Humboldt Seed Organization Autotron does HSO UK Cheese - Hydro, COB

When I checked the pH five or six hours later after adding it, and it was still holding steady at 6.8, so I put 3ml of pH Down to bring it to 6.2. Since then, it has been falling, but not too drastically. It has drops to 5.5 each day and I've added 3ml to bring it up to 6-6.2. So, as long as it stays within range, I'm good with this fluctuation. It actually help the plant experience a wide available range on each day, so hopefully that's a good thing.

Here's some pics from today. She's still definitely in preflower/stretch mode and bulking up. No signs of flowers aside from the single pistils at the knuckles that let you know preflower has kicked in. I'm hoping she gets some good size to her before flower kicks in.

I've been defoliating here and there to open up space for new growth tips to shoot up. The COB was at 12" away, but I wanted a little more stretch, so have been keeping it at 14 inches away and adjusting daily. Some days she has been putting on a full inch or two towards the light. You can see some of my LST in a couple of the pics below.

As far as nutrients, I'm going to stick with the solution I have in there until I get into early bloom. I was seeing just a touch of nute burn on some upper, newer leaves, so I know I'm riding the limit as far as strength. I'll keep adding fresh water to top it off and checking the PPMs to make sure it doesn't get too weak.

0730181719.jpg
0730181720.jpg
0730181720_HDR.jpg
0730181722.jpg

Looks like she grew 1.5 inches closer to the light since last night and was sitting at about 12" away again. I noticed that the edges of the leaves were slightly raised, so it seems like 12" is almost as close as I can get at the moment. I moved the light up again to 14" away.

My pH has been holding steady. It was at 6.1 when I checked it, which is perfect. I didn't adjust it at all, of course. PPM of the solution is about 850, so it's up there. I think this is right in the sweet spot too. If it starts dropping, I'll take the hint and up it a bit.

@Autotron hey man, sorry for abandoning you, I'm getting ready for a trip to the west coast next week. Big Sur Highway is open once again so I'm going to take a drive up & down them visit some friends in the high desert. And hit all the dispensaries along the way!!! Plus I've been devoting all my spare time to researching a backpacking trip on the North Country Trail. One thing about being "up here" is you got to enjoy the summer while it's here, it doesn't last nearly long enough.

Ennyways, thoughts on where you are now.... I'm still a bit concerned about your pH fluctuations but last post it seems to have equalized? I wonder, have you cleaned and calibrated your pH meter recently? I do mine once a month and find it does drift off sometimes. And what is your DWC nute temps holding at? Check it just before or right after lights-out; that should be the hottest part of you "day". And, I lost track of your nute formula, last time I looked we were discussing the GH Late Growth formula. Did you ever move to a transition formula? I don't always use this, sometime I skip straight from late grow to early bloom, but there are times when I think it helps.
Transition can do several things for you. The extra Grow and Bloom amounts will encourage stretch, help the roots finish development, and prep the plant for full bloom mode.
If your plant still has not shown bloom other than the single-pistil pre-flowers, maybe you should shorten your day to 18 hours for a bit. You can bump it back to 20 hours once she's in full bloom. But here's one of those not-so-obvious uses for the transition formulation. I don't use GH's vegetative growth formulas, I find them too strong, especially for autoflowers. I use 2.5mL / gal. each of Grow, Micro & Bloom for early veg, then 5mL / gal. each for late veg. But this, along with additives, is not strong enough to really push the plant into bloom AND establish the "right" (read that as the max. healthy amount) ppm for the plant going forward. From Transition onward, I follow GH's recommended formulas much more closely, but with one major adjustment that I feel; is very important - huge in fact.
So starting a transition formula with 7.5mL each of Grow, Micro & Bloom, plus additives, allows me to bump up the ppm of my nutes. Here I watch closely - if ppm's climb as the plant drinks, dilute 25 - 33% at a time. For example, for your 3.5gal. DWC container, reduce the volume to 2.5gal. & add one gal. ph"ed water. Or not pH'ed if you're needing to raise your pH level. Continue monitoring ppm's closely, and while you're at it pH too. But what you're searching for is the right ppm level where ppm's stay stable as the plant drinks. My experience has shown that once you find this during the actively growing transitional phase of the plant, then this level is going to hold pretty true throughout early and mid bloom. During late bloom through ripening, this ppm level will probably need to be reduced once again (percentage, NOT formulas). But for early / mid bloom, this will give you about as close to optimal level of nutes as possible.
So back to the very important -
"huge in fact" comment. When you get this level established, you plant is going to stretch about as much as it's capable of, and be encouraged to bloom. Then, when you get ready to change from transition to early bloom, you want to replicate this ppm level with the early bloom formula. My experience has shown that GH's early bloom formula, adjusted to around 75% strength, will fairly closely replicate the ppm's you found during transition. Maybe it will need to be adjusted to 66%; sometimes 80%. Whatever it takes to match transitional ppm's is where you want to strive to be.
You can get hung up with a lot of fine math if you want, but I take a simple approach. For 75% strength, I mix base nutes and additives (more on additives below) for a three gallon formula but add to four gallons of water. For 66%, mix for two gallons but add to three gallons. 80% - mix to four gallon formula added to five gallons. You get the picture - whatever the numbers, mix, test & adjust to where you need to be.
From that point forward, continue monitoring ppm's. Dilute if they go up, increase strength if they go down.
I think, and experience agrees with my thoughts, that the RATIO's of GH's bloom formulas are pretty spot-on for the main base nutes, Grow-Micro & Bloom. And their KoolBloom formula is good. But their additive formulas, once again, I feel are a bit high. So in case I don't get back in time to see your grow all-the-way, here's what I run for additives:
ArmorSi - 2mL / gal. from transition thru two weeks into mid-bloom; 1mL / gal. last week of mid-bloom & late bloom; discontinue for Ripen.
Diamond Nectar - 5mL / gal. through early bloom, 2.5mL thru mid bloom, discontinue for late bloom on
FloraBlend - 2.5mL / gal. through early bloom, discontinue from mid bloom on
FloraNectar - 2.5mL / gal. from early thru mid bloom, 5mL / gal. for late bloom & ripen
CalMag - we've talked about that already, it's whatever it takes to bring your water up to around 350ppm with Si added. They say 5mL; THAT'S TOO MUCH. I run 4 WITH RO.
These formulations usually result in a 6-8 oz. yield from one plant; and it's not at all rare to see 11-12oz yields from this. Cross your fingers.

OK my friend, hope this will help you get through this grow. I'll be around till next week, then hit & miss the rest of the month, checking in as I can. Keep those pic's coming & I'll chime in as time and mental clarity conditions permit. I DO intend to damage a few brain cells next week, but it's really only the weak ones that are affected anyway.
:dizzy:

BTW, here's my girl, day 23, showing bloom, finished more leaf pruning and got her LST set, she took ten of them so far. Will be tightening them down the next few days, and moving to bloom nutes and changing over from HID to LED tomorrow.

121bes0.jpg

Well thing's certainly have become active in here since my last visit, which is great to see :thumbsup:

I would have been in a lot sooner but my annual vacation was due. Now I'm back so I'll be dropping in atleast a couple of times a week :pass:

Your off to a really nice start, a bit rough in the beginning but now things look dialed in the plant looks to be growing well :thumbsup:

This should be a fun flower show to watch and I'll be front and central as it unfolds.

@Olde School Player Thank you for being around, showing support and advice with this grow. This is why we love the AFN platform :pass:

I'll keep dropping in to see how things are progressing. So far looking good my friend :bong:

Kind regards

Mark.

@Autotron hey man, sorry for abandoning you, I'm getting ready for a trip to the west coast next week. Big Sur Highway is open once again so I'm going to take a drive up & down them visit some friends in the high desert. And hit all the dispensaries along the way!!! Plus I've been devoting all my spare time to researching a backpacking trip on the North Country Trail. One thing about being "up here" is you got to enjoy the summer while it's here, it doesn't last nearly long enough.

No worries bro, good to hear from you! She's just been cruising along on the same transition mix and still stretching a bit. Some nodes are showing several calyxes each, so maybe the transition is over soon? Or maybe she's still filling up the bucket with roots before she starts to bloom? I'll get some pics up later today or tomorrow and you can see what I'm talking about. That sounds like an awesome trip! I'm on the east coast and have traveled quite a bit, but never to California, oddly enough. I've always wanted to, as it seems to be pretty much the most beautiful state in the country with so many diverse outdoors options. I've got a sister in North Cali, so I'll hopefully get out there sooner rather than later.

Ennyways, thoughts on where you are now.... I'm still a bit concerned about your pH fluctuations but last post it seems to have equalized? I wonder, have you cleaned and calibrated your pH meter recently? I do mine once a month and find it does drift off sometimes. And what is your DWC nute temps holding at? Check it just before or right after lights-out; that should be the hottest part of you "day". And, I lost track of your nute formula, last time I looked we were discussing the GH Late Growth formula. Did you ever move to a transition formula? I don't always use this, sometime I skip straight from late grow to early bloom, but there are times when I think it helps.

My pH settled just fine after about 5-7 days. That seemed to be the trend with each res fill. She's been riding along at about 6.1 the past few days and the PPMS seem to be holding. Water temp could not be better, they're always at about 69F. I've seen it as low as 67 and as warm as 70F. I had a little mini aquarium heater in there at the beginning to bring the temp up while she was young, so as not to shock the seedling with cold water. I took that out a long time ago though. Four air stones in the bucket with a nice big air pump that was meant for four buckets. Cleaning and calibrating my pH pen has been on my mind lately, this is the extra push I needed to do it. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow too. I did indeed move to a transition formula. The whole recipe is a few posts back, but basically it's 5ml per gallon each of GMB. I've had this same solution in there for about the past ten days. I noticed that the PPM was rising towards 1,000, so I have been adding back plain bubbled water to the reservoir as the water level drops. It seems to have settled at about 750 PPMs and has been holding steady for the past few days. This seems to be that sweet spot you are talking about further down in your post.

Transition can do several things for you. The extra Grow and Bloom amounts will encourage stretch, help the roots finish development, and prep the plant for full bloom mode.
If your plant still has not shown bloom other than the single-pistil pre-flowers, maybe you should shorten your day to 18 hours for a bit. You can bump it back to 20 hours once she's in full bloom. But here's one of those not-so-obvious uses for the transition formulation. I don't use GH's vegetative growth formulas, I find them too strong, especially for autoflowers. I use 2.5mL / gal. each of Grow, Micro & Bloom for early veg, then 5mL / gal. each for late veg. But this, along with additives, is not strong enough to really push the plant into bloom AND establish the "right" (read that as the max. healthy amount) ppm for the plant going forward. From Transition onward, I follow GH's recommended formulas much more closely, but with one major adjustment that I feel; is very important - huge in fact.

This is some good advice, I just have the light on 24 hours a day at the moment. If I don't see it start flowering soon enough, I'll shorten the light cycle to 18 or even 12 if she doesn't respond. As far as nutes, she seems tolerant to a wide range of PPM, but is perhaps a light drinker.

So starting a transition formula with 7.5mL each of Grow, Micro & Bloom, plus additives, allows me to bump up the ppm of my nutes. Here I watch closely - if ppm's climb as the plant drinks, dilute 25 - 33% at a time. For example, for your 3.5gal. DWC container, reduce the volume to 2.5gal. & add one gal. ph"ed water. Or not pH'ed if you're needing to raise your pH level. Continue monitoring ppm's closely, and while you're at it pH too. But what you're searching for is the right ppm level where ppm's stay stable as the plant drinks. My experience has shown that once you find this during the actively growing transitional phase of the plant, then this level is going to hold pretty true throughout early and mid bloom. During late bloom through ripening, this ppm level will probably need to be reduced once again (percentage, NOT formulas). But for early / mid bloom, this will give you about as close to optimal level of nutes as possible.

I think I may have found this sweet spot or close to it. See my reply a few farther up.

So back to the very important -
"huge in fact" comment. When you get this level established, you plant is going to stretch about as much as it's capable of, and be encouraged to bloom. Then, when you get ready to change from transition to early bloom, you want to replicate this ppm level with the early bloom formula. My experience has shown that GH's early bloom formula, adjusted to around 75% strength, will fairly closely replicate the ppm's you found during transition. Maybe it will need to be adjusted to 66%; sometimes 80%. Whatever it takes to match transitional ppm's is where you want to strive to be.
You can get hung up with a lot of fine math if you want, but I take a simple approach. For 75% strength, I mix base nutes and additives (more on additives below) for a three gallon formula but add to four gallons of water. For 66%, mix for two gallons but add to three gallons. 80% - mix to four gallon formula added to five gallons. You get the picture - whatever the numbers, mix, test & adjust to where you need to be.
From that point forward, continue monitoring ppm's. Dilute if they go up, increase strength if they go down.
I think, and experience agrees with my thoughts, that the RATIO's of GH's bloom formulas are pretty spot-on for the main base nutes, Grow-Micro & Bloom. And their KoolBloom formula is good. But their additive formulas, once again, I feel are a bit high. So in case I don't get back in time to see your grow all-the-way, here's what I run for additives:
ArmorSi - 2mL / gal. from transition thru two weeks into mid-bloom; 1mL / gal. last week of mid-bloom & late bloom; discontinue for Ripen.
Diamond Nectar - 5mL / gal. through early bloom, 2.5mL thru mid bloom, discontinue for late bloom on
FloraBlend - 2.5mL / gal. through early bloom, discontinue from mid bloom on
FloraNectar - 2.5mL / gal. from early thru mid bloom, 5mL / gal. for late bloom & ripen
CalMag - we've talked about that already, it's whatever it takes to bring your water up to around 350ppm with Si added. They say 5mL; THAT'S TOO MUCH. I run 4 WITH RO.
These formulations usually result in a 6-8 oz. yield from one plant; and it's not at all rare to see 11-12oz yields from this. Cross your fingers.

OK my friend, hope this will help you get through this grow. I'll be around till next week, then hit & miss the rest of the month, checking in as I can. Keep those pic's coming & I'll chime in as time and mental clarity conditions permit. I DO intend to damage a few brain cells next week, but it's really only the weak ones that are affected anyway.

This is super helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to put it here for me! I'm looking to do a res change in the next couple days, so maybe you can tell me if I should stick with transition formula or pump up the P a bit, after I post some pics for you to take a look at.

:dizzy:

Well thing's certainly have become active in here since my last visit, which is great to see :thumbsup:

I would have been in a lot sooner but my annual vacation was due. Now I'm back so I'll be dropping in atleast a couple of times a week :pass:

Your off to a really nice start, a bit rough in the beginning but now things look dialed in the plant looks to be growing well :thumbsup:

This should be a fun flower show to watch and I'll be front and central as it unfolds.

@Olde School Player Thank you for being around, showing support and advice with this grow. This is why we love the AFN platform :pass:

I'll keep dropping in to see how things are progressing. So far looking good my friend :bong:

Kind regards

Mark.

She's the picture of health and vigor at the moment! Can't wait til she starts putting on some weight! I agree, AFN is such a good forum compared to the other ones I've seen, where you tend to get a lot of douchebags and morons. Much better vibe of respect and collaboration here.

Hey @HSO-Mark , are you guys working on any new auto strains at the moment? If so, anything you can share with us about them?

Here's some pics from just now. She is 41 days old since first sprouting. Temp in my tent is about 69F with 50% RH. She stands at 16" tall and is bushy as hell. Plenty of growth tips. The COB is currently at 14" away and putting out 45K lumens at the top of the canopy, just under the light. It drops off to 16.5K lumens around the outer leaves. She had grown to 11" away from the light and I had noticed a bit of light stress(canoeing, raised edges) on the fan leaves around the edge, so I moved it up. I also put my COB on a timer, so it'll be on for 20 hours and off for 4 hours. I'll continue to increase the darkness time as needed if she seems to be stuck in pre-bloom. @BigSm0 , does this look like a good amount of light to you for this stage?

I took a look into the bucket for the first time and was blow away by how big the roots are! The solution smells healthy and earthy and the roots are thick and white, no root rot here! I snapped a couple pics, but I don't think they do it justice, as I couldn't get a great pic holding up the netpot with one hand. My pH has been holding rock steady at 6. I recalibrated my pH pen using some General Hydroponics 4.01 and 7.0 test solution and realized it was off by 0.1, no biggie. PPMs are holding steady at about 750 and she looks very healthy.

I captured some pictures of the pistils that have formed so far. @Olde School Player , let me know what you think as far as how developed she is and whether I should switch to an early bloom solution for my next res change or stick with a transition formula. For the next res change, I'm going to remove the hose in the netpot that's connected to the water pump on the bottom that's been circulating water up to the top. I don't think it's needed anymore as most, if not all of the roots are well within the water. It is kind of annoying because it prevents me from easily removing the net from the bucket because I didn't make the hose long enough and it comes off if there is too much pressure on it. I'm going to clean the bucket and the airstones(that Floralicious really gunks up the stones!) and make sure the four airstones are equally distributed around the bucket so they're not all bunched together. It's nice to be able to get a good look at the roots and see how things are going under the netpot.

0805180052.jpg
0805180052a.jpg
0805180053.jpg
0805180053a.jpg
0805180053b.jpg
0805180053c.jpg
0805180054.jpg
0805180055.jpg
0805180122.jpg

Back