Lighting DIY Cob Building. Safety first! [ELECTRICAL SAFETY ADVICE]

There is a reason that 90% of us DIY guys use Meanwell drivers. Efficient, up to 95%! Reliable and very well built. some guys push them beyond spec and yet they keep running. With the cheap drivers, your lucky to get 80% efficiency, there goes the efficiency gains from running good cobs. And even luckier if they even come close to rated out put. And most important, SAFETY! I'll put my trust in a name brand WAY before any of that cheap stuff!
And I am on a tight budget, but I'll raise the money, built in steps, whatever, to have a good light. Don't cut corners!

What thoughts do you have regarding these bare bones power supplies out of Asia? I see them all over at prices that are quite attractive but wonder if anyone has experience with their performance and longevity. The current budget has me constantly looking at alternatives to the really good gear we all know and love.

Nice one big Sim0. I'll probably re read everything again then start a thread in couple of weeks when I've got it nailed in my head. And thanks also to 2stoned. The pictures you post help me lots and great thread you've got.

Hey great looking light, bud! Just noticed something (sorry, OCD lol,) but your carbon scrubber pre-filter looks pretty filthy, make sure you are washing that out after every grow lol! :crying:

ROFL trust you to notice,i wash it after 2 grows after 1 i just take it off and smack it against the wall to get the dust out :crying::crying::crying:

5 CLU48-1212s driven by a
MH HLG-185H-1050B
frame design as triple X ;)

IMG_9472.JPG
IMG_9499.JPG
IMG_9500.JPG
IMG_9507.JPG
IMG_9508.JPG
IMG_9510.JPG
IMG_9513.JPG
IMG_9530.JPG

What thoughts do you have regarding these bare bones power supplies out of Asia? I see them all over at prices that are quite attractive but wonder if anyone has experience with their performance and longevity. The current budget has me constantly looking at alternatives to the really good gear we all know and love.
Well I do have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher but still.. We're talking about a lot of energy so better safe than sorry.

I have a very basic and ignorant question. I bought some 18 ga solid core wire at our local Menards in the door bell section listed as low voltage and rated for in-wall use. Will this wire be alright for my cob project? Thanks Pipes

I have a very basic and ignorant question. I bought some 18 ga solid core wire at our local Menards in the door bell section listed as low voltage and rated for in-wall use. Will this wire be alright for my cob project? Thanks Pipes
Ignorant would be asking which color would look best for your cob frame. Lol All wire has a voltage rating on the package and fine printed on the wire itself. 18g solid wire should be fine but please check the voltage. That voltage should be higher than the drivers voltage.

Back