Outdoor Co-planting for camouflage - what plants?

Good call on that one 912. A few other ideas would be to train the plants to stay low..cut the leaves to "not" look like canna by rounding the leaf shape( if that makes sense) or attatch fake or real flowers to rhe plants to draw attention away from the tell tale shape of the plant/leaves...

Yeah totally...I would love to see what trimming the serrations of the leaves would do. So many questions like, would it slow growth?

Yeah totally...I would love to see what trimming the serrations of the leaves would do. So many questions like, would it slow growth?

This is also one of the easiest and most convincing methods,
round the leaf tips or trim serrations.
Could be interesting sideline experiment for me...

My yard used to be (I'm in a condo now) a plant zoo. The variety of plants you can use as camo are almost endless. Big plants like Castor bean (poisonous) will draw attention away from MJ but beans on poles or Morning Glory/Sweet Peas on trellis can add height where you need it as well (don't over shade your herb garden). Keep in mind you will want MJ strains that don't go over 3-4 feet or train them to grow more horizontal. Cleome is another lookalike that can be placed more prominently as a distraction, the leaves are similar but the flowers are different. Lots of variety and colors distracts the eye away from some hidden herb so plants like large Dahlias, Canna lily and Glads will provide lots of mid/late summer blooms. Many ornamental plants are poisonous, I had to warn a neighbor that just nibbling on leaves in my yard was not a survival trait. Digitalis, Aconitum, Ricinus were just a few of the killers in my yard (that and my shovel). Even with these and many other plants in my yard I only kept a few special plants in my greenhouse before moving to remote locations, just too many looky-loos around.

My yard used to be (I'm in a condo now) a plant zoo. The variety of plants you can use as camo are almost endless. Big plants like Castor bean (poisonous) will draw attention away from MJ but beans on poles or Morning Glory/Sweet Peas on trellis can add height where you need it as well (don't over shade your herb garden). Keep in mind you will want MJ strains that don't go over 3-4 feet or train them to grow more horizontal. Cleome is another lookalike that can be placed more prominently as a distraction, the leaves are similar but the flowers are different. Lots of variety and colors distracts the eye away from some hidden herb so plants like large Dahlias, Canna lily and Glads will provide lots of mid/late summer blooms. Many ornamental plants are poisonous, I had to warn a neighbor that just nibbling on leaves in my yard was not a survival trait. Digitalis, Aconitum, Ricinus were just a few of the killers in my yard (that and my shovel). Even with these and many other plants in my yard I only kept a few special plants in my greenhouse before moving to remote locations, just too many looky-loos around.

Thank you, @arcticjake , my man!

:love:

Jasmine is the Best smell cover..it Mingles with the canna smell..also Honeysuckle..Lavender...Roses..

I presently have three little pots with lavender seedlings, about 3-4 seedlings per pot.

I just need the cover for a couple of weeks vegetative growth.
After that they'll go outside into the bush, where camouflage really won't matter much.

So originally was thinking of things to cover the young seedling plants,
not so much about the smell of the flowers.

Still, good advice, much appreciated!

Indigenous and other locally-growing weeds might do the job. Just look around and see what might work (or wait for spring and pick among first/fastest-growing weeds). For example, maybe ragweed for camouflage (in NE US).

Besides camouflage, plants can also be used for defense, keeping people away or simply giving them a reason to not bother to check out an area. For example, in the suburban park I live right next to, there are small areas where one ever goes in the summer due to poison ivy and nasty sticker (weedy rose or thistle) bushes. But if you start early in the season, you can make your own path in and hide that too.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/ecb09be018a60a1873d576bdaebc2cf7.jpg[/
Sometimes just putting them out there and let them blend in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indigenous and other locally-growing weeds might do the job. Just look around and see what might work (or wait for spring and pick among first/fastest-growing weeds). For example, maybe ragweed for camouflage (in NE US).

Besides camouflage, plants can also be used for defense, keeping people away or simply giving them a reason to not bother to check out an area. For example, in the suburban park I live right next to, there are small areas where one ever goes in the summer due to poison ivy and nasty sticker (weedy rose or thistle) bushes. But if you start early in the season, you can make your own path in and hide that too.

yeah, that would seem the most "natural" method.

Back