Lighting DIY COB Based LED Growlight Build In Progress!

it will probably work. To find your driver you nee3d to multiply the Vf ( forward voltage ) by the number of chips. your looking at being able to run exactly 4 CXB2530.
1.05 amps is pushing the chips pretty hard. Is it dimmable? My objective is to run at about 700ma ( .7 amp ) for greater effciency and longer chip life. However ,i am also running mine passive and 1050ma is right about the limit of my heatsink size for running passive. Having a dimmer however gives you the felxibility to set it wherever you want.
I've found a driver/COB combination that I can't decide if it would work. Seems to me it is so close to being "on the line" for the combination that I'm just not 100% sure. I'm thinking that with running them at 1.05A they would need a little less than the full 36V (from watching the vids where he talks about this) that's listed in the specs, but not sure if it would be by enough. Anyhow...it's got me feeling like there's a good chance it would NOT drive four of them, but that it just might. So wanted to see if others could double check me.

Would like to know if y'all think this driver:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...virtualkey63430000virtualkey709-ELG150-C1050B

Would fire up and run four of these COB's:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...tualkey57280000virtualkey941-CXB25300N0HT430G

Thanks!!!

yes, 700-800ma seems ideal for these chips. Waiting on my ammeters before I finish my build.

Thats pushing it Ozone, might work but chance it might not also, cxb2530s are rated at 800mA so 1A will raise the voltage some. Ive got 2530's right now running at 700mA and I like them there. If you go up to 30's or 35 cobs youd probably be ok tho.

Can't use that link. Got a brand and model number?

I know there are low price COBs out there, but personally, I choose to stick with Cree or Bridgelux COBs until another company proves theirs are as good. It isn't max power that matters, its max Lm/watt for white COBs, and its efficiency at various power steps. Even some companies like Citizen, etc make decent COBs, but do not match Cree and Bridgelux for efficiency. Thats why I went with the Cree CXA 2530, its capable of over 100Lm/watt and at 700ma is about 40% efficient. the CXA and CXB 3070 will stomp any LED on the market........ except the CXB 3590, which is Cree's current pinnacle. I suspect a new chip should hit the market soon. When it does, the 3070 series should be fairly cheap. Hell, i'd pay the $30 - $35 a chip they go for now if I could!

If anyone is looking for some cheap cobs, check these out https://www.cdiweb.com/secure/PortalProductDetail.aspx?ProdId=585062&ManufId=3039
162 l/watt and can handle over 2A for under $13 each....

clu048%20performance_zpsdug0ttdo.png

I'll have to look around, haven't seen anyone using these.

Those cxa 3050 look interesting and nice price! I may grab some as I don't expect they'll be around long, they were orphaned by the 3070 CXB

if you buy them, get those cob holders too, i think they are scarce for the 3050

Back