feel like a truck ran you over…and dinner guests are coming in exactly 5 hours….hahaha, I’ve been there one time.

So here is the method. Fire up the ole hotbox to 260°F, put your dry rub on nice and thicky. Place rybz into a baking dish with some decent hwalls. Like a Pyrex or hotel pan or whatever. Pack em in, and cover tight with foil. Tilt the pan so one end is elevated an inch. I use one of the cast iron grates from my old stove. It don’t matter. Leave an inch or three empty on the low side so the rybz don’t wind up getting braised or boiled. Cook for about 3 to 3.5 hoursish. Reserve the delicious liquid that comes in the bottom corner of the roasting pan. If you used a good stout coffee rub, the liquid that comes is basically pork coffee, and MY GOD, the shit is fucking FIRE. It would be amazing to bring for deer hunting…around here, it’s frigid on opening day in November. A thermos with a couple cups of that is just what the Dr. ordered. I should know, I’m a doctor when the need arises. I am also a lawyer and a tree guy and a graphic designer and a guitarist and a pole dancer. You should see me work that thing. A fucking natural.

Anyhoo, the rybz now get put on the grill. All it takes is about 25 mins on med/low. Use the reserved liquid to baste the rybz once or thrice, and then sauce em up. Whisk a little liquid smoke into your sauce or the reserve…they are really good if you got good rybz and a good rub. Nobody will be the wiser, other than the smoke ring being absent, but the flavor and texture are there in spades. Rybz with no smoker that are top notch. Give It a go, its a great way to have rybz without any effort. I know all you stoners are big grill and smoke guys, but this recipe is for the other side of the world. First time I had em, I didn’t even know they were only grilled for 15 mins…they tasted awesome and I gave my boy props. He then shared his secret.

3.5lbs of ground beef and pork plus some other stuff equals 76 meatballs :jointman:
PXL_20220612_214922885.jpg

PXL_20220612_215614329.jpg

Braised some for dinner tonight and 3 packs for the freezer for easy sous vide reheating for when I don't have time after work :cools:
PXL_20220612_220413559.jpg
PXL_20220612_223433384.jpg

Meatball Parm on garlic bread for dinner :vibe::vibe::vibe:

Hell yeah. The worst part about making balls is seasoning in my opinion. I always make a tiny “burger” before I commit. Sometimes it takes two or three. If I’ve learned anything about loafs and ballz, it’s use fresh high quality meats, don’t overdue any breadcrumbs, and they are practically begging to be sammichd.

You guys should try my ballz. Check this…I learnt a few things from Tyler Florence about ballz. He has that Tyler’s Ultimate show. That’s where I learned to double cook em. This is hands down a game changer if you’re not doing it. Get a skillet or griddle ripping hot. Wide open. Sear them ballz hard….don’t be shy, get some color. Put ballz in Pyrex baking pan fairly tight. Pour sauce over theme. A decent amount…wait till you taste that sauce when they come out. Jesus. Cover tight with foil. Bake for an hour or so 356.29°F. It’s critical to get that exact temperature. The other secrets I do, use LOTS of parm. Both fresh grated and Kraft powder….lots of garlic…my super special holy shit ingredient is fennel. I will use it four ways if I got it. Fresh bulb, diced small, fronds, fennel seeds straight out the box, and fennel powder that I make from grinding seeds to dust. I will use half a container of seeds for a few pounds. It’s freaking ridiculous. The seeds are more important than the bulb or fronds, but fennel is cheap. Try this, it might completely change the way you make ballz. Lots of parm, lots of fennel, a couple pieces of fresh bread soaked in milk, beef, pork and veal mix if you’re going shopping. The parm and bread makes em creamy, the double cooking and saucing makes em deep flavor, the fennel is perfection. I want some right now. It’s a pain, but man is it nice when they’re done.

Good news and bad news. So, I was Kongin it and I noticed something terrible. I'll just show y'all.
PXL_20220612_113110224.jpg
PXL_20220612_113149661.jpg

Both fuckin rings. Yikes. I was devastated. So I sent these pics to Grilla. WOW!!! These guys are fucking awesome.
PSX_20220613_044622.jpg
PSX_20220613_044549.jpg

I got a gift card!!!! Not only did they do me right, they did it within 8 hours on a Sunday. Now THATS customer service. Buy shit from these guys. You won't be disappointed.

You're in good hands Franky

Hell yeah. The worst part about making balls is seasoning in my opinion. I always make a tiny “burger” before I commit. Sometimes it takes two or three. If I’ve learned anything about loafs and ballz, it’s use fresh high quality meats, don’t overdue any breadcrumbs, and they are practically begging to be sammichd.

You guys should try my ballz. Check this…I learnt a few things from Tyler Florence about ballz. He has that Tyler’s Ultimate show. That’s where I learned to double cook em. This is hands down a game changer if you’re not doing it. Get a skillet or griddle ripping hot. Wide open. Sear them ballz hard….don’t be shy, get some color. Put ballz in Pyrex baking pan fairly tight. Pour sauce over theme. A decent amount…wait till you taste that sauce when they come out. Jesus. Cover tight with foil. Bake for an hour or so 356.29°F. It’s critical to get that exact temperature. The other secrets I do, use LOTS of parm. Both fresh grated and Kraft powder….lots of garlic…my super special holy shit ingredient is fennel. I will use it four ways if I got it. Fresh bulb, diced small, fronds, fennel seeds straight out the box, and fennel powder that I make from grinding seeds to dust. I will use half a container of seeds for a few pounds. It’s freaking ridiculous. The seeds are more important than the bulb or fronds, but fennel is cheap. Try this, it might completely change the way you make ballz. Lots of parm, lots of fennel, a couple pieces of fresh bread soaked in milk, beef, pork and veal mix if you’re going shopping. The parm and bread makes em creamy, the double cooking and saucing makes em deep flavor, the fennel is perfection. I want some right now. It’s a pain, but man is it nice when they’re done.
Really, you got to triple cook them once in the pan and once in the oven, and then you add the sauce and let them simmer in the sauce for a couple hours. Never leave out the fennel and if you have it fresh parsley use it. Then you need to get baked yourself, I mean totally baked then make meatball sami's and get frickin sauce all over your face and possibly your shirt. Your dog will be licking your face and anywhere else you got it.Then you package the rest up and freeze some so you don't have to make them for like six months. Just put in the micro for 2 minutes.

Shh…don’t tell Grilla, but I think I might have fucked that up. I know how I did it. The rings aren’t tight yet. I believe they have to be under tension to work proper. The top is heavy and I didn’t have the handle hooked up yet. Dummy. The way it happened right in the same spot. Well, I’ll be extra careful until they are properly torqued down and all hunky dory. I think I’m gonna get a grill cover with my gift card. They have an excellent heavy duty one that lasts a long time…people are loving it. I am also probably gonna grab those badass shredding claws. In case zombies come or whatever. They are sick. Full stainless, and only twenty bucks. You gotta spend $80 to get free shipping…that will put it right there exactly. If I didn’t get the claws it would only be $7 cheaper. That’s a no brainer. Sounds about right.
2B3FB707-6DDC-47E5-BC0F-FAC5BC451401.jpeg
D7AAF5E7-A974-4BED-AFFE-6A02C49B11CB.jpeg

these wings are really nice. And they are big.

Fennel in meatballs? What??? Butcher here doesn't sell veal but that's how my grandma made them.
I bake em in the oven 450 then into some sauce for as long as I can stand pacing around the house. Can fit 40 on a half sheet easy instead of pan frying in batches. I like 2 bite balls but grandma made em the size of fists so you'd have to smash em down in a sandwich to stuff it into your face. Wife and kid prefer the ball structure but I really like the smashed meatball on a sandwich. Fresh grated Parm is real nice, there's a good sized wedge of locatelli in those. :cools: I like grated onion in there and prefer garlic powder to fresh for balls. Milk soaked bread and the nice crust on the outside with the tender long braise are really the tricks. Meatballs are so awesome that there's really a million ways to make a good meatball dish, just as many terrible meatballs. But the whole world can pretty much agree that meatballs are the shit :vibe:

Shh…don’t tell Grilla, but I think I might have fucked that up. I know how I did it. The rings aren’t tight yet. I believe they have to be under tension to work proper. The top is heavy and I didn’t have the handle hooked up yet. Dummy. The way it happened right in the same spot. Well, I’ll be extra careful until they are properly torqued down and all hunky dory. I think I’m gonna get a grill cover with my gift card. They have an excellent heavy duty one that lasts a long time…people are loving it. I am also probably gonna grab those badass shredding claws. In case zombies come or whatever. They are sick. Full stainless, and only twenty bucks. You gotta spend $80 to get free shipping…that will put it right there exactly. If I didn’t get the claws it would only be $7 cheaper. That’s a no brainer. Sounds about right.
View attachment 1472037View attachment 1472038
Good looking pup you’ve got there doc…

View attachment 1472037View attachment 1472038
What kind of dog? How big?

I had a proper morning breakfast. The fresh - never frozen scallops were back today. They cost more than gas :rofl: Soft creamy texture, sweet flavor with the taste of the fresh ocean. A solid 8.

_DSC4812.JPG

Last edited:
Back