New Grower Candy Cane Auto - Mega Crop - Promix HP

Wow Promix HP is Peat! It is going to want to drift too low a PH fertigate with Soil PH range 6.4-6.8. Get a good PH soil probe like the Accurite 8 or BlueLab soil probe. You are going to need to know what is going on in the root zone. I personally would not grow cannabis in peat. It is also designed for low moisture content which means you may need to fertigate more often. It has no nutrients and low biome colonies. Add Mykos (or similar) and nutrients from day 1. @Machamillion his well water is why he is successful with peat.

Wow Promix HP is Peat! It is going to want to drift too low a PH fertigate with Soil PH range 6.4-6.8. Get a good PH soil probe like the Accurite 8 or BlueLab soil probe. You are going to need to know what is going on in the root zone. I personally would not grow cannabis in peat. It is also designed for low moisture content which means you may need to fertigate more often. It has no nutrients and low biome colonies. Add Mykos (or similar) and nutrients from day 1. @Machamillion his well water is why he is successful with peat.
With Well water, I can certainly see why no nutes are necessary for the first little while, but my tap water drifts between 20-30 PPM and like you mentioned, Promix HP has no nutrients and low colonies, which is exactly why I started with the Mega Crop right away.

I'm starting to get mixed information now. I've had some private messages with some pretty dang reputable members here on the AFN forums as well as asking others and searching other forums and I've been instructed to go for the soilless PH range, I've also found through grow journals, most people using Promix HP tend to use soilless PH ranges as well.

So now I'm just completely lost. Promix HP is a soilless, everything I've read and been told is that Promix HP should be PH'd with the soilless range. Oh boy...so, so lost.

When you say fertigate more often, can you clarify for me? Do you mean, water more often or do you mean use the Mega Crop more often? I use Mega Crop every time I water. Thanks for all the help @Mañ'O'Green

As to the PH question - it is just guesswork until you buy a tool that will scientifically tell you what the PH is in the root zone where it counts; then you have a target to PH your fertigation. Watering is just applying PHed water. Fertigating is applying PHed water with nutrients.

There are many fine growers here as well as many styles of growing. It can be a bit overwhelming to listen to too many at once. Just like @Machamillion well water works for him in his environment your city water could be completely different in its makeup and not work well at all. Each of us has a different environment and you just need to work out what works best in yours. The tools you should have are Temperature, RH, PH and EC as a minimum. They take a lot out of the guesswork.

As to the PH question - it is just guesswork until you buy a tool that will scientifically tell you what the PH is in the root zone where it counts; then you have a target to PH your fertigation. Watering is just applying PHed water. Fertigating is applying PHed water with nutrients.

There are many fine growers here as well as many styles of growing. It can be a bit overwhelming to listen to too many at once. Just like @Machamillion well water works for him in his environment your city water could be completely different in its makeup and not work well at all. Each of us has a different environment and you just need to work out what works best in yours. The tools you should have are Temperature, RH, PH and EC as a minimum. They take a lot out of the guesswork.
So I went looking around and found the manufacturers Promix YouTube channel. They have a couple of videos talking about the proper PH for Promix. Both videos are short but the first one's pretty quick to point out that the best PH to use with Promix is 5.5 to 6.2. The second video talks and basically reiterates why the best PH for promix is lower than soil PH ranges.

"The starting pH of PRO-MIX growing media usually ranges between 5.4 to 5.8. The ideal growing range for most crops grown in PRO-MIX is between 5.5 and 6.2. But why can't the pH be higher? The problem is the micronutrients availability is affected at high pHs. If your pH starts to rise above 6.2 or even 6.5, it makes your micronutrient poor, so it locks out iron, manganese and other nutrients needed by the plants."

H
ere's the video links:
"What is the ideal pH for most crops grown in PRO-MIX?":

"Why is the ideal pH of PRO-MIX lower than soil?"

Would be very interested to know your take on this information.

They absolutely know their own product the PH range suggested is fine for most plants? The thing is if you are adding anything that may change the PH in the root zone how will you know? Exudes from roots can lower PH in a 5 gallon DWC 2 full points in less than a day!

Get a good soil probe or take your chances:

Take a Chance:

Take a Chance.png

hydroponics-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg
soil-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg

They absolutely know their own product the PH range suggested is fine for most plants? The thing is if you are adding anything that may change the PH in the root zone how will you know? Exudes from roots can lower PH in a 5 gallon DWC 2 full points in less than a day!

Get a good soil probe or take your chances:

Take a Chance:

View attachment 1116361

View attachment 1116357View attachment 1116360
Hey thanks for the neat charts!

I've actually ordered an inexpensive 4 in 1 soil probe...It'll have to do until I can afford something from bluelabs. Although, I'm trying to keep my grows as simple as possible. I really didn't want to start using more gadgets. I've got temperature and RH (must haves) as well as PH and PPM meters, but didn't want to use more.

Like you said before, lots of different styles of growing. Heck, on another forum, this one dude is using Promix HP and Mega Crop 2.0 without PHing his city water. He just dechlorinates it and then adds his MC and poof, into the pot it goes. His is a perpetual grow, his grow journal is like 100 pages long, all; he does is add his city water...drives me nuts! hahahaha

Like, how dare you have such a simple and easy time growing without jumping through hoops!

Anyways, the new gadget should be here today.

I've actually ordered an inexpensive 4 in 1 soil probe...It'll have to do until I can afford something from bluelabs. Although, I'm trying to keep my grows as simple as possible. I really didn't want to start using more gadgets. I've got temperature and RH (must haves) as well as PH and PPM meters, but didn't want to use more.

Like you said before, lots of different styles of growing. Heck, on another forum, this one dude is using Promix HP and Mega Crop 2.0 without PHing his city water. He just dechlorinates it and then adds his MC and poof, into the pot it goes. His is a perpetual grow, his grow journal is like 100 pages long, all; he does is add his city water...drives me nuts! hahahaha

Like, how dare you have such a simple and easy time growing without jumping through hoops!

Unfortunately I have yet to find an inexpensive soil probe that actually works. If yours works let me know the brand please.

I get lucky with MC and I’m sure once you know your water and how MC works with it you’ll be just as lucky. If you can get your staring water above 7.5 I find MC is able to bring you down into the grow zine a bit easier. Also knowing that you can top with plain water to raise PH is a nice advantage. I get my PH up with a whole house calcium additive and it couldn’t be easier.

The guy with city water might have a higher PH and staring ppm than we might assume. My tap is 300ppm

FB

Back