Nice bro. I love the kettle smoker.

I did a little somethin somethin with some turks and tatties and cauliflower.
View attachment 1391567
View attachment 1391568
Clockwise: Turks, roasted cauliflower, maple bacon stuffing, riced red mashed garlic tatties and some Hawaiian sweet rolls with homemade cranberry sauce and Cool Whip in the middle.
View attachment 1391573
Kings Hawaiian roll turkey sliders with dill pickle kettle chips on board. I love my things samicht in case you hadn't noticed.:crying:
I will be having open face hot turkey sandwiches for supper today!

Just some quick polish sausage hash done on the griddle with some egg noodles and also did some asparagus.
2C4A9343-2414-4FC1-86ED-54A5F39E029C.jpeg

Did a 24 wet brine and 24hr dry brine on the turkey. Took a full 6 hrs on the smoker with me just bumping temps to get the finished product. Tossed on the spiral cut ham on the smoker also for 3 hrs till it reached temp. I was to busy snacking and slamming beer down to take pics of everything else.
B6E0AF6E-0124-4A8B-BB28-9946B7E03010.jpeg
259795F7-BAF0-43B0-A147-CA9E5857CB3B.jpeg

Did a 24 wet brine and 24hr dry brine on the turkey. Took a full 6 hrs on the smoker with me just bumping temps to get the finished product. Tossed on the spiral cut ham on the smoker also for 3 hrs till it reached temp. I was to busy snacking and slamming beer down to take pics of everything else.
View attachment 1392422View attachment 1392423
Haha, you dispatchcocked!! I didn't even know about it until about 5 years ago...I think it was closer to 4, but since I did my first 'cocked turkey, I have spatched every single bird I've made, besides Cornish hens.

I would recommend getting some $10 kitchen utility shears, as it makes the job easy...I spatched a 6 pound organic chicken a few weeks ago and roasted it lovely.

I just learned a cool trick for making a pan sauce...when it comes time to thicken and gloss up the sauce, use some Knox unflavored gelatin. It's the same proteins that are in demi and it makes a beautifully shiny sauce if you play your cards right...I have had roux issues the last two times....which is SUPER frustrating. I see some people go by volume 50/50 and others go by weight 50/50...which is even dumber, because a quarter cup of flour weighs 31g and a quarter cup of butter is just shy of 60g...so the two conflicting ideas are off by double. It's such a touchy ratio for it to work right...if I have one piece of advice, it would be to keep it drier. Also use the right vessel and keep it moving with a hwhisk....use the one hanging on the hwall there buttercup.

Fucking Hwednesday....hump day!!! Mike!! Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike!!!!!

Hump Day!!!

Fucking camels are dicks

Haha, you dispatchcocked!! I didn't even know about it until about 5 years ago...I think it was closer to 4, but since I did my first 'cocked turkey, I have spatched every single bird I've made, besides Cornish hens.

I would recommend getting some $10 kitchen utility shears, as it makes the job easy...I spatched a 6 pound organic chicken a few weeks ago and roasted it lovely.

I just learned a cool trick for making a pan sauce...when it comes time to thicken and gloss up the sauce, use some Knox unflavored gelatin. It's the same proteins that are in demi and it makes a beautifully shiny sauce if you play your cards right...I have had roux issues the last two times....which is SUPER frustrating. I see some people go by volume 50/50 and others go by weight 50/50...which is even dumber, because a quarter cup of flour weighs 31g and a quarter cup of butter is just shy of 60g...so the two conflicting ideas are off by double. It's such a touchy ratio for it to work right...if I have one piece of advice, it would be to keep it drier. Also use the right vessel and keep it moving with a hwhisk....use the one hanging on the hwall there buttercup.

Fucking Hwednesday....hump day!!! Mike!! Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike!!!!!

Hump Day!!!

Fucking camels are dicks
Hey Doc to make a roux I just add flour (corn starch, whatever) to the oil (butter, lard, drippings, etc) until it does not take anymore and starts to lump up. It will thin as the moisture cooks out. Do not be tempted to add more as it cooks as this will cock it up. I try to make more roux than I will need to use to get the consistency I want because it is a PITA to have to make more.

Yesterday we took a 13 lb beef brisket and trimmed the fat cap then dusted all over with Himalayan pink salt, sea salt, granulated garlic and fresh cracked peppercorns. That sat in fridge 12hrs, at midnight fired up the smoker for the first 9hrs, then at 9 am it was wrapped in pink butcher paper to finish the cook getting to 205f. At that time it will be wrapped in a towel and placed in a igloo cooler to rest 2 hrs before slicing for dinner tonight.
A3E9C994-8034-454A-876D-AFE55D260F59.jpeg

Yesterday we took a 13 lb beef brisket and trimmed the fat cap then dusted all over with Himalayan pink salt, sea salt, granulated garlic and fresh cracked peppercorns. That sat in fridge 12hrs, at midnight fired up the smoker for the first 9hrs, then at 9 am it was wrapped in pink butcher paper to finish the cook getting to 205f. At that time it will be wrapped in a towel and placed in a igloo cooler to rest 2 hrs before slicing for dinner tonight.
View attachment 1392788

View attachment 1392788
Nice...it's amazing how after a little dry brine curing, a hunk of beef can look like it's wrapped in a paper bag.

I have had amazing results using towels in a cooler to rest a brisket. It will still be warm 12 hours later if you wrap it good.

Glad to see ya feelin better old timer. You've been busy cooking these epic outdoor meals feeding the Bushytribe and throwing up a ton of pics...you guys definitely put the work in.

I lived in a motel out in the sticks for a few months about a decade ago. To feed ourselves, I wound up scoring a half size fridge and had my baby charcoal Weber (RIP little guy) and a cheapo gas grill that was cobbled together from about 5 different various $179 grills..but it worked pretty well. Anyway, I would turn the tailgate of my truck into my prep area, and cook everything on those fuckers. We made everything from scratch apple pie to eggs to fried buffalo wings. Actually, before I scored my ceramic dutch oven and induction cooker one-two knockout, I fried everything on the grill. If I could only have one heat source/appliance, it would be a grill without a single hesitation. The induction burner is a fantastic grill caddy as well, and puts those little sidecar toys that literally nobody ever uses to shame.

I think mine was $50 bucks, and I've gotten my money's worth a dozen times over. Same thing for my dutchy, a fifty dollar bill well spent.

Back