New Grower Black Stone Grow (LED in Coco) by AeonSophia

Day 4 - I lowered the light to 25 inches from the taller seedling. I also decided to start feeding them a little bit since they have some little true leaves and are capable of photosynthesizing. I didn't charge my coco with anything beforehand, not even calmag. Just gave it some thorough flushing prior to planting the seeds. I know the cotyledons have enough energy stored to get the seedlings going for a week or two, but I figured since coco doesn't have any nutrients in it, unlike soil, it wouldn't hurt the seedlings to give them a slight boost. I used about 1/8th strength of the recommended dose of General Organics GO Box nutrients. We'll see how they like it, but I suspect it will help them grow faster.

On another note, I think I learned a bit about how seedlings establish themselves in the medium.

This one was probably not planted quite deep enough into the medium, not giving it enough time to slough off the seed casing, which is fine. It just needed a little help and it's looking great now.
9787546534.jpg

This one, on the other hand, seems to have been planted too deeply, or got pushed down when I first watered it. I had to push some growing medium off the top because the seedling was growing under the coco, its first true leaves formed and already opening up. I think the extra moisture from being buried caused the leaves to curl down and one of the cotyledons to start wrinkling. Also the root was maybe pointing up, causing it to grow very close to the surface and even stick out, before growing back down. I had to bury it and push it down so it wasn't poking out and exposed to the light, which maybe caused a little bit of damage. I don't think it will be a huge problem in the long run, but I hope it's not going to be terribly stunted. Next time I plant the seeds I'll be sure to be more careful about the depth and positioning. Rapid Rooters might be a good investment in the future so seeds can be planted with the right position and depth. Other than the curling and wrinkling, I think this one's doing fine.
8657243.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to afn sophia! You have a great bunch following you already.

Gotta love the portal genetics, im growing my first one. Good luck!

Thank you @Dudeski. Yeah I bought clear cups not really thinking it through. I figure I'll wrap the outsides of the cups in a couple layers of thick brown paper from a paper bag to block out the light so the roots get some darkness and stay healthy. I can even set it up so I can take it off and put it back on easily. I think it's actually not so bad that I got clear cups, because this way I can look at the roots to see how they develop, and keep them shielded from light. .

Thank you @Dudeski. Yeah I bought clear cups not really thinking it through. I figure I'll wrap the outsides of the cups in a couple layers of thick brown paper from a paper bag to block out the light so the roots get some darkness and stay healthy. I can even set it up so I can take it off and put it back on easily. I think it's actually not so bad that I got clear cups, because this way I can look at the roots to see how they develop, and keep them shielded from light. .

Just be careful to watch for algae growing. I dont remember about the roots being exposed to light, i didn't think it was a good thing. Wrapping is a good idea or just putting it in a solid color cup.

Back