Ah...the infamous Patagonian Toothfish. The folks who wanted to sell it created the Seabass name to boost sales.

Our local old folks mart, aka Hegedorns, gets Chilean Sea Bass once in awhile and it is the most gorgeous looking pieces of fish I've ever seen in real life. Sadly, most Chilean Sea Bass is counterfeit. Time Magazine....or Life or People or some other publication of that stature, did a lab test and 85% of the fish was counterfeit. From high end restaurants in NYC & LA to boutique fishmongers. It was the norm.
I
t's quite expensive, so it absolutely makes sense. It's much harder to tell without the skin, so I only recommend buying it if it has skin. I am 1000% positive the fish at Heges was legit, it looked like this:
View attachment 1437631
View attachment 1437632
About $25 a pound, which is a very fair deal, it was mega fresh. The best looking fish I've ever seen through glass. They've apparently had it a handful of times, but I've only seen it twice. I believe that cod was the most commonly found alternative, and I can see why looking at that gorgeous hunks of toothfash.

And here's why:
View attachment 1437636
View attachment 1437637
View attachment 1437639
Two of these fish are not like the other....two of these fishies are not quite the same.

Malicious and devious. And I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the trickery is being done further up the pipeline. It's not the guy who runs the counter, it's the asshole selling it to him or one step higher even.

I love the Fillêt'O'Green idea!! 'Merican Cheese and all. You sammichs that fishes. Didn't stand a chance. Haha.
Yep that is the stuff. Uhm it was more than $24 a pound on sale :doh: Ms. MOG does not like fish much. She liked this. It really was an amazing Filet-O-Fish Sandwich. I make tarter with my home made Dill pickles, fresh Dill Weed, Lemon Juice, Best Foods Mayonnaise and salt.

I have found the batter I have been looking for and it is all because of the GF flour. 1/2 corn flour to 1/2 GF all purpose flour, salt pepper and a 1 egg to 3/4 cup water wash. Dredge the fish in the wash. Bread in the mixture and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. It makes a durable breading that will hold the filet together and yet is crisp and light. It does not over brown in the time it takes the fish to fry.

I love the fine details of homemade frying. Me and the missus are always game to try a scratch fried concoction. The little details too...like refrigerating the breading before frying, can make all the difference.

I got a question for you folks who are into that big shrimpin. As some of you may have heard, it was ma birthday on the other day. I hadda beef sammich. That was not what I planned. This is more like birthday
PSX_20220328_014549.jpg

Ribee, loaded bake, shrimps and broccoli w/ garlic sauce.

Super proud of this broccoli dish!! I had flames and got that smoked oil taste and cooked it wide open and kept it moving and added my homemade garlic sauce (light + dark soy, brown sug, hoisin, mirin, red chili flakes) + cornstarch + water slurry.

My takeout skill grows by +1. Ha ha Soon I will be able to take on the guy down the road who is the local gym leader. Ha ha. They won't stand a chance once I upgrade my gear Ha ha. Soon, I will be worthy to be called an apprentice. Ha ha.
PXL_20220328_051647995.jpg

Here's my question. Ha ha. Them big shrimpin was more like fucked shrimpin. It had this weird taste and I couldn't even enjoy one. I got em at shit hole Walstreet Hypermart. Tastes like burning. What's the deal with that?!? Ha ha.

It actually tastes chemmy. It's yuck. Even my cat didn't want it, so I threw it on my neighbors roof. Ha ha.

I made bread!!

I obviously don't have any more sour dough starter from that crazy bread summer half a decade ago or something. Twas a bit minute lads. So I weighed my flour and had 460g, just over a pound. Not very much when you're baking bread and stuffs. So I found a free form four ingredient recipe using yeast as a floaty. I whipt that shat into a shaggy baby and let her float in my very briefly warmed oven. Ovens are a great spot for yeasty blankets in the winter. It was like 18 dungarees outside this day. Sheistee fuckin Puxatawny Caddyshack lookin flea bag liar.

So we decided to have brekky for dinny, so I whipt up that yeast log for havina.

Not quite artisan grade sourdough from many summers ago, but she'll smoke.
PSX_20220329_033101.jpg

Ms. MOG was out tonight :muahaha:

I had to make chili. I used the Westbrae two cans would have been too much. I think I have some frozen but could not find it.

_DSC4597.JPG
_DSC4598.JPG

The chips are Pipcorn and are better than Frito's.

_DSC4599.JPG
_DSC4600.JPG

Oscar Meyer Cheese Dogs

_DSC4601.JPG
_DSC4602.JPG
_DSC4603.JPG

Nuke it to make the cheese melt. Man Cave Food.

_DSC4604.JPG

There ya go Bushys...my very first heart and smiley combo given. I didn't know how to do it until I poked about a wee bit deeper.

I thoroughly enjoy that I now have two degrees of resolution at my command.

Let it be known that today is the start of some love when I spy something what deserves the deluxe mode upgrade.

Last night wasn’t that special of a dinner but anything that I get I’m grateful for. I didn’t have to cook but the rest of family since it’s only 4 days since surgery already miss the grilled/smoked food.
Just a quick BLT, Amish macaroni salad and homemade coleslaw.
7C56040E-3A7B-45E9-8F63-C7308FCB1ACD.jpeg

Since they were having a special clearance to get rid of the extra corned beef at the store at $2 a pound we picked up quite a few and filled the freezer. Wife vacuum sealed these 2 packages and went into the sous vide for just over 48hrs to cook. Then get the pot together with cabbage heads cut into wedges along with red potatoes. Take the corned beef out of sous vide and dump juice and all into pot, add water if needed and steam the cabbage/potatoes till done. Slice and serve
606A51B6-83D3-4CA4-A56B-4125A3286820.jpeg

Back