Extraction 6 Ton DIY Rosin Press

Thanks very much for the reply.

Again, I am new to this so please excuse me if this is a stupid question........When you have your rosin, how do you mix it into a chocolate bar? Do you have to reheat the rosin to melt it into the food/chocolate? I am sure this is the route I want to go down, although my first batch will be a tincture as it does seem easier when you don't know what you are doing 100%.

Keep up the good work, this certainly is a fascinating 'hobby'!

Cmoon
Icmoon:

Here is the exact recipe/method I use to make my best chocolate bar medications. Start with .5g - 1g of rosin depending on the strength of the meds you want. In a Micro Glass Borosilicate Graduated Beaker with an equal amount of cocoa butter to rosin decarb for 27 minutes @ 252°F. I do this on the bottom plate of the press just moved out enough to make a small shelf to set the beaker on. This way I can control the heat precisely. It can be done in an oven but it is really hard to get the temperature just right. Stir it a couple of times with a stainless steel tool during decarbing. I use one and a half of Lily's Original Dark Chocolate bars per batch. I buy them at Whole Foods. I melt the chocolate bar in a double boiler (Stainless steel bowl over boiling water) and stir in thoroughly the decarbed rosin. Pour into a chocolate bar mold, cool and store in the refrigerator. Break into equal size pieces and start with a small amount. Wait 2 hours to determine if you need to take more or less. I have high CBD strains and strains that are high THC. I find that if I use just one strain too many times in a row it loses efficacy; so I switch them up.

lilys.jpg

I find that this gives me medications much more effective than the best tinctures I have made.

Good luck and be careful this makes really potent medicine.

I will (be careful) But I will have to buy a press as I no longer have access to a machine room.

So just to clarify, you only use the rosin from the plant & when you have this you discard the plant?

Nice info, Thanks again, I'll get there in the end.

Cmoon

I will (be careful) But I will have to buy a press as I no longer have access to a machine room.

So just to clarify, you only use the rosin from the plant & when you have this you discard the plant?

Nice info, Thanks again, I'll get there in the end.

Cmoon
You need a good press. I tried curling irons with little to no success.

Yes, I only keep the buds the rest goes into the compost pile.

Just a quick update. I have been doing quite a bit of pressing using all sorts of settings. Full flavor comes between 165° - 185°F but it is at a cost of about 10% to 20% yield compared to pressing at 210°F. I have tried replacing the lost terpenes on high heat pressings with non-cannabis strain specific terpenes on the green crack. I does not really fix the high heat 210°F rosin. It does not seem to add much to the low heat rosin and it does not thin it well unless it is low heat low pressure rosin which really lowers yield. I would like to find a natural thinner that is not coconut oil, PG, VG or PEG etc. I am not having any luck with that. Strains that don't yield well don't yield well at any temp or pressure and vice versa good yielders yield well across the board.

I am trying several vape cartridges and variable voltage batteries to find the "Magic" combination for best flavor and function of the equipment. The problem is even if I don't inhale I get really stoned fast and testing loses credibility fast.

What a terrible problem:bong:.:doc1:
Well, the give and take of temps x yield is always the question. If you're doing it commercially, high temp and high yields will probably come first. But for personal use it's probably worth losing a bit of quantity in favor of higher quality.

And you're so right, some strains just seem to give more rosin return. I'm finding Amnesias to be the worst so far. I keep those buds for vaping and smoking, it's a better use than squishing for nothing or almost nothing. :)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'll order one now please!

Seriously though please keep me informed, you don't mind if I tag along? I'm new to this and don't smoke & to me rosin looks the best way to go (if you can afford it).

Cheers

Cmoon
You have to either be a grower or rich. :)

The real deal for me is using the dry trim from the manicure. I smoke the kief from it, or press rosin. Yum!

I'm using this:

Personally I find temperature control to be a vital component to consistent results in product quality. It is not just about quantity. I suppose that with enough experience you could get adept at controlling that with a Slug.33 but it looks a bit primitive to me.

I am typing this while I still can. I pressed an ounce of that failed ANQ from my most recent grow and got 1.3g of beautiful rosin. I mixed it with some clarified butter and was decarbing it on the lower plate of the press intending to make butter for some Thanksgiving cookies. I went to stir it and the edge of the mini beaker stuck to my finger and I spilled it. I was trying to rescue some of it off of the silicon mat that is there to catch spills when I licked my fingers without thinking about how strong this should be. I most likely will be high as a kite in an hour or so. Oh well!:holymoly:

Back