Lighting DIY COB Based LED Growlight Build In Progress!

Not with these new pin heatsinks mate, not sure on exact measurements for the case yet, just getting my head around the design process. Yes all pre drilled and tapped.
I am going to build 2 of them 36 inch width.. Not sure if I am going with traditional heat sinks yet or the ones you have yet... I do like less watts ( no fans ) I am very interested to see how cool yours run

What fans? They are passive pin heatsinks, no need for fans. I'm designing a case for it, for now I'll use some aluminium bars.

View attachment 555702
I'm curious if you plan on cutting any vents in the top of the case? Even with those being passive, I'd want to watch for heat build up from them radiating out in that enclosed a space.

if you use the bar heat sinks you will need some fans mate. But not with these new pin versions, so far as I know anyway,

I'm curious if you plan on cutting any vents in the top of the case? Even with those being passive, I'd want to watch for heat build up from them radiating out in that enclosed a space.

The case will have holes in the top and bottom, the cobs mounted to the heatsinks will screw to the case. The case is more for aesthetics, and to keep the driver hidden plus wires etc

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 18.58.19.png

Sorry for jacking your thread Pop lol

Any progress pops?

UPDATE:

Sorry for the delay. And no, I haven't given up, just been busy with more things than I can do in a day, or week, or month....lol! Anyway, I mounted LEDs on 1 heatsink. I drilled 5/64 pilot holes, then 7/64. I used #4x1/2" sheetmetal screws. They work well in aluminum as self tapping screws. I had no problems drilling and the screws went in firmly. I used Artic Silver heatsink compound on the chips.

The led holders worked well. I even got the stranded 18 gauge wire to work with them. I stripped maybe a 1/2" of the wire, twisted it to stiffen, and pushed it in. The wire contact gripped the wire firmly. I tested this on a unmounted holder, so that I could pull to see how hard it was to pull the wire back out, once locked in. This way, i could test each connection as I went along.

Still haven't bought a decent soldering station, too much need, not enough money..... But I managed to solder wires to the pot so that i could dim the light.

Made temporary connections and powered it up............. SUCCESS!! WOOOOOOOO! Now two more to build. Still need parts for the third bar but I'll have them next month. I'll complete the other bar I have soon, and get them permanently wired. Hoping to be done it a week!

Pics:

DIY Cree 2530 light pic1 -4-25-2016.jpg
DIY Cree 2530 light pic2 -4-25-2016.jpg

Back