New Grower Black Stone Grow (LED in Coco) by AeonSophia

Day 12 - This one is growing well and looks healthy despite starting out being overwatered.The flash makes it look kind of yellow, but it's actually a very vibrant green.

20170111_014228.jpg

This one is looking pretty bad. It's the one that started growing its first set of leaves under the coco. I think it's been slowly damping off since the beginning, causing it to grow really slowly. There's actually more brown on the leaves than the picture shows, and the stem has been brown since it emerged from the surface. There was even what looked to me like a fungus gnat flying around the room and near this seedling. I know all life is sacred, but I'm a lot more invested in the well being of my cannabis plants than that of a little gnat. Plus, I developed a seething disdain for them when growing mushrooms. So the insect's life came to a swift end. I'm just going to sacrifice this poor seedling's life for the health of the other one and all future plants. I don't want any pathogens spreading. I'm getting some 3 gallon fabric pots in the mail tomorrow, so I'm going to germinate another Black Stone and skip the cup and plant it right into its final pot. Thank you, oh wise plant for teaching me how to better foster future floral lifeforms. You will be missed.

20170111_013010.jpg

Last edited:
Day 12 - This one is growing well and looks healthy despite starting out being overwatered.The flash makes it look kind of yellow, but it's actually a very vibrant green.

View attachment 685156

This one is looking pretty bad. It's the one that started growing its first set of leaves under the coco. I think it's been slowly damping off since the beginning, causing it to grow really slowly. There's actually more brown on the leaves than the picture shows, and the stem has been brown since it emerged from the surface. There was even what looked to me like a fungus gnat flying around the room and near this seedling. I know all life is sacred, but I'm a lot more invested in the well being of my cannabis plants than that of a little gnat. Plus, I developed a seething disdain for them when growing mushrooms. So the insect's life came to a swift end. I'm just going to sacrifice this poor seedling's life for the health of the other one and all future plants. I don't want any pathogens spreading. I'm getting some 3 gallon fabric pots in the mail today, so I'm going to germinate another Black Stone and skip the cup and plant it right into its final pot. Thank you, oh wise plant for teaching me how to better foster future floral lifeforms. You will be missed.

View attachment 685158
yeah that looks like root rot from overly wet conditions, the fungus gnat is also a good indication of over watering but you already know that and have taken steps to correct it so.... :) good thing u snuffed her out cuzz she probably would have been stunted anyway :/
her noble sacrifice will not be forgotten! lol

If you've already encountered fungus gnats in the past, you know there could be more. Possible larva in the healthy pot.

I would get some Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and yellow sticky traps.

I put sprinkle DE on top of soil and reapply after every watering, when top dries.

If you've already encountered fungus gnats in the past, you know there could be more. Possible larva in the healthy pot.

I would get some Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and yellow sticky traps.

I put sprinkle DE on top of soil and reapply after every watering, when top dries.

That's a really good idea. I've been meaning to get some of that stuff. I wonder if they lay eggs in coco. I also got rid of the rosemary plant it almost definitely came from just to be safe.

That's a really good idea. I've been meaning to get some of that stuff. I wonder if they lay eggs in coco. I also got rid of the rosemary plant it almost definitely came from just to be safe.
I have no experience with coco, so I'm not in the know. I am experienced with fungus gnats though.
I battled them hard last year. I used bought so many things. I keep a bag of DE in the garage, to put in trash barrels, to kill fly larvae. Once I started using it to top dress, problem solved.
The important thing to do, with DE, is to apply to dry soil. Wet...don't work.

The yellow sticky traps are great for adults. Also, just as a precaution...if you see one stick, you got em.

I'm sure your fine but it's a good thing to have on hand. They multiply with a quickness and the larvae will chow your roots.

I read covering top of your pots with sharp sand is an easy way to get rid of new nats. They can't crawl through the sand with out ripping the shit out of there wings...no flying, no mating

I read covering top of your pots with sharp sand is an easy way to get rid of new nats. They can't crawl through the sand with out ripping the shit out of there wings...no flying, no mating
I've read about sand too. I was scared it would invite more bugs. Probably just paranoid.
I had a problem with fungus gnats. I started using the mosquito dunks and haven't seen one since.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've heard the dunks work well. I tried them. They slowed down but didn't stop.

I've read about sand too. I was scared it would invite more bugs. Probably just paranoid.

I've heard the dunks work well. I tried them. They slowed down but didn't stop.
Wow I'm surprised it didn't completely get rid of them. I haven't seen any since I started using the dunks. I do add more to the top of my soil about halfway through the grow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

After you flush your coco but before you precharge it, pour a kettle of boiling water through it. that kills all eggs. then precharge it :pass:

Dunks help, DE after you precharge is great I do it every plant, hydroton on top after the seedling is big enough helps and with evaporation. Sticky traps should be in every grow room.

Last edited:
Back