Seed Stockers 2021 Seedstockers Solo Cup Challenge

seedstockers solo cup grow off poll vote for 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CalMag isn't needed for coco unless you are using subpar nutrients lacking those elements.
The original question was "have you cast your vote"?
You seem to have skirted past that!

It's true there are coco specific nutrients, which have higher a Calmag element.
Not everyone wants to use a coco specific nutrients.
Some use standard hydro nutes and add addition calmag, nothing wrong with that.

Coco specific nutes, that have extra calmag added, this is due to the nature of coco being a calcium hog!
Over the years ferts have improved massively and they are becoming more dialed in all the time.
This hasn't always been the case.

I mentioned calmag because I have seen calmag issues, in many grow here at AFN, over my many years at AFN.
When Calmag issues arise, you get members posting, that they are needing help, as their plants are in trouble with calmag def!

This is a quote from "Dutch Passion Tony" from Dutch Passion. this advice was from some years back.
"I think we need to ask the nutrient manufacturers how they need to reformulate their products to allow for the new feeding requirements of the plants and I will check around the Dutch Passion office to see if we have any contacts and let you know. I am sure I can initiate some cooperation from my mineralised brothers in the nutrient world. I will see if I can get them to register onsite (AFN) and give us their views."
This was from an artical he posted on the effect of LED lighting on canna plants and the fact they use more calmag, due to the full spectrum aspect of LED lights, add to that the calmag hogging tendancies of coco and you can see where it can lead to deficiencies.

Yes this is going back a few years but it also shows, where we were, not so long ago and that improvements were/are needed to be made.
Dutch Passion Tony is a well respected breeder and a generally knowledgeable guy, with all things canna related. Let us not forget it was Dutch Passion who released the first Fem seeds too! They know their sh*t.

So as you can see, there has been and can still can be, "calmag issues"!
A lot of members, who are new to growing, are often doing so on a shoe string and as such, they may not be able to afford the more expensive nutes, that others use.

Congratulations, you have a feed with plenty of calmag.
However it would have been useful to other members, if you mentioned what ferts you used or what to look for when buying nutes for coco,
rather than just firing back a pithy reply, not everyone has the superior knowledge that you have.

The AFN vibe is to be friendly and helpful, when and wherever possible, this spreads the knowledge to those who have yet to learn it and creates a sense of comradery , which AFN is known for!:vibe:

It would be great if you created a thread, using your knowledge, to help other members gain the same knowledge, that you have!
Sharing is caring!
Here is the link --->>>Discussion: Growing with Coco-Coir
I look forward to the the Thread you start, on the "Hows and Why's of Coco Nutes", I'm sure the other members will be too and I'm sure they would also love to know the brands to look out for, when growing in COCO!:coco:
I just did a quick search on Calmag in the forums and there were 10 pages, where clamag was mentioned in a post, as a mater of concern or as an addition, to a feed regime.
Maybe you could be the one to help, with their grows, so they can grow the best they can, I'm sure they would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
The original question was "have you cast your vote"?
You seem to have skirted past that!

It's true there are coco specific nutrients, which have higher a Calmag element.
Not everyone wants to use a coco specific nutrients.
Some use standard hydro nutes and add addition calmag, nothing wrong with that.

Coco specific nutes, that have extra calmag added, this is due to the nature of coco being a calcium hog!
Over the years ferts have improved massively and they are becoming more dialed in all the time.
This hasn't always been the case.

I mentioned calmag because I have seen calmag issues, in many grow here at AFN, over my many years at AFN.
When Calmag issues arise, you get members posting, that they are needing help, as their plants are in trouble with calmag def!

This is a quote from "Dutch Passion Tony" from Dutch Passion. this advice was from some years back.
"I think we need to ask the nutrient manufacturers how they need to reformulate their products to allow for the new feeding requirements of the plants and I will check around the Dutch Passion office to see if we have any contacts and let you know. I am sure I can initiate some cooperation from my mineralised brothers in the nutrient world. I will see if I can get them to register onsite (AFN) and give us their views."
This was from an artical he posted on the effect of LED lighting on canna plants and the fact they use more calmag, due to the full spectrum aspect of LED lights, add to that the calmag hogging tendancies of coco and you can see where it can lead to deficiencies.

Yes this is going back a few years but it also shows, where we were, not so long ago and that improvements were/are needed to be made.
Dutch Passion Tony is a well respected breeder and a generally knowledgeable guy, with all things canna related. Let us not forget it was Dutch Passion who released the first Fem seeds too! They know their sh*t.

So as you can see, there has been and can still can be, "calmag issues"!
A lot of members, who are new to growing, are often doing so on a shoe string and as such, they may not be able to afford the more expensive nutes, that others use.

Congratulations, you have a feed with plenty of calmag.
However it would have been useful to other members, if you mentioned what ferts you used or what to look for when buying nutes for coco,
rather than just firing back a pithy reply, not everyone has the superior knowledge that you have.

The AFN vibe is to be friendly and helpful, when and wherever possible, this spreads the knowledge to those who have yet to learn it and creates a sense of comradery , which AFN is known for!:vibe:

It would be great if you created a thread, using your knowledge, to help other members gain the same knowledge, that you have!
Sharing is caring!
Here is the link --->>>Discussion: Growing with Coco-Coir
I look forward to the the Thread you start, on the "Hows and Why's of Coco Nutes", I'm sure the other members will be too and I'm sure they would also love to know the brands to look out for, when growing in COCO!:coco:
I just did a quick search on Calmag in the forums and there were 10 pages, where clamag was mentioned in a post, as a mater of concern or as an addition, to a feed regime.
Maybe you could be the one to help, with their grows, so they can grow the best they can, I'm sure they would really appreciate it!
superb info I use emerald harvest nutes and they say you don't need calmag but I got mog to write me a detailed spreadsheet with all my water values and what was in all my bottles and he indeed said I needed calmag each feed so a lot depends on your water source and thanks arty my brother

arty this was my girl just for the sake of it as I didn't enter as I wanted these new guys to have a no-pressure grow and they have all blew my mind

Attachments

• 20210630_131332.jpg
    20210630_131332.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
CalMag isn't needed for coco unless you are using subpar nutrients lacking those elements.
I was told that if your using LED's, then you should always add Cal/Mag :shrug: is that not correct then?

I was told that if your using LED's, then you should always add Cal/Mag :shrug: is that not correct then?
a lot of its down to your starting water but if you ask manofgreen nice he may do you some calculations I got all the info on my feed bottles and he made me a chart and I need to add to mine but he's a whizz with nutes bro

a lot of its down to your starting water but if you ask manofgreen nice he may do you some calculations I got all the info on my feed bottles and he made me a chart and I need to add to mine but he's a whizz with nutes bro
Thats good to know mate thanks :thumbsup: someone told me, when I first got an LED that you should add extra Cal/Mag. I asked Mars Hydro Tina and she said the same. But that was with my old blurple light, it may be different with the new white lights though :shrug:

No LEDs do not increase the need for calcium. The plant needs 80 - 140 PPMs of calcium no matter the light source.

What people mistake for Light Burn or a calcium deficiency is an out of balance condition caused by the rapid growth that good LED lights allow and a PH problem caused by the root exudates when the plant transitions into flower. Most if not all indoor growers either turn up the lights or allow the plants to grow closer to the fixtures when flowering starts. A few things happen here: The plants get more PAR. PPFD this will cause the plant to grow faster. The faster growth pulls more water into the plant and this carries more nutrients. A lot of the time this is too much fertilizer because by now the pot is getting "too hot" and can cuase lock-outs. Another factor is the root exudates that lower the PH in the root zone. This is a temporary condition that is intended to signal the microbes to produce more P-K for the plant which they will do. If your pot is already high in P-K the plant can take in too much. If the pot is already too high in calcium the plant then gets too much of it also.

You need to keep in mind all of the sources of calcium starting with your soil, then water, base nutrients and Cal-Mag. Add it all up and make sure you stay in range.

:goodluck:

Back