Nutrients CannabisMingus' Grow Dots - Coco - Autopot experiment

I did a plant with grow dots in a 10 gallon SIP a few months ago, it went ok overall. The PK took too long to kick in and I decided to supplement for the first few weeks of flowering.

I was also using Canna coco w/recharge I put her on the reservoir at 4 weeks I think, after about 10 or so days I started to get a little lockout and took it of the reservoir and gave it a good watering with runoff. It fixed the lockout but it started to creep back after about a week. I ended up finishing the plant off the reservoir and treating it like a normal coco grow watering to runoff. My water is RO at 10-20 ppm and I was adding about 100 ppm calmag. Maybe I should have been adding more, but without runoff I wasn’t sure how much to use.

I am sure there was a way to make it work, I just wasn’t sure what it was and I didn’t want to screw up the plant. After she got big it became too difficult to pull her off the reservoir to water to runoff so I just took the path of least resistance that I knew would work. My SIP was not as slick as an autopot, so that also made it a bit more difficult.

Overall the plant turned out great. It’s possible my added PK created the lockout issues, or maybe I should have been using more calmag in my reservoir? I want to try the grow dots again so I will be curious to see how they go for you.

good luck!

Well, let's do this! An experiment in a water-only SIP system using a time-released polymer encapsulated prill nutrient - Grow Dots.

I am running a 5 gal. Autopot (Spring Pot) system using 100% coco (Canna) and 75g of Grow Dots mixed in. After mixing the coco and GD, I created a double-fist sized "well" of Roots O to assist seedling transition. I watered it in using RODI with CalMag+ to 100 ppm, plus Recharge and pH-ed to 6.0.

I will be running a Twenty/20 Mendo Vidamints - currently doing a 24-hour soak in water plus kelp/humic. I will plant in Root Riot cube and germinate in pot. I plan to hand water 1x - 2x/day until day 20 and then turn on system. Water reservoir will be just RODI with CalMag+ added to 100 pm and pHed to 6.0. I will turn off system once every week, let is "dry" for 12 hours and then top water w/ Recharge.

That's the plan anyway. I still have some reservations about this product - could be great or could be disappointing - but we'll see. Thanks for following!

View attachment 1471858View attachment 1471860
:pop:Following along brother. As a lazy fuck myself I always like grows where manual intervention is minimal :coffee:

:pop:Following along brother. As a lazy fuck myself I always like grows where manual intervention is minimal :coffee:
Awesome - thanks for following my friend. If it works, it should be the opposite of a small volume (<15 gal.) DWC system in terms of PITA factor.

Liftoff. I will cull one around D10

20220616_071055.jpg

D4 update:
1. Culled one (stuck it next to a basil plant on the deck).
2. I am hand watering the entite pot lightly 1x/day. RODI to 120 ppm with CalMag+ pH 6.0
3. Dropped light to approx. 500 par at leaf surface.
4. Turned on 2nd fan to increase indirect airflow.
20220620_174513.jpg

D8

Getting good growth rate so far. I am switching from 24/0 to 18/6 today. I am still hand watering 1x/day but am thinking about turning on the Autopot in a few days. We'll see.

20220624_080027 (1).jpg

D11 - Autopot turned on

Due to faster than expected growth, I 'm turning on the system today. So far so good on the Grow Dots. Leaves are a nice shade of green. No signs of def/tox so far. I'm seeing a slight discoloration in leaves but will not worry about it for now.

20220627_083528.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you have it well sorted out! Shoot, mine looked terrible during the seedling stage. It did grow out of it eventually but was a weird looking gangly plant at the end.

Back