Aerogarden CS Sex Change

Yes they mostly all did, almost immediately. I guess psychologically since I just crushed pods over them and didn't see any pollen I have my doubts. I hope I'm surprised :) Checked today though and couldn't see anything, but I didn't really dig into the flowers either, didn't want to hurt anything...

Howdy all :) If anybody is still around I have been busy experimenting as usual.

To fast forward I decided on another thread to try and clone a small cutting 22 days after sprout. This was one of the bottom most branches. Strain is Spliff Seeds White Widow. The plan is to take a cutting, root it, then reverse it. A lot to ask but so far so good. I do not think this would work with extremely fast growing strains, but I never grow them. A longer growing strain seems to be logical as it takes more time to develop which will allow the clone to root and then be reversed. I have been told and read that a self pollinated plant from a reversed clone will not increase the chance of hermie offspring, where selfing by changing one branch and allowing pollination on the same plant would. The reason this is so attractive to me is that it will only involve growing one plant instead of two.

The mother is now just coming into flowering. She started showing preflowers earlier this week and they are becoming more and more numerous.

The clone is doing very well. She is getting roots at an amazing pace. Sorry for the blurry pic but it was the best I could get:

DSCF0099 - Copy.jpg

She started growing more on top as well, and has begun preflowering. I started spraying her with CS yesterday and will continue daily until pollen sacs are formed and producing:

DSCF0097 - Copy.jpg

Just to have it recorded here is the exact experiment protocol my OCD mind has come up with, which I even wrote down Ha!:

1. Prepare 1/4 strength flowering nute solution (I have read that high phosphorus roots plants faster)
2. Take cutting and dip into rooting compound, making final cut with razor. Take cutting from lower branch of mother before she flowers.
3. Place in Aerogarden, mist frequently with R.O. water.
4. As soon as roots are noted switch to 1/4 strength veg nute
5. Begin CS treatment as soon as flowers are noted
6. As soon as male flower formation is noted switch to flowering nutes (This is because Bob, now gone from the site, suggested that flowering nutes be added then. This was supposed to increase pollen production.)
7. Pollinate mother plant's lower branches.

It is important in all steps to maintain proper PH. During rooting a warm, humid environment will be necessary. Keep Aerogarden plug covered with tin foil to ensure a dark, humid environment for proper root development.

The protocol was designed to ensure that the clone rooted as fast as possible. It indeed worked. I had rootlets at 7 days:

DSCF0093 - Copy.jpg

I am now at step 5 of the protocol. So far I am very pleased with the results :)

Last edited:
The clone seems to be growing well on it's own now. I am upping her feed to 1/3 strength tonight on res change. Still veg. All flowers that are hit with CS wither within 24 hours. I lowered the light because she was starting to stretch...

DSCF0103 - Copy.jpg

DSCF0106 - Copy.jpg

nben, where do you get your Aerogarden supplies? Which products do you use? I have an Aerogarden I bought used on eBay and I want to get it running. Thank you!

Duplicate Post

Last edited:
Duplicate Post

Last edited:
Duplicate Post

Last edited:
Howdy Jackmc :) I get all my stuff from ebay as well. Buy the light conversion adapters there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerogarden-...5566742?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item3a855cfc16

This is exactly the same person I bought mine from. I know it may seem expensive for two little converters but it will save you so much it's rediculous.

Here is the light reflector kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miracle-Gro...7117338?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item4ad2f90e1a

Again, a little spendy coming in at 20.00 but well worth it. I have had mine for years and never replaced it. All it is is Mylar that has been cut into strips with the top end taped so you can attach it to the aerogarden hood.

Edit: I get the grow baskets and grow sponges on ebay too. I haven't been able to find any generic baskets but there are generic grow sponges out there.

With your bulb converter kit make sure you get the correct one. The max grow bulbs are different. Just check the pins as they are pictured on the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AeroGarden-Grow-Light-Adapter-for-Max-Grow-light-bulbs-Free-Shipping-/111397903902?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item19efd51e1e

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I don't use the pump at all. I just throw a bubble stone in there (larger bar type for aquariums) and just use a 10 gallon aquarium air pump. Those Aerogarden pumps are expensive and a complete joke. As the plant grows it's roots grow into the unit and ruin it. At around 20 to 30 bucks for ONE it is a complete waste of money. Modify the Aerogarden and use the cash you would have spent on their stuff on genetics!!

I am SO happy someone else is going to be using one of these to experiment with!! Can't wait to see you results. Please get ahold of me when you put a thread up, or use this one. Would love to compare notes!

Edit: Just thread the air tube through one of the holes and then cover the entire grow deck with aluminum foil, that's what I do with great results!

Back