Mephisto Genetics 3 Bears OG Top Feed Recirculating Hydro Journal

Reaction score
Hello AFN,

I'm currently experimenting, trying various methods of hydroponics and retrying them to find the one that works best for me.

Top feed recirculating with leca clay is a tried and true method, so I'm going to give it a shot here with Mephisto's 3 Bears OG.

DIY setup with a 10 gallon rez.

Here she is at day 12:
IMG_20191108_125127141_HDR.jpg

I access the rez to pH and add water etc by removing a cover:

IMG_20191108_125147708.jpg

There are 2 pumps in the rez, one attached to the drip ring which runs one minute on and nine minutes off. The other runs 24/7 to keep the rez from going stagnant by constantly recirculating the water.

I'm using a DIY dimmable pair of cobs that max out at 150 watts:
IMG_20191108_125650081_HDR.jpg

My biggest worry with this setup is roots clogging the drain. I have half inch PVC for the drain and painters mesh covering the drain entrance inside the bucket, but roots get crazy when they run out of room... I want to finish this plant in 75 days so I'm using a 1 gallon bucket to intentionally keep the plant smaller.

Here is the setup, and here is hoping I can get her to harvest time nice and healthy!
IMG_20191104_085043598-1536x2048.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck in your gardens!

Last edited:
I will be interested to see if you keep the roots out of the drain. If you had used a "T" with a plug you would have a clean out. Plants look excellent!

:pop:

That looks awesome for day 27. What are you using for nutes?

I will be interested to see if you keep the roots out of the drain. If you had used a "T" with a plug you would have a clean out. Plants look excellent!

:pop:

Thanks MOG! The drain is a concern, and it has been an issue... twice already I found her a little flooded. I actually did something similar to what you are saying by drilling a hole in the drain on top. I snake it out with a zip tie and she drains great now:

IMG_20191123_172143390-1536x2048.jpg

I have an idea for next time to make it removeable so i can get right at it.

That looks awesome for day 27. What are you using for nutes?

Thanks!

I'm using cyco base nutes and rapid start. To be honest I'm not super impressed with them. I don't remember the last time i had to use this much CaMg... Looking at the bottles they are way low in Mg. I had some leaf tacoing and some minor yellowing between veins about 9 days ago. I caught it very early so it wasn't an issue... I'm not buying their bloom nutes though. Instead I got a sample box of Dyna Gro nutrients and going to try those for bloom.

Last edited:
nice looking plant for 27 days. too bad you only got one going.

Thanks! I grow just for personal use, and between the wife and I we only use a couple ounces of flower a year. Mainly, I like to have variety so usually only grow 1 of each strain.

:smoking:

Day 27, leaf tucking and stem pinching to even the canopy:

View attachment 1131295
View attachment 1131294
View attachment 1131296
Looking good. I will be honest, you need a bigger tent. I like that you are trying to keep your plant smaller, but it is going to get much larger. You have a long time to go. I tried to do a White Crack in a 20x36 inch tent and it engulfed the whole thing. I had to move it to a 4x8 tent and it takes up a large portion of it. Also, Cobs make plants crave Cal-Mag, so don't be surprised if you use more than usual. With my Coco plants I add a significant amount of Calmag. Good luck, I will be watching. Peacez slowandeasy

BTW, I did a DWC 3BOG and it got massive. Be careful of Bud rot in that small space and humidity. She is super sticky and has potential to Bud rot. Good luck

BTW, I did a DWC 3BOG and it got massive. Be careful of Bud rot in that small space and humidity. She is super sticky and has potential to Bud rot. Good luck
Thanks for stopping by dude!

Yeah I'm a little worried she hasn't shown any signs of flowering yet really... She shouldn't get as big as DWC, but like you said she is probably gonna get a lot bigger... Should be interesting lol... :smoking:

I have some fans I'll add in flower for sure. Humidity is kinda low here usually so hopefully that will help. I'm lucky to get over 50% but I'll definitely keep an eye on airflow and I appreciate the heads up!

Back