It was such a relief and good feeling when I finally made the switch from cheap to quality. The few bucks saved isnt worth a potentially lower yield and constant second guessing the product you just paid hard earned money for. This was inside an eBay light I bought. It's a driver without a housing but heatshrink tubing and that's a mini bic lighter for reference.
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG

Cree is a great brand, but know the difference between models when buying. Cxa is older than the cxb, the 3070 is older than the 3590. Not sure on the exact efficiency numbers but I do know a cxa3070 is almost no comparison to a cxb3590.

Not trying to steer you away but help educate you and others a little. Ask the questions you have concerns about before buying. Don't buy and just assume it's got good internals or the cobs are the newest tech and top bin. Most companies use every angle possible to cut costs.

^ Exactly why I haven't pulled the trigger. I've dealt with enough product from China over the past 10-15 years to know it's about a 80% chance you'll get junk if you can't get all the details.

Money isn't an issue but I'd rather be sure I'm upgrading because I know someone who'd be very happy with my HID setup.

I don't need the best of the best of the best but I do need good, dependable, and proven is a major bonus. lol. That's why I'm here and not ebay.

Greetings @Creature welcome to the feature. I am the proud owner of 3 AutoCobs that
blast a 4 x 3 closet. After doing much research as I am sure you are doing you must trust
the "Cob Force". Master @BigSm0 has given you a taste of his knowledge. Use this
knowledge to your advantage. I appreciate his no B.S. style when it comes to discussion
about LED Cobs. Good luck.

Who cares if 3070 are older... The same we can say with Citizen 1212, 1818, 1812. 3070 are still 45-50% efficient driven at 1.2- 1.4A!

Here is link to calculator:
http://pct.cree.com/dt/index.html
I have heard this calculator is far from accurate. 45% on a 3070 while the newer is 62%? the reason for the older and newer comment is the newest cobs are only released as they have made advancements on them. It's not an older 3590 vs a newer 3590. It's an older less efficient cob vs a newer more efficient cob.

I wish I had the info I needed on Cree cobs. The 3590 is 2 years old now I believe? Atleast 1.5 years old. It's not like each release we all need to jump on but understand this is the reason the 2530's are not being used anymore. After a couple years it's not the smartest idea to buy the older tech. My 70" LED tv draws 65 watts at the wall. My older 50" plasma pulled 498 watts at the wall. Sure plasmas are cheap as chips now but not the smartest investment.

I have heard this calculator is far from accurate. 45% on a 3070 while the newer is 62%? the reason for the older and newer comment is the newest cobs are only released as they have made advancements on them. It's not an older 3590 vs a newer 3590. It's an older less efficient cob vs a newer more efficient cob.

Yea, I've heard this too. From people who want to believe what other member on other forum says. So until someone don't upload real data, this PCT calculator is holy grail and only truth.
It's same story with Citizen, people who have them says that are more efficient than Citizen test shows. But again, no measurable data on this, so take it as it is.
Bottom line, all these COBs are good, difference at efficiency from 0.5A to 2A is minimal between each other. They all grow great plants.

Yea, I've heard this too. From people who want to believe what other member on other forum says. So until someone don't upload real data, this PCT calculator is holy grail and only truth.
It's same story with Citizen, people who have them says that are more efficient than Citizen test shows. But again, no measurable data on this, so take it as it is.
Bottom line, all these COBs are good, difference at efficiency from 0.5A to 2A is minimal between each other. They all grow great plants.
I fully agree and would hate for this place to be a spec sheet forum like the rest. Buuut 17% more light per watt isn't splitting hairs either. I just completed 1.62gpw under 3070's. If I had the option of 3590's I wouldn't hesitate. As long as people are informed which was the purpose for the comment I'm happy. They all grow great even my older 2530's. What I don't like seeing companies name dropping to suck in customers. For example if someone asked about a Cree cob light for sale on eBay for instance that said they used the highest quality Cree cobs, best par and 30 band spectrum but also used Cree 1507's and hestshrink wrapped drivers. My reply would probably be the same as the initial.

I thought they had the spherical test data out already? Could be wrong but I believe growmau5 just did an interview with robyn from northern grow lights and he had some testing done with sphere. I believe it was citizen/cree and the quantum board. I could be wrong it was a very long interview. I could also be missing the whole point of the conversation lol.

I thought they had the spherical test data out already? Could be wrong but I believe growmau5 just did an interview with robyn from northern grow lights and he had some testing done with sphere. I believe it was citizen/cree and the quantum board. I could be wrong it was a very long interview. I could also be missing the whole point of the conversation lol.

The data is out. It also prove that Citizen is a contender just as much as Cree but for 1/2 the price per cob. I don't want to get into comparisons and cob debates. As konop said they are all very good cobs. The whole point of my og message was to help inform @Creature the differences between a undetermined cxa or cxb 3070 to the most efficient Cree cob the cxb3590. If the driver and heatsink in the eBay light is of decent quality and the price fits then buy it. If not there are plenty of other options. could even check out cobshop.net I just listed some partially built units ready to slap into a frame that eliminate a lot of the aspects of DIY. Add in a hlg-240-1050 for a 300 dollar 220w masterpiece.

Back