New Grower CBD Auto-grow Journal v1.02

You are not thinking about the exudes from the plant; they can raise and lower PH. Do this experiment to see what I am talking about: Set a plantless pot of coco amended just like the ones you are growing in next to one with a plant. Fertigate them all the same and chart the PH over time. You will see that the one with a plant will move around the PH scale and the one without a plant will be very stable in comparison. This is due to the exudes from the plant. This is really obvious when you grow DWC.
I understand that the plant in the coco will alter the pH. Ultimately my goal was to see how the peat-moss affected the pH of the medium. Perhaps I should have tested peat-moss all by itself!

The packaging of my coco states pH buffered & "Stabalized." At what pH they do not specify. My guess is something higher than 6.0 as suggested by my experiment. Simply the runoff suggests this.

"Cannabis plants prefer a slightly acidic environment for its roots. Growers using soil as their medium should adjust their pH to a range of 6 to 6.8. For a soilless garden, pH should sit between 5.5 to 6.5."

Almost everywhere I read that the best pH for soil is "x" and for soiless is 'y." Despite these statements, I have as yet to read of the reason for this. In other words, what is the science behind this.

Just found out that the Coco I purchased is pH Stable for 5.5 - 6.5

"Cannabis plants prefer a slightly acidic environment for its roots. Growers using soil as their medium should adjust their pH to a range of 6 to 6.8. For a soilless garden, pH should sit between 5.5 to 6.5."

Almost everywhere I read that the best pH for soil is "x" and for soiless is 'y." Despite these statements, I have as yet to read of the reason for this. In other words, what is the science behind this.

Just found out that the Coco I purchased is pH Stable for 5.5 - 6.5
That is what the coco should be stable to since it is a form of hydro!

The osmotic pressure (caused by the internal vs external PH) on the roots needs to be lower in hydro because the chelated nutrients are immediately available whereas in soil microbes are working to make the nutrients available and it is a slower process. So by raising the pressure in soil the roots can take in the nutrients more rapidly. If this absorption of nutrients happens too slow or too fast you get a lockout condition.

July 5th
Fertigated King's Kush CBD wk 11 Nutes @pH5.7 (2.75 gal - 20% runoff)
- first runoff pH - 5.x
- soil/coir pH 1hr after fertigation - 6.x

It was mentioned previously that CBD plants should not be harvested as long as high THC plants. Is this due to the CBD degrading? If so, at which point (% amber trichomes) would I harvest them?

I am thinking that next week I will flush King's Kush CBD using Flawless Finish and then harvest the following week or after the coco dries. There is about 1-2% amber trichomes, with 98% pistils turned.

July 5th
- first runoff pH - 5.x

It was mentioned previously that CBD plants should not be harvested as long as high THC plants. Is this due to the CBD degrading? If so, at which point (% amber trichomes) would I harvest them?

I am thinking that next week I will flush King's Kush CBD using Flawless Finish and then harvest the following week or after the coco dries. There is about 1-2% amber trichomes, with 98% pistils turned.
Yes the concern is degrading the CBD. I would say your harvest window is open for that plant.

July 5th
- first runoff pH - 5.x

Make sure you are checking trichs on the buds and not the leaves as the leaves amber earlier.
As long as you don't have much clear trichs, then you are good to go as you want to harvest when you have the maximum amount of cloudy trichs for CBD

Yes the concern is degrading the CBD. I would say your harvest window is open for that plant.
Then I will proceed to flush as trichomes are definitely... What is your procedure for drying? I have read: darkness, about 50% humidity, and about 70 deg F for 5-7 days. I will likely have to use a closet for this process.

Then I will proceed to flush as trichomes are definitely... What is your procedure for drying? I have read: darkness, about 50% humidity, and about 70 deg F for 5-7 days. I will likely have to use a closet for this process.
Don't forget gentle air movement. If you meet those conditions it should take 3 to 5 days to be ready to cure. Do you have mason jars and little cheap hygrometers?

57-62% bovada humidity packs are also pretty handy.
I understand that these packs will alter RH up or down to maintain a fairly specific RH. Are these used in curing or primarily after to keep levels spot on?

Back