Extraction 6 Ton DIY Rosin Press

Not quite the refrigerated room, but speaking of refrigeration another trick I have used before is to toss the parchment packets in the fridge for a couple hours before doing the collecting to get them cooled off really well. Then pull them out one or two at a time to scrape up, depending on how quacking things warm back up and start getting goopy and hard to work with.

We haven't been pressing very long, but found the less heat, the lighter/more clear and more flavor we've found in it personally (just in our findings of pressing, maybe certain strains press dark?) The darker the rosin that we've pressed, the less flavor and a bit more harsh it seems to be. Do you notice any personal difference between the temps when you're pressing?

Yes there is definitely a difference in the flavor. I have pressed samples every 3°C (my PIDs are only Centigrade) from 72C/162F to 99C/210F. Same strain, yield is best ~ 210F but flavor leans a little to the harsh/burnt, not strong, but there. Flavor is cleaner - more strain dependent @ 180 - 185 without giving up too much in yield. These are my observations so far. Testing is a problem well sorta because i just jet too wasted and have to wait until the next day to continue the test :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am getting different tanks because some of the harsh flavors might be coming from the coil contact.

Yes there is definitely a difference in the flavor. I have pressed samples every 3°C (my PIDs are only Centigrade) from 72C/162F to 99C/210F. Same strain, yield is best ~ 210F but flavor leans a little to the harsh/burnt, not strong, but there. Flavor is cleaner - more strain dependent @ 180 - 185 without giving up too much in yield. These are my observations so far. Testing is a problem well sorta because i just jet too wasted and have to wait until the next day to continue the test :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am getting different tanks because some of the harsh flavors might be coming from the coil contact.

We're going to start doing the same thing with certain strains, make a list of temp/press times and just adjust by a few degrees or length of press and record the details. And I hear you on the "wasted" bit, one night I found my neighbor and I making animal shapes out of the rosin piles for about 20 minutes straight. "aren't we supposed to be pressing the rest of the stuff?" "nah, let's do it tomorrow, I'm going to go home and go to bed." :rofl:

This worked like a charm. Two ice packs tucked into a cake pan inside a cake pan and frozen. Then I placed a couple of towels under the ice packs to hold the them tight against the pan's working surface. I worked for about 30 minutes but probably would last hours. Working with the parchment right on the pan oily-sticky resin just picked right up. Then other better consistency rosin I just cooled the tool against the pan.

rosin2.jpg

rosin1.jpg

rosin4.jpg

This is the new Pre Press I made for less than $20.00. The interior dimensions are 1.25" x 1.75" x 3" tall. it comfortably holds 3.25g flower before pressing. I had good yield with this size puck on my 3" x 4" plates.

rosin3.jpg

rosin5.jpg

rosin6.jpg

@Ozone69

I know you have had problems with Oily/Sticky rosin collection. Try that trick with frozen cake pans and refreezable ice packs and let me know if it helps you out. Thanks.

Just a quick update. I have been doing quite a bit of pressing using all sorts of settings. Full flavor comes between 165° - 185°F but it is at a cost of about 10% to 20% yield compared to pressing at 210°F. I have tried replacing the lost terpenes on high heat pressings with non-cannabis strain specific terpenes on the green crack. I does not really fix the high heat 210°F rosin. It does not seem to add much to the low heat rosin and it does not thin it well unless it is low heat low pressure rosin which really lowers yield. I would like to find a natural thinner that is not coconut oil, PG, VG or PEG etc. I am not having any luck with that. Strains that don't yield well don't yield well at any temp or pressure and vice versa good yielders yield well across the board.

I am trying several vape cartridges and variable voltage batteries to find the "Magic" combination for best flavor and function of the equipment. The problem is even if I don't inhale I get really stoned fast and testing loses credibility fast.

What a terrible problem:bong:.:doc1:

I'll order one now please!

Seriously though please keep me informed, you don't mind if I tag along? I'm new to this and don't smoke & to me rosin looks the best way to go (if you can afford it).

Cheers

Cmoon

I'll order one now please!

Seriously though please keep me informed, you don't mind if I tag along? I'm new to this and don't smoke & to me rosin looks the best way to go (if you can afford it).

Cheers

Cmoon
Icmoon:
Welcome!

I have been testing various combinations of rosin blended with terpenes, EJmix and Puff Magic. I have tried many different style vape tanks and cartomizers. The thing is that I get high as shyte off just a few hits so the test sessions are short and long lasting.

Really for me the best product I have made with (decarbed) rosin is chocolate bars. They taste great and work for my pain over many hours.

I will have a new harvest in a couple of days. I will be pressing some new strains soon so more testing to follow.

Icmoon:
Welcome!

I have been testing various combinations of rosin blended with terpenes, EJmix and Puff Magic. I have tried many different style vape tanks and cartomizers. The thing is that I get high as shyte off just a few hits so the test sessions are short and long lasting.

Really for me the best product I have made with (decarbed) rosin is chocolate bars. They taste great and work for my pain over many hours.

I will have a new harvest in a couple of days. I will be pressing some new strains soon so more testing to follow.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Again, I am new to this so please excuse me if this is a stupid question........When you have your rosin, how do you mix it into a chocolate bar? Do you have to reheat the rosin to melt it into the food/chocolate? I am sure this is the route I want to go down, although my first batch will be a tincture as it does seem easier when you don't know what you are doing 100%.

Keep up the good work, this certainly is a fascinating 'hobby'!

Cmoon

Back