Indoor davisgirl does DWC in a crazy grow tent

DG, i'm with you on the CalMag - my last two rounds (perhaps in-sync' with becoming braver with my cobs?) i've had very CalMag hungry babies from 12-14 days onward. i also cringe when i put in anything full-strength :yoinks:

Thanks for the insight Fren ... I’m singing the calmag blues. I love my girls and they give me ugly leaves. New growers hear all the time “less is more” and “quarter strength” that I feel guilty feeding anything full strength. Not sure about hype either — she’s not “supposed” to need any calmag at all. She’s getting MC 2.0, and CalMagPro, and she’s still getting a deficiency? At 3 weeks? So I was going to give CalMagPro at 125% in her new reservoir today. But it’s worth a day or two delay to feed it at full strength along with the Epsom salts in today’s res change. Can I use the magnesium sulfate from a box at the store, maybe powder it down with a mortar and pestle? So many questions I know ... the most important one — I lump the calmag together, but I know they are 2 different things, is what you’re seeing more mag related? Thanks.

Fren may have more insight, but anytime I used epsom yes I just used the stuff from the store, and it dissolves in water just fine without crushing it. I'm more used to using it in baths, so if you want to dissolve it in a small cup of hot water and add it to your mix that works. I actually am seeing more magnesium def than calcium def this go around, especially in my sativas so I'll add epsom too, thanks for bringing it up Frenjamin!
Don't feel bad about using full strength if you have to for nutes, often you need to slowly bring it up until you notice some burn and then back down from there to find that sweet spot. It's easier in hydro in my opinion as you can correct it faster than in soil.

Fren may have more insight, but anytime I used epsom yes I just used the stuff from the store, and it dissolves in water just fine without crushing it. I'm more used to using it in baths, so if you want to dissolve it in a small cup of hot water and add it to your mix that works. I actually am seeing more magnesium def than calcium def this go around, especially in my sativas so I'll add epsom too, thanks for bringing it up Frenjamin!
Don't feel bad about using full strength if you have to for nutes, often you need to slowly bring it up until you notice some burn and then back down from there to find that sweet spot. It's easier in hydro in my opinion as you can correct it faster than in soil.
Thanks for the help Rivet. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck. I’m going to start her at 100% calmag pro dose and add mag sulfate, I’ve already been to the market and got it. I found instructions for 1 tsp/gallon, I’m going to go with 1/2 tsp/gallon because I figure I can always add more.

Thanks for the help Rivet. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck. I’m going to start her at 100% calmag pro dose and add mag sulfate, I’ve already been to the market and got it. I found instructions for 1 tsp/gallon, I’m going to go with 1/2 tsp/gallon because I figure I can always add more.

Yeah less is definitely more when you are adding things in, best of luck to your gals perking up from deficiencies; it's the next most frustrating thing to figure out after pests/diseases that's for sure :cuss:

Thanks for the insight Fren ... I’m singing the calmag blues. I love my girls and they give me ugly leaves. New growers hear all the time “less is more” and “quarter strength” that I feel guilty feeding anything full strength. Not sure about hype either — she’s not “supposed” to need any calmag at all. She’s getting MC 2.0, and CalMagPro, and she’s still getting a deficiency? At 3 weeks? So I was going to give CalMagPro at 125% in her new reservoir today. But it’s worth a day or two delay to feed it at full strength along with the Epsom salts in today’s res change. Can I use the magnesium sulfate from a box at the store, maybe powder it down with a mortar and pestle? So many questions I know ... the most important one — I lump the calmag together, but I know they are 2 different things, is what you’re seeing more mag related? Thanks.

If you are still having Cal-Mag issues with those additions I would look at your PH. Make double sure your meter is accurate and let the PH in your reservoir wander around in the range 5.6 to 6.3. If that does not work then it is genetic. I have had a couple of plants that displayed Cal-Mag problems no matter what I did.

If you are still having Cal-Mag issues with those additions I would look at your PH. Make double sure your meter is accurate and let the PH in your reservoir wander around in the range 5.6 to 6.3. If that does not work then it is genetic. I have had a couple of plants that displayed Cal-Mag problems no matter what I did.
Thanks for the reminder on the calibration, I did a quick check earlier on the 7.0 solution and it was coming in at 7.1 so I figured I was good for now. I’m going to do let my pH run a little lower. Hopefully between the Epsom salts and the lowering of pH I can resolve the issue once and for all. I’d heard of using Epsom salts a hundred times but I guessed I dismissed the idea too early. Still learning MOG!

Thanks for the reminder on the calibration, I did a quick check earlier on the 7.0 solution and it was coming in at 7.1 so I figured I was good for now. I’m going to do let my pH run a little lower. Hopefully between the Epsom salts and the lowering of pH I can resolve the issue once and for all. I’d heard of using Epsom salts a hundred times but I guessed I dismissed the idea too early. Still learning MOG!

Haven't had any real issues yet but I'm see some on my AG on the bottom leaves. So I added 3 tsp epsom salt to my 4 gallon bucket with the grow and soil balance. Just in case!

Last edited:
:cheers:
Been using generic epsom at Wally World at 1/4 tsp but can’t imagine 1/2 would hurt. I don’t mind a little stem color but if it starts to darken and the leaves show then up it.

I was also running for 5.9 Ph and letting it drop when it does as low as 5.7, I now let it start at 6.2 and drop to 5.8. Not sure if the uptake range is better but it has been working for me.

I have been waiting till the 4th week before really adding the supplements. My first few grows I had dark green leaves at week three. Now I’ve been keeping the nutrients lower, light green new growth and just slightly dark tips. They seem to be more aggressive this way. My first few grows my EC meter was pegged by week 4. No more.

And here is my bombshell for the day. I just finished two plants at 12 weeks in DWC 8 gallon buckets and I NEVER changed out the water. No lockout, no problems at all. Water was as healthy and stable on the last day as the first. No body changes soil, if they screw up they flush. I figured Hydro same. Shouldn’t need to change unless I did something wrong. Might have been luck but all my other grows Before that I would only change at transition to get a lot of the nitrogen out, MC1. From now on I’ll be using alot less in veg and running the same water unless lockout or other issues.

Disclaimer
I have no clue what I’m doing or talking about so take anything with large amounts of caution

:cheers:
Been using generic epsom at Wally World at 1/4 tsp but can’t imagine 1/2 would hurt. I don’t mind a little stem color but if it starts to darken and the leaves show then up it.

I was also running for 5.9 Ph and letting it drop when it does as low as 5.7, I now let it start at 6.2 and drop to 5.8. Not sure if the uptake range is better but it has been working for me.

I have been waiting till the 4th week before really adding the supplements. My first few grows I had dark green leaves at week three. Now I’ve been keeping the nutrients lower, light green new growth and just slightly dark tips. They seem to be more aggressive this way. My first few grows my EC meter was pegged by week 4. No more.

And here is my bombshell for the day. I just finished two plants at 12 weeks in DWC 8 gallon buckets and I NEVER changed out the water. No lockout, no problems at all. Water was as healthy and stable on the last day as the first. No body changes soil, if they screw up they flush. I figured Hydro same. Shouldn’t need to change unless I did something wrong. Might have been luck but all my other grows Before that I would only change at transition to get a lot of the nitrogen out, MC1. From now on I’ll be using alot less in veg and running the same water unless lockout or other issues.

Disclaimer
I have no clue what I’m doing or talking about so take anything with large amounts of caution

I might be running my nutes a little high I’m going to look into it.

Pictures or it didn’t happen. :smoking:

Ok it’s officially time to bring in the big guns! @Mañ'O'Green your presence is requested in this most delicate situation of 21 day old Miss GSC, currently suffering from ugly leaves. She was just wearing a ponytail on her top leaves which is why they look fucked up:
24A32B34-53EB-4D5A-9525-9641C767B913.jpeg
13502B86-ADAC-4180-A19F-86A9E2BCB8E6.jpeg
7AD0BD47-4BD0-4BDA-8281-3FA1FAF2A9F1.jpeg

Here is the res change she just got:
2A8A7C59-5706-4993-847B-A2A88524EF3C.png
7CA73256-E0B7-4816-A753-C2F518A2D18B.jpeg

Back