Lighting DIY COB Based LED Growlight Build In Progress!

Rocking bro! That looks amazing! And you tapped and the whole deal, very nice. So you found you had to thin out the 18 gauge wire? Have I got that right? I have 22 gauge in the post, apparently it is easier to work with in more delicate situations. Are you going to add a dimmer to it? I just ordered a 100k ohm potentiometer and also a few 10 resistors as safety net.

Looking proper stellar in here man, love it. :cheers:

Yep, got the dimmer working. Didn't need to tap the holes, I used self tapping screws.Yes, 18 guage, stranded wire, like speaker wire. I know a lot of guys use 22 gauge wire but i just wanted the peace of mind knowing my wiring had plenty of headroom.

Rocking bro! That looks amazing! And you tapped and the whole deal, very nice. So you found you had to thin out the 18 gauge wire? Have I got that right? I have 22 gauge in the post, apparently it is easier to work with in more delicate situations. Are you going to add a dimmer to it? I just ordered a 100k ohm potentiometer and also a few 10 resistors as safety net.

Looking proper stellar in here man, love it. :cheers:

Thats cool man. I know most use the 18 gauge, this 22 goes up to 7A so plenty of headroom, all works the same :toke:. Really nice build brother. Killing it.:smokeout:

These DIY threads have definitely shown me what I'm going to be doing in the near future. I was stressing about spending 600+ on a light but damn this stuff is easy and the price is a lot nicer. Great thread! ;D

Looking great and yeah, they're bright. I always have sunglasses on in the grow tents now. The reflection alone is uncomfortably bright lol. And I like a welding helmet for inspecting the cobs in use, shade 8-10 is working well here.

I figure my light would cost round $950-$1100 as a retail light. i can build close to three lights for that! And I can upgrade to CXB 3590's with just a chip change! However, we'll see how good these chips work, they may be all i ever need, although the 3590's would give another step up in efficiency and photon output.

With all else dialed in, I'm hoping to exceed 1/gpw . From what I've seen, should be too hard!

At 800ma, they'll use aproximately, 138.4 watts per panel and 175 at 1.0 amp

These DIY threads have definitely shown me what I'm going to be doing in the near future. I was stressing about spending 600+ on a light but damn this stuff is easy and the price is a lot nicer. Great thread! ;D

Plc is around $2 a watt for a cxb3070 fixture. They're not expensive to manufacture, just everyone's still committed to their old tech mono led fixtures. I usually see DIY running around $1-1.50 a watt for 3070/3590 setups.

I think around $2 a watt is the sweet spot to justify the upgrade from HID. At that point electrical savings and not buying replacement hid bulbs pay for the upgrade by year 3.

what are you guys using to hang the fixture?
my heat sinks are 40'' long 5.886'' wide. I saw I think Apollo 51 that are 1/8 cord 150lb rated for 8 bucks + shipping. my ? w/ them, will they slip at all?
let me know what to use so I can adjust each light bar height and it stay safely. I now have them in a fixed height and want to be able to adjust.
Thanks

Back