1st grow - needing help

Agree to disagree I guess :shrug: if the pots doesn’t dry out there shouldn’t be cation exchange… Don’t get me wrong I am not saying to start dumping feeding to them.. I grow in 3 gal grow bags and let them go 2-3 days between feedings for the first 2-3 weeks… But when I do fertigate it is always to run off and that doesn’t take 4-5l more like 1l.. I have transplanted auto’s with good luck but prefer not to so I don’t like starting in a smaller pot IMO the risk of stunting her during transplanting is much higher then overwatering in coco
Everyone does things different. But yeah read the screenshot I uploaded. “Seedling pots are small”. I quickly realised when I transplanted my root system was more vast than when I grew them in their first and final containers, and I got more weight. My quality improved a lot. I average 4oz absolute minimum, and 8oz has been my biggest so far. All under a 240w light usually and small space. Everyone should feel free to do what they gonna do, it’s all trial and error. But since watching bill ward transplant on YouTube years back, I did it also and noticed much better results. At least for me, but everyone else is different. My transplanted Runtz was nearly 5ft tall despite constant lst. I like to let the roots get root bound a bit before transplant. For some reason they just go crazy after the transplant. If you do things gently, it works out great. HEre is my banana purple punch that I grew in a solo cup for 12 days then transplanted into a 12L pot. Just sharing my experience with all my trial and error. I don’t expect anyone to try and take me seriously. I just do what works best for me from learning with every grow as I like to experiment a lot

FA23982B-9EFF-41F9-A5A0-7ACD66EE9A22.jpeg

B9243A19-2DD2-4CD9-88F1-6DCBABFF5702.jpeg

Last edited:
Everyone does things different. But yeah read the screenshot I uploaded. “Seedling pots are small”. I quickly realised when I transplanted my root system was more vast than when I grew them in their first and final containers, and I got more weight. My quality improved a lot. I average 4oz absolute minimum, and 8oz has been my biggest so far. All under a 240w light usually and small space. Everyone should feel free to do what they gonna do, it’s all trial and error. But since watching bill ward transplant on YouTube years back, I did it also and noticed much better results. At least for me, but everyone else is different. My transplanted Runtz was nearly 5ft tall despite constant lst. I like to let the roots get root bound a bit before transplant. For some reason they just go crazy after the transplant. If you do things gently, it works out great
Yessir and I am always open to new ideas and trying new things… you have given me enough argument and not in a bad way that I am just gonna have to try it :thanks::d5:always looking to improve and TBH I have not transplanted coco ones just ones I’ve done in soil

Yessir and I am always open to new ideas and trying new things… you have given me enough argument and not in a bad way that I am just gonna have to try it :thanks::d5:always looking to improve and TBH I have not transplanted coco ones just ones I’ve done in soil
With my banana purple punch I snapped her main stem training. I taped her up but after harvesting her, I taken the tape off and realised that she never healed. From the snap, the rest of her stems got thinner. But she never skipped a beat. Her transplant wasn’t the most gentle either to say the least. As long as you don’t majorly fuck it up, most strains will respond fast and be happy. I’ve had some issues with my current grow due to experimentation. But from experimenting once again I have learned more, and to me, the seedling stage is the absolute most important one of all. If you treat them real good, and you do the rest right in veg and flower, you can really push them into beauties. If you screw the seedling stage up, those missed out days affect your veg time, so they don’t quite perform how they really could have. BPP was my fav plant to grow to date though

Well cookiemonster you should be encouraged by hearing a few different approaches that have all resulted in fine bud because it proves there’s no right or wrong way, it’s all about what works best for you. I would DEFINITELY listen to these guys because I’m the least “knowledgeable“ grower you’ll find here and that’s why I mentioned I only know what’s worked for me. You see, I don’t test runoff, don’t have an ec pen, in fact I don’t even know what ec stands for. I don’t have a ph pen I just use the drops like for a pool. I plant straight to final pot because I figure its a weed, they grow anywhere and I have no desire to add an extra step is all. Obviously both work with great results or people wouldn’t debate it. I don’t know how the plant uses the fertilizer or what’s in the fertilizer because it just doesn’t interest me. I just mix a cocktail every day and give it to them. I keep a close eye on the plants for spots, yellow, etc and haven’t seen anything so I’m not yet educated on deficiencies but I will be eventually I’m sure. I keep my light far away simply because the sun is far away and common sense tells me that a higher light with more power will result in less drastic ppfd changes between the top and bottom of the plant. I could be wrong but the plants sure seem to love it. Bottom line as I stated before I use coco and a scheduled feed plan because its simple. I just want to water the plant every day and smoke great bud when it’s done. Everybody’s way is the best way because it works for them. :cheers:

Well cookiemonster you should be encouraged by hearing a few different approaches that have all resulted in fine bud because it proves there’s no right or wrong way, it’s all about what works best for you. I would DEFINITELY listen to these guys because I’m the least “knowledgeable“ grower you’ll find here and that’s why I mentioned I only know what’s worked for me. You see, I don’t test runoff, don’t have an ec pen, in fact I don’t even know what ec stands for. I don’t have a ph pen I just use the drops like for a pool. I plant straight to final pot because I figure its a weed, they grow anywhere and I have no desire to add an extra step is all. Obviously both work with great results or people wouldn’t debate it. I don’t know how the plant uses the fertilizer or what’s in the fertilizer because it just doesn’t interest me. I just mix a cocktail every day and give it to them. I keep a close eye on the plants for spots, yellow, etc and haven’t seen anything so I’m not yet educated on deficiencies but I will be eventually I’m sure. I keep my light far away simply because the sun is far away and common sense tells me that a higher light with more power will result in less drastic ppfd changes between the top and bottom of the plant. I could be wrong but the plants sure seem to love it. Bottom line as I stated before I use coco and a scheduled feed plan because its simple. I just want to water the plant every day and smoke great bud when it’s done. Everybody’s way is the best way because it works for them. :cheers:
Electrical conductivity :d5: Also if your going to stick with coco get some meter's even if they are cheap ones :pighug:

I totally agree with above statement.... I am by no means a expert and the biggest issue I had when starting out was all the conflicting theories...You just need to pick one and go with it.. They all work with great success might not be the first though every grow is going to be different.. Once you can start learning how to adapt stuff to your grow and your style then you are a farmer :toke:

It’s

It’s not impossible to over water in coco. Overwatering comes down to how much volume of water or feed you give it. It does not come down to how many times you feed or water. If you put a seedling in a 16L pot, and feed it even 5L of water, you will see stunted growth. Overwatering comes down to drowning the roots. Yes, coco has plenty of oxygen. But trust me you will stunt it. This is why cocoforcannabis is very clear on starting seeds in small pots then transplanting. This it to avoid overwatering. I believed all the bullshit about being impossible to overwater in coco. Yeah sure if you place the seed in a solo cup or something small, and you feed to run off every day then the chances of you over watering is slim. But it’s completely different if you start them in pots that are big. I have done this, and tested this several times until the results were clear for me not to do that again. If you start them in a big pot, there’s no point saturating the entire pot with feed or water. It will take ages to dry out and before you know it, your entire pot is building up salts and there’s stale co2. The problem with research is that many people suggest things and state it to be true, but just because someone says it’s true doesn’t make it true lol it’s bro science. Same as what I’m saying, you can take what I’m saying and say it’s bro science. But I have tried these things time and time again and have gotten the exact same results. So I will never pot up into a big pot and feed to run off every day. Why feed seedlings several litres of water to run off when at most they will drink around a shot glass 60ml or less a day until they’re bigger. They won’t drink much more the first week. By keeping them soaked every day, you aren’t encouraging root development. You have to let them get dryer in between (not completey dry), but you have to force them to look for water
Yeah you obviously wouldn‘t need to soak the pot every day in the beginning. That’s why I water once the day before dropping the bean and again at day 3 after sprout. Other than that it’s just a spray bottle. So that’s about 7 days in between. Keeping soil moist and not drowning roots isn’t really rocket surgery so I just use common sense and it’s worked so far.

Last edited:
So i've ordered an EC meter, fingers crossed it will be with me in next few days. I'm going to get coco based nutrients etc at weekend. So been having to use the biobizz. Plants have grown a little but, leaves still drooping and they're turning yellow. pictures dont really show it too well but top leaves yellowing too. Have the plants gone into nutrient lock? and if so would i be best to flush with just ph,d water? and if so would i best to soak the whole pot (11L) to get the 20% run off. they're at day 14/15 currently

Attachments

• 20221227_230414.jpg
    20221227_230414.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20221227_230500.jpg
    20221227_230500.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221227_230517.jpg
    20221227_230517.jpg
    997.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221227_230536.jpg
    20221227_230536.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
So i've ordered an EC meter, fingers crossed it will be with me in next few days. I'm going to get coco based nutrients etc at weekend. So been having to use the biobizz. Plants have grown a little but, leaves still drooping and they're turning yellow. pictures dont really show it too well but top leaves yellowing too. Have the plants gone into nutrient lock? and if so would i be best to flush with just ph,d water? and if so would i best to soak the whole pot (11L) to get the 20% run off. they're at day 14/15 currently
Just my opinion but that coco looks incredibly dry possibly hydrophobic ... I would fertigate with nutrients not plain water!!! I start at 200ppm and once first true leaves get to 1" I start bumping the ppm up daily 50 ppm each day.. IMO I would fertigate the whole pot to 20% runoff but you may get some conflicting theory's on that :thumbsup::goodluck:

Just my opinion but that coco looks incredibly dry possibly hydrophobic ... I would fertigate with nutrients not plain water!!! I start at 200ppm and once first true leaves get to 1" I start bumping the ppm up daily 50 ppm each day.. IMO I would fertigate the whole pot to 20% runoff but you may get some conflicting theory's on that :thumbsup::goodluck:
Is there any way to figure that out without an EC meter? looking like its getting delivered on friday. ive also got smaller pots now for seedlings so they're not in huge pots from get go

Is there any way to figure that out without an EC meter? looking like its getting delivered on friday
Not that I know maybe if you knew the full strength ppm you could figure how much to dilute (not very precise though)... Other then having meter I don't know how to check ppm/ec

Edit: if some here knows that nute brand that maybe able to get you in the ball park but I have never used BIO bizz only MC and FF

Back