Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I thought of one reason to maybe start seeds in a small cup versus directly into the end goal pot when there aren't "soil in the pot is too rich for seedlings" type reasons. If I'm starting several, say 5 or 6, then that many five gallon pots (or even three gallon) take up enough space I'd need to run most all my grow lights. If I do five little mini-Solo cups, I could cram them all under a single smaller light and save a few bucks on electric. Only for a week or so, though, so pretty flimsy reason.

:chimp:

Ok, I thought of one reason to maybe start seeds in a small cup versus directly into the end goal pot when there aren't "soil in the pot is too rich for seedlings" type reasons. If I'm starting several, say 5 or 6, then that many five gallon pots (or even three gallon) take up enough space I'd need to run most all my grow lights. If I do five little mini-Solo cups, I could cram them all under a single smaller light and save a few bucks on electric. Only for a week or so, though, so pretty flimsy reason.

I see it being beneficial for over watering problems I see a smaller cup I see less water needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all! They don't need all the light, and will save you a few bucks... at the same time, you also shouldn't have to cram them up as they won't need the intensity, initially, as well.

Give us some info on your space (Sq ft) and the # and type lights?

I would assume, fewer lights centered and raised for coverage, adding light and lowering till @ your final target height with all lights?

not much clear left. Might chop the beast today or tomo.
What yous guys think
15116562468192092052613.jpg
151165637426663811252.jpg
1511656422886723592587.jpg
1511656466486850864944.jpg
15116565444541421427567.jpg
1511656635937658847445.jpg
15116566607562128813599.jpg

Not at all! They don't need all the light, and will save you a few bucks... at the same time, you also shouldn't have to cram them up as they won't need the intensity, initially, as well.

Give us some info on your space (Sq ft) and the # and type lights?

I would assume, fewer lights centered and raised for coverage, adding light and lowering till @ your final target height with all lights?

It's not so much the type of lights I was thinking about as it's the amount of time involved that would make it something to be weighed if it was worth it. For me, I run 18/6 light cycles, so if I used one of my smallest lights in veg mode at 50W versus all my lights in both spaces at around 400W I'd save about 6.3Kwh per day. Or with an electricity rate of around ten cents per Kwh over ten days it would save about $6.50 worth of electricity. Now if someone was talking like thousands of watts difference or over several weeks time, biiiiiiiig difference. :smoking:

It's not so much the type of lights I was thinking about as it's the amount of time involved that would make it something to be weighed if it was worth it. For me, I run 18/6 light cycles, so if I used one of my smallest lights in veg mode at 50W versus all my lights in both spaces at around 400W I'd save about 6.3Kwh per day. Or with an electricity rate of around ten cents per Kwh over ten days it would save about $6.50 worth of electricity. Now if someone was talking like thousands of watts difference or over several weeks time, biiiiiiiig difference. :smoking:
Shit man, I'm moving there! Northern ca, .29 cents per kwh.

Last edited:
California mindset:

See, what happens is we don't pay attention while pg&e neglects their equipment. Then their equipment causes a major disaster... they get sued, found guilty, spend a million and a half on an apology add.... and pass all the costs on to the people.... who cheer that big pg&e was punished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back