Cloning Autoflowers

Here's the podcast episode about cloning. She has more info on her instagram, but it's private and I don't want to set up an IG account. :shrug:

That was very informative! Though as with all things, needs validation. But coincidentally, I've just had a great chat with a grower that manages to push autos up to 16 weeks with heavy training. I don't see the merit of it as opposed to 2x 8 week .... however the prime directive is the same. Use the first nodes before flowering, either you can propagate and "reset" the clock, or train and extend veg time.

I'd rather clone to make seeds and start a new cycle
_

Right, independent validation would be good. Ongoing cloning for multiple generations doesn't really fit my growing style, but I'll probably also try it at some point and reverse the clones for seeds. I've lost a couple whole plants to an unsuccessful attempt with colloidal silver, and it was a big disappointment.

It seems like the new info refutes this part. According to Tara/cbd.irie talking about cloning autos on the Autoflower Podcast and Cheap Home Grow, her 5th or 6th generations of clones were still in veg after the first had already been harvested. She stressed that you need to get the timing right when taking clones, it needs to be when the side branches are substantial enough for cuttings but before flowering has started, but then the "clock" (which is likely hormonal) can get reset.

I don't know if I can link to it, but it's Autoflower Podscast episode 14.

This might beg the question though "were they really autoflowers?" There was a grower on Facebook that used to brag about how many harvests he'd get from his one auto mother lol.... and he said "well, I bought it as an autoflower." But how many times have we seen autos NOT autoflower, but instead show photo dominance (psssst, that makes them a photoperiod if they require that reduction of light to properly finish.)

Ruderalis can be breed into photos not with the intention of making full automatics, but to pull in ruderal characteristics, like fast maturation/pre-flowering, that may exhibit a lot of the same characteristics of autos, but are in fact not actually autoflowering.

Of course, we talked (was it in this thread) about how cold temperatures can actually put autos into an almost state of suspended animation. Was it @Proph that puts his clones in the fridge to slow them down?

Of course, we talked (was it in this thread) about how cold temperatures can actually put autos into an almost state of suspended animation. Was it @Proph that puts his clones in the fridge to slow them down?
I've done that with photo period cuts. Longest I've gone is 3-4 weeks. Haven't tried it with autos yet.

Furthermore, the grower I was talking to is silky_smooth, which does stuff like this on autos. I thought it would be impossible but she explained the method to me, and it coincidentally matched the podcast claims.

This is Fastbud Gorilla Glue Auto at week 8 from seed, using 20/4, and has not sexed yet

UDwxj6f.jpg

Same plant, last week before harvest, week 15 !!

etUGzM4.jpg

Fastbuds rates this strain at 9-10 week. Apparently, the trick here is to top at the very first node, train her out flat and keep removing fan leaves and vertical shoots, until you have the right structure, then let her go. Silky has done this a few times with different strains.

Why am I saying this? Because I've trained a hundred plants with different teks, and they never slowed down this much, ever. Seems there is some merit to the the hormonal theory from the first node before pre-flowers.

I won't be popping any seeds for a few months now, but willing to give it a shot when time comes. In the meantime, I hope someone stands up to the challenge!
_

I wish we had a scientific answer to this. We're all playing pinata in the dark with this lol. I've often wondered if there is a hormone or hormonal suppressant that would stop the clock so to speak. From what I've seen, cloning is most successful on autos that take longer to enter flowering. I've not played with this much so my personal knowledge is limited.

I'm in 100% agreement.
Having said that.
How COULD we freeze time, is the next question.
Anything we would do, only leads to stressing the plant, without stopping grow/time.
Perhaps the true question should be, can we slow down time?
@pop22 , thought I'd get your opinion on this subject as well. I have a shitload of Rudy seeds to play and test with as well.

I wish we had a scientific answer to this. We're all playing pinata in the dark with this lol. I've often wondered if there is a hormone or hormonal suppressant that would stop the clock so to speak. From what I've seen, cloning is most successful on autos that take longer to enter flowering. I've not played with this much so my personal knowledge is limited.

We need to "recruit" a plant biologist to this discussion!
_

Back