Lighting DIY COB Based LED Growlight Build In Progress!

fortunately, I spent several years working as a millwright/welder in the paper industry and have metal working experience. Yep, broke a few taps before.The key is the proper size tap hole, and lubricant. and yes, never use a tap in a drill!

be VERY CAREFUL when tapping. I used the #4-40 allen head screw/bolt (very small hardware) and the tap for those are small too, and will break at nothing.
I snapped a few off in the heat sink (huge headache) on my first light build.
I suggest using a tap handle and not a drill for using the tap.

Ive had good luck using 3m self tapping screws (just a few bucks from china on ebay) and 7/16 drill bit. If you cant drill holes with a drill press you probably wanna go slightly smaller on the bit tho, cuz you cant help but get hole size a little too large. Id suggest 8mm if using most cob holders. Ive got 6mm 8mm and 10mm and ive overtightened a few 6's and stripped the holes out, but if you have longer you can just use the next size up and the same hole. Just tighten to snug, no reason to put excessive torque on them. I got the ones with allen wrench type heads, use 2.5mm wrench I think...

Some on RIU can be dinks, but theres great information there also, if you can find it...

Also in my last build, I didnt want to use heavy wire but thin insulated wire is hard to find in stores here, so for my fans I pulled some wire out of cat5 cable and they are already twised pairs of solid core, worked fine for wiring the fans up to the 12v, 1A supply.

I'm using 18-awg 2 conductor thermostat wire. a 50ft roll was $14. I got it at Lowes

For my lights Ive been using 20ga stranded wire rated for 300v, seems to work ok but if I make anything more than 150w I should maybe drop down to 18ga also....

IMG_1918.JPG

In business here, hows yours looking Pop?

What will you mount those heat sinks to and what about the fans? Just asking cause I was thinking of using them as well

What fans? They are passive pin heatsinks, no need for fans. I'm designing a case for it, for now I'll use some aluminium bars.

IMG_1922.JPG

What fans? They are passive pin heatsinks, no need for fans. I'm designing a case for it, for now I'll use some aluminium bars.

View attachment 555702
Nice case how wide will it be? I just saw those heat sinks I like how they are pre drilled and taped .. I had not read that they did not need fans.. I guess I have some more reading to do.. Those COBS get hot I thought that growmau5 attached fans to his.

Not with these new pin heatsinks mate, not sure on exact measurements for the case yet, just getting my head around the design process. Yes all pre drilled and tapped.

Back