Indoor Auto topping thread

Honestly I do not have any idea on that statement lol I have never been in a position to actually test it, I know what the science says which is yeah it should be not necessarily more potent at the top just more mature and more THC has been converted at the top vs the bottom. So yeah breaking center main cola dominance makes sense and that can basically be done with LST. Also I am curious where you got the information about "true" scrogging being topped? I have never seen this, from everything I know it is just moving the lateral branches outward as it grows. But I am interested as I have seen lots of scrogs where I was like they had to top it. But when I reference scrogging I do not mean topping it I just mean placing the screen over it and as I said manipulating as it grows.
I know what you mean when you say scrogged,like i said i dont make the rules and prolly 95% of people think that just because it has a net it is a scrog and thats fine with me,but if i rolled my car over and said i was drifting is it the same thing? Im kidding on that one..the bottom line is,if ya want accurate information ya gotta look in more than one place,no different than running a test of 100 plants to get the avearage info consolidated info for one grow...i could post some external links but would that prove what a scrog is and isn't??? its better if we stay on topic about techniques cause this isnt our thread...sorry bout that @autobeast

Lol 600 bucks for a book, I am out. And no I was talkin to @GodAmJT in the post above. He was saying there are a ton of folks growin 1lb auto plants and that just aint the case lol it may seem that way cause lots of folks have big plants but getting a 1lber is something different. And I do not advocate defoliation lol if folks cant tell I am a tree loving hippie and that comes through in my gardening techs I don't like to hurt em or chop their parts off, with autos any way. I will chop up a photo plant lol
Ohhh its all good derek..ya someone else posted that about the 600$ book and it was unanimous that he was smoking crack to want that much..ive seen the threads on defoliation..wheeeew they get heated real quick,im for it as long as its needed,but thats a whole other topic...

I know what you mean when you say scrogged,like i said i dont make the rules and prolly 95% of people think that just because it has a net it is a scrog and thats fine with me,but if i rolled my car over and said i was drifting is it the same thing? Im kidding on that one..the bottom line is,if ya want accurate information ya gotta look in more than one place,no different than running a test of 100 plants to get the avearage info consolidated info for one grow...i could post some external links but would that prove what a scrog is and isn't??? its better if we stay on topic about techniques cause this isnt our thread...sorry bout that @autobeast

True, and @autobeast so sorry for straight up jacking this thread, I forgot this was your grow journal and was just looking at the title and thought it was an open discussion about toppinng autos.

Lol 600 bucks for a book, I am out. And no I was talkin to @GodAmJT in the post above. He was saying there are a ton of folks growin 1lb auto plants and that just aint the case lol it may seem that way cause lots of folks have big plants but getting a 1lber is something different. And I do not advocate defoliation lol if folks cant tell I am a tree loving hippie and that comes through in my gardening techs I don't like to hurt em or chop their parts off, with autos any way. I will chop up a photo plant lol

Now now, I didn't say a ton, I said a bunch, and quite a few are not documented on this site; rather they are out and about on the internet, so take that with a grain of salt.. regardless, if you got more than 12oz, I'd say you definitely did something very right with your grow, and I'd say it's the exception, not the rule.. I've seen a variety of folks doing different things, so it's tough to say with ANY certainty that the approach you take is gonna work.. Who knows, a guy with a 1kw HPS could outgrow everyone on a handful of plants @Tdam , or you could have someone like @TaNg who uses a handful of watts to achieve a similar yield.. Genetics have a lot to do with that, which you already mentioned..

Unfortunately, I feel like autos will always be like that, until the earlier generations are bred out and only dominant genes are replicated and distributed.. That will be the day though, for sure, when any dude or woman off the street can roll up with some dirt and a light and throw up a 8oz+ monster.. Until then, it's guys like you that show different techniques to guys like me to play with, and even if it didn't work for you, someone out there is gonna either get lucky or nail a nasty grow that's 500gm+ with whatever approach they decided at the time..

Me? I'm just trying to grow enough to keep myself medicated, so if I can manage to crank out a few quap-sized plants from a moderately consistent approach, then I'm fine with it.. It's not complacency as much as it is consistency.. What the hell would I do with a 1lbs stash though?? I'd have to stop growing for half the year, and that wouldn't be any fun!!!! lol

Now now, I didn't say a ton, I said a bunch, and quite a few are not documented on this site; rather they are out and about on the internet, so take that with a grain of salt.. regardless, if you got more than 12oz, I'd say you definitely did something very right with your grow, and I'd say it's the exception, not the rule.. I've seen a variety of folks doing different things, so it's tough to say with ANY certainty that the approach you take is gonna work.. Who knows, a guy with a 1kw HPS could outgrow everyone on a handful of plants @Tdam , or you could have someone like @TaNg who uses a handful of watts to achieve a similar yield.. Genetics have a lot to do with that, which you already mentioned..

Unfortunately, I feel like autos will always be like that, until the earlier generations are bred out and only dominant genes are replicated and distributed.. That will be the day though, for sure, when any dude or woman off the street can roll up with some dirt and a light and throw up a 8oz+ monster.. Until then, it's guys like you that show different techniques to guys like me to play with, and even if it didn't work for you, someone out there is gonna either get lucky or nail a nasty grow that's 500gm+ with whatever approach they decided at the time..

Me? I'm just trying to grow enough to keep myself medicated, so if I can manage to crank out a few quap-sized plants from a moderately consistent approach, then I'm fine with it.. It's not complacency as much as it is consistency.. What the hell would I do with a 1lbs stash though?? I'd have to stop growing for half the year, and that wouldn't be any fun!!!! lol

I have folks that are dependent on my stuff for meds, I need a lot lol. I literally don't think I can grow enough hahahaha

And yeah man definitely not tryin to discourage anyone or anything, I just want to see what can be done to change that stigma of autos

Honestly, up until I saw something on 420mag about Autos, I didn't know anything about them, and thought I was doomed to light-proof my entire basement and plant on taking 6 months to grow something, which in my mind, sucks!!! lol I'd love to get to the point where I could be a care-taker for someone's meds because it would give me a bit more purpose because as of right now, I'm only letting myself down if I fail, and as much as I can put up with the pain of not having meds, I'd NEVER want to put ANYONE in that position, so I think that motivation is what really drives successful growers like yourself and a quite a few guys on this site to be the best at what you do!! I don't think I'd ever get to a point where I wasn't growing autos because they are a ton of fun, and nowadays, the quality is exactly on par with photos, so it'd be nice to show some of the old school guys that autos can make a huge difference in a grow.. You could literally throw a handful of them in your veg-tent and rock out an absolute SOG/Perpetual with a nasty variety of flavors and effects..

Regardless, I'm behind you guys 110% in your endeavors and will honestly try a lot of these techniques to see what fits my bill.. Who knows, maybe I'll be the next one in the Pound-club?!? lol A guy can dream, right?!?! :pass::vibe:

Budlee welcome.and best result.of ur topped auto.top at the 3rd or 4th node normally between day 14 and 18 days of life is best.if u top and then let grow with no training u will still get ur xmas tree shape and will still grow tall strain dependant . just more bushy with more main colas.but if u let grow abit them lst then u get an army on dominant colas;)

Also welcome all other growers all questions and convo of this topic is welcome;) thats what this thread is for.;) and derek i dont mind at all but u certainly aint the only person growing 1lb autos on the planet lol.maybe in these parts but over on 420 mag were im from;)lots of growers would make you look silly.i can post a few links if u like;)just saying.well have a good day all. And happy growing;)

Autos are stronger than they have ever been and great genetics.upto us growers to push there limits to see how they like it reveal there true beauty;)

Sup bros,i see there is still talk and comparisons over here,,let me just add a few things,,first of all what most people( if not all) on here call a scrog,View attachment 610451View attachment 610449this is nothing more than canopy management and would qualify as LST View attachment 610448now,a true scrog has to be topped,i dont make the rules thats just the way it it...now this last pic shows a properly done topped scrog vs canopy management thru a screen..derek yaz know i didnt weigh the bigger plant cause it went to live extractsView attachment 610450
Nice post .pics dont lie.im guessing the topped plant is on the left.top work;)

Last edited:
Back