1st timer with a question

a question about my new lights. They have a switch for bloom and veg atm I have both turned on is this right or should i just have the veg turned on ?
@420 has you covered on the lights. I would just leave both on myself.

As to the root farm nutes, you should be fine with them as long as you don't starve the plants or, perhaps more likely, lock them out. I would just follow the manufacturer's guidelines for mixing, and then dilute down to your target ppm/EC. Mix them in the order suggested, and mix well between components. I would start at ~200 ppm or even less, and plan on ramping up to somewhere between 400 and 500. some plants may want more than 500, but don't go higher unless the plants beg you for it.

You should have a pH meter as well as a ppm/ec meter if you want to make sure that you don't let the pH get out of whack. Sadly, the cheap pH meters tend to die early. The Apera pH60 has been a great tool for me, still going strong after more than a year, and still within 0.02 of the calibration standard and it has never been calibrated. The cheapie I started with lasted about a week before dying.

The Root Farm nutes don't seem to have much micro nutrient content, it seems that the product depends on the medium to provide them. So, I would suggest adding a bit of kelp to your nute mix to help out with micro nutrients.

Good luck with your grow. :pighug:

@420 has you covered on the lights. I would just leave both on myself.

As to the root farm nutes, you should be fine with them as long as you don't starve the plants or, perhaps more likely, lock them out. I would just follow the manufacturer's guidelines for mixing, and then dilute down to your target ppm/EC. Mix them in the order suggested, and mix well between components. I would start at ~200 ppm or even less, and plan on ramping up to somewhere between 400 and 500. some plants may want more than 500, but don't go higher unless the plants beg you for it.

You should have a pH meter as well as a ppm/ec meter if you want to make sure that you don't let the pH get out of whack. Sadly, the cheap pH meters tend to die early. The Apera pH60 has been a great tool for me, still going strong after more than a year, and still within 0.02 of the calibration standard and it has never been calibrated. The cheapie I started with lasted about a week before dying.

The Root Farm nutes don't seem to have much micro nutrient content, it seems that the product depends on the medium to provide them. So, I would suggest adding a bit of kelp to your nute mix to help out with micro nutrients.

Good luck with your grow. :pighug:

wrong tag for me, lol..............................................................but me won't say nuffin if u don't :smoking: ppp

wrong tag for me, lol..............................................................but me won't say nuffin if u don't :smoking: ppp
oopsie. And no weed involved. Must just be the grey hair. :biggrin:

thanks for all the advice everyone.
I have decided just to leave both bloom and veg lights on for the time being.
As for the nutes the manufacturers guidelines are not really clear on which to use or if I should be using more then one of the part 2 products like the person in the video is doing.
it says I have to use the base part 1 which contains N-4% K2O -1% and Ca 5.5% the other 3 products the part 2's all have the same things in it N, P2O5, K2O, MG, and S just different %. Is there a certain % that I should be going for? and that's why the person in the video was mixing more then 1 of the part 2 products.
I have attached the nutrition schedule that the person in the video made. I was going to sort of follow and adjust the ppm to the previous recommendation but it is for regular plants not autos so there is about 3 weeks that would have to be removed if anyone has any ideas of which ones I should remove.
nutrient schedule.jpeg

The first light I used was PhiLzon. Work fine, grew at least LB with so far. It's still in the tent I put it over my seedlings now. I always run it with both switches on.

Pro-Mix HP is great stuff! I also use Root Farm pH up and can attest to that. As for their nutrients, best thing to do is mix up a batch of late bloom nutes and check the ppm. Scale it down to 500-550 and apply that scale factor to the rest of the nutrient schedule.

I’d aim for plain waterings in between each nutrient feeding, always pH’ed to somewhere between 5.8-6.3.

Pro-Mix HP is great stuff! I also use Root Farm pH up and can attest to that. As for their nutrients, best thing to do is mix up a batch of late bloom nutes and check the ppm. Scale it down to 500-550 and apply that scale factor to the rest of the nutrient schedule.

I’d aim for plain waterings in between each nutrient feeding, always pH’ed to somewhere between 5.8-6.3.

thanks for the advice
I am planning to mixing as the video and chart shows but adjust my ppm and ph accordingly. It was recommended to start around 200ppm and work my way up to the 500-550 range
A friend of mine suggested to water every other day but reduce the nutes. So day 1- water with the shown nutes then skip a day. day3- water with half of the nutes of day 1 then skip a day, day 5 - water with plain water then skip a day. then start the next weeks nute schedule. So the way he does it is a plants week is only 6 days not 7.

He also informed me that I was not watering them properly. Apparently I wasn't getting the water down deep enough by just lightly spaying the top, was only getting the top 1"or 2" so especially with the larger pot. He ripped up a lil on one of the drain holes in the bottom and showed me how dry it was and said I need to work the water down to help the roots stretch out
He also pointed out that I probably didn't soak my soil enough when I packed my pots at which point I told him I only soaked and mixed the top half of my pots with water. I should of soaked and mixed the bottom half then filled the rest and then soaked and mixed the rest. oops lol

there still looking good tho so hopefully I caught it in time

thanks for the advice
I am planning to mixing as the video and chart shows but adjust my ppm and ph accordingly. It was recommended to start around 200ppm and work my way up to the 500-550 range
A friend of mine suggested to water every other day but reduce the nutes. So day 1- water with the shown nutes then skip a day. day3- water with half of the nutes of day 1 then skip a day, day 5 - water with plain water then skip a day. then start the next weeks nute schedule. So the way he does it is a plants week is only 6 days not 7.

He also informed me that I was not watering them properly. Apparently I wasn't getting the water down deep enough by just lightly spaying the top, was only getting the top 1"or 2" so especially with the larger pot. He ripped up a lil on one of the drain holes in the bottom and showed me how dry it was and said I need to work the water down to help the roots stretch out
He also pointed out that I probably didn't soak my soil enough when I packed my pots at which point I told him I only soaked and mixed the top half of my pots with water. I should of soaked and mixed the bottom half then filled the rest and then soaked and mixed the rest. oops lol

there still looking good tho so hopefully I caught it in time
Once a week I put mine in the shower in pans and water from bottom and top. Very slowly so everything gets moist from the capillary action. Takes about 2 hours for 4 2.5 gal pots and a 1.5 and about twice the normal amount. Then set em shower pan to drain off excess in pot, extra nute water goes to the garden n house plants.

alright good to know I am going to go grab temp/humidity meter today to see what it actually is in there.
If u have a extraction fan going u could do away with it untill u get some true leafs as u don't need to worry too much about co2 and smell wild they are small. That will help you keep high humidity in your room with out need to cover Ur seedlings. I've had a issue with damping off on the stems in past from leaving them covered over too long with rh getting close to 80+ inside a bottle. You will also save a few £ in elecy ignore me of u have no extraction running. I'd head over to the @Marshydro threads of Ur looking for affordable lighting. I've never owned one but hear great things about them on here.

Good luck with the grow Ur doing great so far I'll give u a follow

THC :headbang:

Back