Lighting DIY COB Based LED Growlight Build In Progress!

Finally got pics of what I have so far. I've enough to build 2 bars and enough LEDs for the third bar. All I'll need is one more driver and one more heatsink. Should have those before month's end. I'll not be building the vertical hanger yet. Going to do a standard scrog grow with it first. Don't want too many headaches all at once....lol!

I ordered some 100k pots for the dimmers and a digital, combo volt/amp meter and a couple fancy project boxes. The boxes will house the WAGO connectors and wiring, the dimmer pot, the meter ( each will have its own in the end ), and a 9 volt power supply to run fans if I decide to run the light at higher power.

I also ordered more LED holders and one more CXA2530 that I'll use in my clone cab to boost the light levels of the DIY light already in there.

Parts:
DIY LED Parts-4-6-2016.jpg

Finally got pics of what I have so far. I've enough to build 2 bars and enough LEDs for the third bar. All I'll need is one more driver and one more heatsink. Should have those before month's end. I'll not be building the vertical hanger yet. Going to do a standard scrog grow with it first. Don't want too many headaches all at once....lol!

I ordered some 100k pots for the dimmers and a digital, combo volt/amp meter and a couple fancy project boxes. The boxes will house the WAGO connectors and wiring, the dimmer pot, the meter ( each will have its own in the end ), and a 9 volt power supply to run fans if I decide to run the light at higher power.

I also ordered more LED holders and one more CXA2530 that I'll use in my clone cab to boost the light levels of the DIY light already in there.

Parts:
View attachment 550408
Looks good bud... cant wait to see what comes of this... going to order a lux meter to use to play with dimming... can you think of a different meter to use instead?

Yes, for now I'll use a lux meter. There's a chart for correction factor to convert to ppf also. I'm actually going to regulate by milliamps if I get acceptable output at that level.

Looks good bud... cant wait to see what comes of this... going to order a lux meter to use to play with dimming... can you think of a different meter to use instead?

Yes, for now I'll use a lux meter. There's a chart for correction factor to convert to ppf also. I'm actually going to regulate by milliamps if I get acceptable output at that level.
Ok I would love to know how you do that but can wait for that post..

Stumbled across a brand of lights tonight using the CXB3590's. While the lights/prices don't at first glance strike me as anything whoop de do enough to make a note over, the picture of the light itself caught my attention because of the case they use. Looks like a tidy idea that a DIY type could incorporate to hide to wiring and guts but still allow some access when needed. Looks like maybe a repainted storage or organizer drawer that's been repurposed. Anyhow, to give credit where credit is due, the name of the lights manufacturer is Optic Lighting, and this is the image that shows the case:

optic-vero-250w-400w-led-grow-light-main.jpg

Stumbled across a brand of lights tonight using the CXB3590's. While the lights/prices don't at first glance strike me as anything whoop de do enough to make a note over, the picture of the light itself caught my attention because of the case they use. Looks like a tidy idea that a DIY type could incorporate to hide to wiring and guts but still allow some access when needed. Looks like maybe a repainted storage or organizer drawer that's been repurposed. Anyhow, to give credit where credit is due, the name of the lights manufacturer is Optic Lighting, and this is the image that shows the case:

I have seen that thing the price is ridiculous and that case is metal and I would prefer an aluminum case from r heat reasons

Yes Optic and a couple other companies make similar lights. And very good ones at that! The peoblem with CXB3590 based lights run with lenses is that they need 24" - 30" of clearance from the canopy.Run near peak efficiency, they put out 147 lm/watt! And the lenses and or reflectors add weight and cost to the light.

I like the design and the use of an industrial parts box for a case! I prefer the design I'm using as it allows me to mount my drivers, etc, remotely. i could mount everything on the heatsinks, but ten I'd be blocking airflow and adding weight to the light. Just the three heatsinks will weigh around 20 pounds.

And I'd buy from Optic if I had the money, their price isn't bad for what your getting. Its a good light.

I like the design and the use of an industrial parts box for a case! I prefer the design I'm using as it allows me to mount my drivers, etc, remotely. i could mount everything on the heatsinks, but ten I'd be blocking airflow and adding weight to the light. Just the three heatsinks will weigh around 20 pounds.

I like the parts box idea because I find myself leaning toward wanting to do something along the lines of an 18-20inch or so square setup, so these type boxes could be around the right size. I think a couple of the long bars like your doing across my closet would work as well, though. I keep going back and forth on what I think would be the better setup for my space.

After owning several "square" Chinese lights, I can say I don't like the square light form, as it never lights the space evenly. Rectangular lights I feel are better as you can space 2-3 to give you complete coverage. I'm looking to get as even a footprint from my light as possible.

I like the parts box idea because I find myself leaning toward wanting to do something along the lines of an 18-20inch or so square setup, so these type boxes could be around the right size. I think a couple of the long bars like your doing across my closet would work as well, though. I keep going back and forth on what I think would be the better setup for my space.

Back