Extraction 6 Ton DIY Rosin Press

Got the heaters today, drilled the holes and mounted the tension springs. It is just way too hot out there in the garage to keep working perhaps tomorrow morning I will finish the build. The tension springs seem to work as I had planned. They hold the top plate up with strength to spare.

rp1.jpg
rp2.jpg
rp3.jpg

Finished the press today, just waiting on some decent parchment the stuff I have bakes cookies just fine but not good for rosin!

press1.jpg

Squish squish I did my first press with my new 6 ton DIY rosin press and it works well. Not so much the pressor. I need to learn how to handle this sticky goo. Can you say Keystone Cops....... It stuck to my fingers then it stuck to everything I touched. I thought it was not supposed to stick to silicone - I assure you it does. I am definitely on the uphill side of this learning curve.

First observations: I need to put a grip on the jack handle the diameter is too small and made my hand sore. The press needs about 15 minutes to stabilize the temperature of the plates after you turn it on. I need to learn how to fold the parchment and load the plates to best contain the rosin.

I ran 14 - 1g test presses of two strains at various temps and times. This is the data from that:

rosin1.jpg

I got about 17% return average not counting what I lost to poor handling techniques.

rosin2.jpg

All in all I am very happy with this press.
:hula::hula::hula:

Just to verify...are those temps in C?

Really nice looking press. Knew there had to be bits and pieces to make these cheaper.

For what it's worth, if you find yourself wishing you had a little more clearance between the plates with the collar bumping into the guide cross bar, there's a trick where you can flip that cross bar guide over and get another 3/4 inch or so clearance. Doesn't look like a problem with yours like it was with mine using a kit with the same 6-ton press, but thought I'd toss it out anywho. :smoking:

Back