Aerogarden CS Sex Change

Well we have male flower pods!

dpbbmale - Copy.jpg

A tad frustrated though since they are doing the exact same thing that the other one did, mature and then die off without opening. I am patiently picking off the shriveling pods and attempting to pollinate the female that I have going (which is a pin up model by the way ha!).

I am carefully splitting the pods open and rubbing them on the white pistils of two lower branches. Hopefully this will work. I do admit to feeling like a contortionist at times... Plants being three dimensional and carefully pinching the tweezers while rubbing a tiny little flower on them does seem like a strange activity for a person to do, especially when the branch is out of direct reach :) I hope this works!!

Now, I have been confused as to why exactly my last two plants have been doing this while the first had fully formed pollen filled flowers. The only difference I can see is that the first was not LST'd. This makes me wonder if the plant isn't just plain too stressed, or perhaps it is a circulation issue due to all the bending.

The problem is that there just isn't enough room to let a plant grow straight up in the Aerogarden. Even using LST there are tops that are getting burned by the lights. This has made me make a decision to do my next reversal in a regular DWC bucket and use my old LED light to grow it. I am excited to see if this will make a big difference. The problem is I know this will make a big plant... Hopefully full of pollen:/

Well we have male flower pods!

View attachment 360451

A tad frustrated though since they are doing the exact same thing that the other one did, mature and then die off without opening. I am patiently picking off the shriveling pods and attempting to pollinate the female that I have going (which is a pin up model by the way ha!).

I am carefully splitting the pods open and rubbing them on the white pistils of two lower branches. Hopefully this will work. I do admit to feeling like a contortionist at times... Plants being three dimensional and carefully pinching the tweezers while rubbing a tiny little flower on them does seem like a strange activity for a person to do, especially when the branch is out of direct reach :) I hope this works!!

Now, I have been confused as to why exactly my last two plants have been doing this while the first had fully formed pollen filled flowers. The only difference I can see is that the first was not LST'd. This makes me wonder if the plant isn't just plain too stressed, or perhaps it is a circulation issue due to all the bending.

The problem is that there just isn't enough room to let a plant grow straight up in the Aerogarden. Even using LST there are tops that are getting burned by the lights. This has made me make a decision to do my next reversal in a regular DWC bucket and use my old LED light to grow it. I am excited to see if this will make a big difference. The problem is I know this will make a big plant... Hopefully full of pollen:/

a single grain of pollen can be if not is impossible to see , the pollen inside wont fly until its cell walls are dry and the pollen is as well , most reversals will not develope nor release nearly the same ammount of pollen as a natural male , i say most as i have had a couple outstanding reversals

put a fan gently blowing on/through/past the reversed plant while the intended females to recieve are sitting behind it , you will be surprised at the amount of unseen pollen that will actually fly

and keep in mind what ive said throughout my thread and others , the first flowers tend to not open and just fall off , but within a few days to a weeks time the newer/younger ones produced or still left do release , you could shake the plant then collect the ones that fall off , let them dry then crush them to release and collect the pollen

we are all still learning what works best or how do do things best , including myself , practise makes perfect , and i am continually trying to get my reversals to all be as successful as the ones id mentioned as being outstanding

peace

p.s. nben , i hope you had switched to flowering nutes , at least with the reversed plant , it seems to make a difference in pollen production , i like to switch as soon as i see the first sign of male flowers , still no where neer developed , but beginning to

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello nben, Great thread! you inspired me to buy an Areogarden on ebay. I've got all I can handel with my grow but I can't wait to try it.

Jackmc- Awesome!! It is really a good little hobby tool:) It's given me many hours of entertainment. I only use mine for reversals however, I feel the rez is too small for any hopes of decent production. Please feel free to ask any questions along the way, so excited someone else has got one to experiment with!!

Please check into the air pump and light bulb converters, they are serious cash savers!!!

Bob- Thanks as always for the advice. And dammit!! I didn't switch to flowering until later in the grow. This makes sense... I think you had me switch my first one early and I must have forgot along the way!! I plan on doing some experiments with this plant, mainly the Lucas Formula I have been researching. As soon as my brand new RO filter (just hooked it up today) starts running TDS 0 I plan on changing the Aerogarden res out with it. In other words even if I get pollen from these pods I will still be keeping it alive so we shall see what I get from it as it ages. What a hobby!!!!

Hmmm.... So I chickened out on the Lucas Formula and just did a regular change with my new RO water. It was a truly exciting moment (pathetic I know). Used 1/2 strength GH flora nutes flowering recipe which is my traditional recipe. Usually I don't go to half strength but I thought what the heck I will keep my eye on them. I jumped up from 1/3 strength so I don't think it will be that much of a shock to them.

Been paying attention to the two reservoirs today. My Aergarden went from 5.4 to 5.6, now a couple hours later she is at 5.4 again. My big bucket has done something amazing. The PH is at a perfect 5.8!

Did some reading on the GH website and I had no idea they buffered their nutes to make them go straight into the ideal PH range. I feel like I missed a huge boat here. I was under the impression that PH Perfect was the only one that did this. Why doesn't GH advertise this?? Needless to say I never noticed this with my filtered water, which I am now positive was just hard water with the iron filtered out. I'm thinking I will be shocked at how these plants react to the new pure water, and hopefully the PH issues I have had will be a thing of the past.

I would say that their buffers do better with a larger quantity of solution but in the end even if I end up adding a little Up to the Aerogarden res who cares?? BTW from what I have read you need very little, since it's almost pure water.

Between this new filter and my new light I feel like I am entering the hobby for the first time! What a difference when you have the right tools for the job!

Edit: Just checked Aerogarden PH again, it is now at 5.8 as well. Strange to watch the bumpy road it took but well worth the added attention. Long live GH!! (And RO water haha)

Last edited:
a single grain of pollen can be if not is impossible to see , the pollen inside wont fly until its cell walls are dry and the pollen is as well

Bob have any ideas on how to dry the pods that have fallen off? It has been very humid in my part of the world lately. They aren't drying a bit :/

Perhaps putting them between two pages in a book and closing it will do the trick.. it does for leaves when you want to preserve them without having them crinkle up.

you dont want to smother them with their own moisture

locate the driest spot of the driest room in your house , maybe slice the pods open

run a dehumidifier in a small room or something

got to be a way around humidity

peace

I'm just hoping that I'm being impatient and the real flowers will be opening soon :)

Back