Pot design techniques for water retention in low rain guerrilla grow?

I would think some type of miniature sip can work . Or in effect a hempy style bucket. But the suggestion above will work very well the ground does not dry out as far or fast as a container with a healthy plant.

'Carpe diem et fumum veriditas'

Ok, I see. So the hempy is kind of like what I said by putting stones at the bottom,
and the holes 1" to 2" up on the sides (rather than at the bottom), right?

Hmm.... looks like buckets may be the way to go.
But... they are more obvious from a distance too.
Someone might see, come over to score a free bucket...

Have to think about this.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's been very helpful!!!

Love and hugs,
MJS

I currently have lettuce growing in Styrofoam boxes with a few holes poked in the side about 2 inches from the bottom. I have put gravel on the bottom of the box and filled with potting mix. I just water until it runs out of the holes. I usually only water them a couple of times a week, it seems to work ok its 36c here today and they are doing well the Styrofoam seems to keep the roots cool. I have never tried it with canna only vegetables so far.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback!!

Those would be ideal, but ... no idea where to get them here.
Avoiding importing for various reasons, not just big customs duties here...
I'm keeping my eyes open for any local sources, but have my doubts...

Should be available at any garden center.
44b38630-7e09-4fa3-9a55-2f1ae94de639_1.be6eb72c38e098e85dfbc2359f631f02.jpeg
Water-retention-crystals-765x510.jpg

Hi @trailanimal !!

Ok, cool. If Trail and Hecno are saying the same thing, I better take note!
I think if I use buckets, I'll put them in plastic bags on the outside.
Part of that is to disguise an otherwise obvious bucket,
and part of that is to insulate bucket walls against direct sunlight.
Of course, make enough holes in the bag so it doesn't become a swimming pool... :p

Now have to think how to do mulch here....

Hmmm.... not sure what that is about!
You can chop up what ever vegetation is around to create a moist shady zone around bucket. Roots and plants won't come into contact with this, so you can use about anything. The mulch for the surface of the pot is another story. I'd try for a thick layer of straw. Manure and compost work great, but are always providing some N, so that needs to be factored. Straw would be good, won't interfere with your feeding regime. Straw will use some N at the surface of the soil to aid decomp.

Maria-

Is growing in the ground out of the question? Since you were over on my thread about the holes I’m digging for next season. If it is, and you are pretty certain you’re going to have minimal rainfall, what about digging larger holes and lining them with plastic to prevent water loss? This would allow you the lower soil temps to help slow water loss in your growing soil. Dig them deep enough that the surface of you soil is 4”-6” below the grade of the ground so you have a depression to gather water during rains and enough room to add a thick layer of mulch to retain water without making it noticeable. Since you mentioned it’s guerilla style. If there’s any slope, build a slight berm to channel water into your holes when it does rain.

I totally agree on the water retaining crystals! They’re inexpensive and light so you should be able to have them shipped to you without great expense; no matter where you live.

You’ve got some awesome guys, with way more knowledge than me, helping you. Their advice is ‘golden;’ but I figured I’d throw in my own

I currently have lettuce growing in Styrofoam boxes with a few holes poked in the side about 2 inches from the bottom. I have put gravel on the bottom of the box and filled with potting mix. I just water until it runs out of the holes. I usually only water them a couple of times a week, it seems to work ok its 36c here today and they are doing well the Styrofoam seems to keep the roots cool. I have never tried it with canna only vegetables so far.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Ok. That kind of sounds like what I was thinking, just with styrofoam.
I doesn't get up to 36C here, but constantly low 30sC, every day.
Thank you!

You can chop up what ever vegetation is around to create a moist shady zone around bucket. Roots and plants won't come into contact with this, so you can use about anything. The mulch for the surface of the pot is another story. I'd try for a thick layer of straw. Manure and compost work great, but are always providing some N, so that needs to be factored. Straw would be good, won't interfere with your feeding regime. Straw will use some N at the surface of the soil to aid decomp.

Good advice, thank you!
There are lots of 10' high reed around here, and shorter grasses, too.

I really need to see how much local compost / soil I can get, first.

Back