Hmm, I'm thinking this may be the route I take..I'm super new to the cob world, just been observing from the sidelines. I have a GL80 2'7"x2'7"x5'11" and try to squeeze 3-4 plants in there..I currently run a Mars II 400 and a 250 w HPS in there ( super cold outside) Would 2 @ 3500k be enough from seedling to finish to score me some dense buds and a decent harvest, or would 3 be ideal? Does the autocob give you the option to choose 3500k?

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm thinking this may be the route I take..I'm super new to the cob world, just been observing from the sidelines. I have a GL80 2'7"x2'7"x5'11" and try to squeeze 3-4 plants in there..I currently run a Mars II 400 and a 250 w HPS in there ( super cold outside) Would 2 @ 3500k be enough from seedling to finish to score me some dense buds and a decent harvest, or would 3 be ideal? Does the autocob give you the option to choose 3500k?
I can assure you cobs are the way to go. Whether you buy from afn or elsewhere I'd much rather see you buy lights that don't waste 80% of there energy in heat. This size tent I would recommend 3. You could start with 2 which would be enough for veg up to the start of flower then add in the third. I'd even make sure the third one at a later date shipped for free if you were to go this route.

Last edited:
So here is a little test info for the masses, kinda give you an idea of the power of the AutoCob.

2x2x3 tent, small fan and light extraction, air exchange is a must folks.

What I want to talk about here is something that a typical eye might miss due to the fact they are watching someone else grow. I want to put raw eyes on what is actually going on in the tent. My intent with these lights was to test them, it still is and that is why I am here in your ear now.

So previous to me running the COB's I was running a 250watt cfl, not the "watts like" but a mogul based true reflector and hooded CFL. This was 6-8 in above my previous litter of chili seedlings. This was to keep node spacing right and avoid any unnecessary stretch to the plant.

In the below pic take a look at the bottom center pot. That is a 4in pot that has my one of my pepper crosses in it. The COB is 23 in over the top of those guys.....and I have zero stretch, and here is the thing, they are not directly under the diode either they are on the outer ring of the footprint. Showing some power here, and the cups that look like space ships, they are exactly that.

:coffee:

full

And you've done an awesome job of it too!

:slap:

I'm here.

3 would do amazing in a 2x4 tent. Even 2 would work pretty well. The goal as you mentioned is to get a quality light source into rooms or tents without the hassle of DIY and without costing a mortgage payment. I'm all for DIY and still love to help people get set up. This is for those who don't want to bother with it for the little money savings.

Time for my weekly update. Things are looking great in there, The seedling test, the topping and transplanting tests have all gone well. Ive also started a few other seedling under them and this is what i can provide so far.

veggie seedlings such as peppers can be around 20in from the lights and will do fine.

canna seedlings can be around 17 inches from the lights and there is zero stretch. @BigSm0 ill be over in the other thread here in a little bit. Saw the tags, just have been busy.

full

full

full

Last edited:
I'd have covered that address on the yardstick........ Anyway, looking good!

:cheers::pass:

Time for my weekly update. Things are looking great in there, The seedling test, the topping and transplanting tests have all gone well. Ive also started a few other seedling under them and this is what i can provide so far.

veggie seedlings such as peppers can be around 20in from the lights and will do fine.

canna seedlings can be around 17 inches from the lights and there is zero stretch. @BigSm0 ill be over in the other thread here in a little bit. Saw the tags, just have been busy.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
So I typically don't jump the gun but things need to be shared here... @BigSm0 your lights so far are doing their thing nicely at 15-17 inches above the seedlings. No leaf curl and certainly no stretch. I would say that this is a safe distance to state with people starting seeds under them. That is always the number one question I see people posting about is light distances. So I can officially say, for a mostly indica based strain that 15-17 in above the seedling is ideal for its growth as a seedling. I'm sure that we can get closer but there is no need right now. Here is the thing that I like, I am getting the same type of node growth at this distance as I would my 250 HPS, that is the distance I would place my 250 over seedlings was 17-18 in and raised it as they grew to keep the distance between there and 12in for flower.

With that said, we will see what I need to do for them in flower, I am going to get them as close as I can right to the point of curl and back it off an 1/2 and get those measurements for you.. All in all I am pleased with what I am seeing here and I can imagine that I will be able to drop them down to the 10-12in range for flower.

full

full

Back