Bomb Seeds Bomb Seeds - Berry Bomb

@budelee I hope I didn't scare you off with all the questions. I've been hoping to get some experienced feedback on some of them.

I'm also curious about how long an auto CAN grow for. I know there's an expiry on them, so to speak, but I think I've got a solid month left on a couple of these. Will they give up the ghost before they're done? How long can I keep pushing them for? Can they die before I get to flush? I don't really understand this part of the Auto Life Cycle.

@budelee I hope I didn't scare you off with all the questions. I've been hoping to get some experienced feedback on some of them.

I'm also curious about how long an auto CAN grow for. I know there's an expiry on them, so to speak, but I think I've got a solid month left on a couple of these. Will they give up the ghost before they're done? How long can I keep pushing them for? Can they die before I get to flush? I don't really understand this part of the Auto Life Cycle.
My man!! Sorry for the delay..no you didnt scare me away..Bwahahaha..alright,its great that you keep such detailed information...yes the Lucas is simple and easy and i currently have 6 plants back on the maxi bloom feed with it...been dealing with some uncommonly bad weather and such....okay it looks as tho the loght arw gonna be part of the cause issue for the cal/mag looking spotting and its is good that you have moved the lights farther away,this will help,and yes,the led/cobs will cause the plants to use more of the calmag,i also add extra when using even HiD lighting,i am currently using an led( for the first time) but not cobs,anyway,i add as much as 1 tablespoon/15 ml per 5 gallon of water at every watering/fees,and i feed every time,you are also right that coco should never be allowed to dry out,you can feed every day multiple times but if using this method the ppm should be dropped a bit..lemme drop back back again and re-read the info and ill have some more info to share..,one thing you can try is tying or supercropping the tops for a more even canopy...

Last edited:
right on @budelee ! I really appreciate your quick responses! I know it's tough to catch everything when breezing the thread.
I'm using the GH 3 part this run. All of my experience previously has been with the MaxiBloom dry 1 part lucas and I can't wait to get back to it. You're bang on with the simplicity.

I'm feeding daily. My erroneous 'allowing the coco to dry' was in the past and I've learned. I'm watering the 4 blue autos (2 blue dream, 2 berry bomb) daily, they've got about 3 gallons of ~75/25 coco/perlite in 5gallon bags because I'm clever like that(?). The Candy Cane in the middle is in a 3Gallon pot with 3gallons of the same coco/perlite and she's demading 2x daily waterings.

My feeding is typically light, 1/4-1/2 strength feed, that's the fraction of GH feedchart recommendations so I'll mix 4L of feed then add 4 or 12 more L of water, then full strength cali-max (1mL/L before adding the Micro), 1mL/L concentrated floralicious plus, 2.5mL/L koolBloom(I will match this to the strength of base nutes) then I add about 5-8mL Liquid Gold per 4L water that I'm adding. I pH to 5.8 religiously. My feed is generally in the 600-800ppm range @.5 scale.

The Candy Cane I've been giving full strength feed fairly regularly, just got them lightly burned tips and this morning I gave the berries a full strength feeding at 1000ppm.

I've been reluctant to feed too strong because I noticed a bit of build-up. My runoff was ~1600ppm with 600ppm going in and 5.6pH with 5.9 going in. The candy cane was never showing this same build-up so I wasn't concerned about it so much. My runoff from the watering this morning was still @ 1200ppm with 1000 going in so I think I need to give them another, bigger flush (3 gallons of low low ppm water rather than just 1) to get it down the rest of the way. I have to say, since flushing to get the runnoff down, I have seen a very good improvement in the girls. I just got that purple starting to show in the tips of the calyx's of the 2 #2's yesterday.

My question was more on the maturity of the #2's and whether or not feeding boosters will actually increase their size much at this point based on visual queues. I am trying to get a handle on what feed/additives will do what and at what times.

The 'rinsing' or low feed waterings that coco demand to keep the build-up from happening is still something that I suspect I'm struggling with. Perhaps you're suggesting that if I just feed more regularly then that alone may help avoid the build-up? I've been led to believe that may be the case, maybe I'm just being over-cautious?
On the bloom boosters,i have used the kool bloom liquid and powder with great success in the past and will go back to using them this run,i am currently testing a nutrient line and can say that the GH Lucas is a much easier method with better results ,i use the kool bloom liquid as stated on the bottle in the early stages of bloom,the powder is added toward the end of bloom but the liquid is also used in combo with the powder,the thing about the powder is that it is a ripening agent so dont add to much too soon or you can force the plant to finish to soon,i have done this on occasion because i want to end them early,on the lifespan,i dont know that they can be extended cause they will eventually run out of steam,i have had some strains go to 120 plus days and while this does allow plenty of swell and growth,it does kill timelines for a perpetual harvest...ill add more just tag me in..lastly i just wanted to say that your grow is looking really well despite the slight issues,when different strains and nute lines are tried theres bound to be some slight issues but because you keep such detailed info,you will have an easier time getting things back in line..

Thanks for the feedback @budelee !

I use the dry koolbloom too, as prescribed basically, as well as the liquid. The thing is, I've flushed pretty aggressively I think but I've been noticing some lingering common 'flavor' between a few strains and I think it's lingering liquid koolbloom. I don't know if it could be attributed to poor irrigation or insufficient (improper?) flushing. Have you ever noticed anything like that?

I guess my question about the boosters was if they're really that effective or if there are other things that provide more bang for the buck. I feel like I'm missing something and there is some important additive that I haven't caught wind of yet. I've heard mention of "enzymes" being critical to massive, potent yields yet the only thing I've been able to read on the subject is about breaking down dead root/organic matter to re-feed the plant. I've gone through a bottle of hygrozyme but I didn't notice a difference before and after usage so I kinda just dropped it, for better or worse. I haven't given up on it, I just haven't bought another bottle yet because I just don't know if I need to.

I've added humic acid this run, liquid gold; it sounds wonderful and sciencey. It doesn't seem to be hurting things. I also kept the silicate going right into the first few weeks of flower so I suspect that has helped keep things happy despite my almost 20 degree temp swings. We've been having a lot of fun weather ever since that Colorado low or whatever they called it, came through in December. Crazy amounts of snow and brutally cold since Christmas.

I feel like I've learned so much in this past year but I haven't got things automated enough so I'm thinking about getting setup for organic grows by the fall. Ideally I'd like to get a few 5 gallon fabric pots together and go no till. It sounds like my kind of thing and I'd really like to get maximum flavor from my product and organic seems to be the most popular recommendation to achieve it.

??you in CO?? ...

Thanks for the feedback @budelee !

I use the dry koolbloom too, as prescribed basically, as well as the liquid. The thing is, I've flushed pretty aggressively I think but I've been noticing some lingering common 'flavor' between a few strains and I think it's lingering liquid koolbloom. I don't know if it could be attributed to poor irrigation or insufficient (improper?) flushing. Have you ever noticed anything like that?

I guess my question about the boosters was if they're really that effective or if there are other things that provide more bang for the buck. I feel like I'm missing something and there is some important additive that I haven't caught wind of yet. I've heard mention of "enzymes" being critical to massive, potent yields yet the only thing I've been able to read on the subject is about breaking down dead root/organic matter to re-feed the plant. I've gone through a bottle of hygrozyme but I didn't notice a difference before and after usage so I kinda just dropped it, for better or worse. I haven't given up on it, I just haven't bought another bottle yet because I just don't know if I need to.

I've added humic acid this run, liquid gold; it sounds wonderful and sciencey. It doesn't seem to be hurting things. I also kept the silicate going right into the first few weeks of flower so I suspect that has helped keep things happy despite my almost 20 degree temp swings. We've been having a lot of fun weather ever since that Colorado low or whatever they called it, came through in December. Crazy amounts of snow and brutally cold since Christmas.

I feel like I've learned so much in this past year but I haven't got things automated enough so I'm thinking about getting setup for organic grows by the fall. Ideally I'd like to get a few 5 gallon fabric pots together and go no till. It sounds like my kind of thing and I'd really like to get maximum flavor from my product and organic seems to be the most popular recommendation to achieve it.
Lets see..i havent noticed a flavor change due to the boosters but i have heard mention of it with certain AN products.. I cant say i have teied a huge number of different combinations,i found what gives me the results i liked and ive stuck with it,growing can get really expensive reying different things and if your budget allows for it,the best thing would be to run side by side comparisons( one with ,one without) for first hand experience..i do hear that organics can have stronger flavor but i again have no side by side comparisons,when i was in soil.all were in soil,when i went coco,all are in coco..time( and advice) will bring real world experince,but double check any info( even mine) because what may work for me,might not give tou the results you are looking for,and again,trying high dollar addatives may get you better yields,is it really worth the money,imo no,this is why i stick with the simple and cheap Lucas Formua....

Ya know,one thing i seen you mention is that you are using the three part GH,based on the Lucas,the gro formula is not necessary,the micro and bloom have enough N to carry the plant thru rhe entire grow,jus something to think about..

Ya know,one thing i seen you mention is that you are using the three part GH,based on the Lucas,the gro formula is not necessary,the micro and bloom have enough N to carry the plant thru rhe entire grow,jus something to think about..
Ya, I was doing the 2 part lucas for a little while, then bought the 1L grow bottle just to see if there was much of a difference/improvement. I don't see one. I don't think I'll be buying the Grow again.

I had picked up the 2 larger micro and bloom bottles last time as well because I was happier with their ability to mix in but as I was using the last of my maxiBloom bag, I realized there was a bit of a trick to it and I will likely go back to it as soon as I'm done with all this liquid.
I've heard of Jack's having a good 1 step, dry and inexpensive fert as well. I haven't done a cost comparison yet but the maxiBloom is cheap enough that I wouldn't really hesitate to use it except that I suspect this liquid will last me until the fall and as I mentioned, I'd really like to get going organic. I've got an over-abundance of earthworms in my yard so I think it's time to put 'em to work!

Back