Lighting DIY COB Based LED Growlight Build In Progress!

nice I bet your getting the itch to start drilling and soldering

For sure! Got a friend with a drill press so it will make it easier and quicker! Still need to design and build a frame and a way to hang it. I've an idea how I want it, just got to sketch it in Libre Office Draw.
I'm planning to mount the drivers separate from the lights, like you would a ballast to keep weight down.

nice I bet your getting the itch to start drilling and soldering

For sure! Got a friend with a drill press so it will make it easier and quicker! Still need to design and build a frame and a way to hang it. I've an idea how I want it, just got to sketch it in Libre Office Draw.
I'm planning to mount the drivers separate from the lights, like you would a ballast to keep weight down.
aluminum angle iron I have see used and it looks good to... also semi cheap.. drill holes and tap them for the angle iron.

Yes thats what I'm planning. I want it to slide left and right on pipe tracks. I may make a pivot in the center so that I can flip it to horizontal if/when needed. Figure if I'm putting in all this work and money, may as well try to make it as useful as possible!
aluminum angle iron I have see used and it looks good to... also semi cheap.. drill holes and tap them for the angle iron.

I just ordered these Wago 222-415 wire connectors. Should make for a nice, clean wiring job! I'll probably mount a box on each panel with these in them to connect the individual COBs. Then have a single cable come in from the driver. I'll also mount the 100k pot for the dimmer in it, and I'm thinking an ammeter to set the amperage precisely across all bars.

wago connector.jpg

nope sorry, pot and meter need to be on the board with the drivers!

I just ordered these Wago 222-415 wire connectors. Should make for a nice, clean wiring job! I'll probably mount a box on each panel with these in them to connect the individual COBs. Then have a single cable come in from the driver. I'll also mount the 100k pot for the dimmer in it, and I'm thinking an ammeter to set the amperage precisely across all bars.

View attachment 547864
Yeah I have some as well Growmau5 really preaches those things....especially if you want to change this later.. makes it faster.

I do not understand why dimming? why not just run them wide open?

Yes, I love his builds! Mine will look a bit more.......... industrial than his but the plants said they don't care..........lol!

Yeah I have some as well Growmau5 really preaches those things....especially if you want to change this later.. makes it faster.

I'm looking for an increase in PPFD and increased efficiency. Running at 700 ma, they should be about 46% efficient. And, I'd still have the option to crank them up! The goal is to reduce power consumption while increasing available photons!

I do not understand why dimming? why not just run them wide open?

Back