Lighting Cobkits Light Engines!

Looks freaking awesome! Im leaning towards going with 9 50w cobs in 3 rows of 3 for 450w
Would love to then do a side by side comparison with a hps same strain same setup and nutes
Night and day difference. That setup sounds pretty good and drivers are fairly inexpensive for 150w too.

the Citizen 1825 at 50 watts is very efficient and the numbers in this chart are very conservative. If I remember correctly, the 3500k 1825 can hit 60% efficiency at 50 watts!

That 9 cob light would be a killer imo!

Citizen 1825 data.jpg

Looks freaking awesome! Im leaning towards going with 9 50w cobs in 3 rows of 3 for 450w
Would love to then do a side by side comparison with a hps same strain same setup and nutes

Sanguine these are some of my favorite cob pictures I have. I never ever pulled weight like I do now with hps in the past. As Pop said about 2/3 less energy but I think it's deeper than that. The bud quality is way better as I'd say it's closer to double the production of hps. Nevermind epistar leds which I ran my fair share of too.

View attachment 666851 View attachment 666850
Every time I see that top photo I goo look at my little tent and just weep. That is how it IS done.

So a question, what pot are you guys using as a dimmer? What are the specs. I would like to source one and have it standing by for when I can get a driver and second 1212 so that I can put them on a stout driver and then bring their output down to a more efficient level until I can get a 3rd then 4th cob. Looks as though I could get a HLG-185h-1400b for a shade over $50 plus shipping. If I added another cob and home mount it with a pot in place that would give em a substantial boost in output. I am thinking I could get that together before my next run and see them from start to finish. Looks as though I could do it for under $70 total so I think I can go another month on soba noodles.

I see what @pop22 was talking about on the bud formation with the cheap cobs. They are growing but I don't see that robust formation that I wanted. So up another level onto the slippery slope that is DIY I go. I want to get to where it takes 4 square for minimum for each plant and light seems to be my bottleneck now.

Crap, I got allot to learn...

Check the drivers from cobkits. The hbg-120-58 is roughly a 100w adjustable current driver for 32$ and the 185-58 is a 150w driver for $44. No need for a potentiometer with these and they are priced great.

Those 1825s look awesome but im in the uk and cheapest i can find is 40 quid each plus 40 for delivery from usa.
1212s are on ebay uk at the minute at 40 for a 5 pack

1212 will work fine, just slightly less efficient, yet quite good they have become the go to budget chip. They'll serve you well.

Those 1825s look awesome but im in the uk and cheapest i can find is 40 quid each plus 40 for delivery from usa.
1212s are on ebay uk at the minute at 40 for a 5 pack

1212 will work fine, just slightly less efficient, yet quite good they have become the go to budget chip. They'll serve you well.
Should do a good job then.
Also need 3 drivers- something like a meanwell LPV 150w?
theyre about 50 quid each so drivers and cobs for £230

Last edited:
Back