New Grower 1st grow; Amare SolarEclipse 450, Advanced Nutes, Coco

Those lower leaves have two things going on. First at sometime in the past they got a little bit too much nitrogen although your new growth is looking fine so I wouldn't worry about the nitrogen right now.

The other is a Calcium deficiency so if you have any calmag now is the time to start feeding. The one provision I would make is if you're Cal Mag has nitrogen in it you may want to reduce your total nitrogen that you're feeding because your new growth looks just right.

Once you feed the cal/mag you'll notice some greening up above so that's why I say you're going to have to watch the nitrogen there.

I'm going through the same exact thing @Only1Sky ..we have the same leafs curling down and I have a little discoloration starting on bottom leafs.. I'm trying to diagnose now.
Yes, I see from looking at your most recent Grow posts -- looks kind similar. We're both running the Amare SE450, but I don't think that is related. Only 1 of my four is affected - the SWEETSEEDS Trainwreck.

Those lower leaves have two things going on. First at sometime in the past they got a little bit too much nitrogen although your new growth is looking fine so I wouldn't worry about the nitrogen right now.

The other is a Calcium deficiency so if you have any calmag now is the time to start feeding. The one provision I would make is if you're Cal Mag has nitrogen in it you may want to reduce your total nitrogen that you're feeding because your new growth looks just right.

Once you feed the cal/mag you'll notice some greening up above so that's why I say you're going to have to watch the nitrogen there.
Hi Jingo, I've been using AN's Sensi Cal-mag Xtra from the beginning - 1 ml/l at every feed. Last feed, two days ago, I raised the Cal-mag to 1.5 ml/l.
The bottle says: "4-0-0" with this picture:
$_57.JPG

I don't really like all the nitrogen you have in your Cal Mag I use cslimagic which has quite a bit in it itself I think it's like a total of two units nitrogen. After a whole bunch of testing I found it's best to feed my plants two ml Cal Mag per gallon all the way through start to finish. I don't know what that's going to be for you with that stuff your using I might look around and try and find something that is lower in nitrogen than that if I were you.

I might look around and try and find something that is lower in nitrogen than that if I were you.
yea i would do that man. i never used AN's calmag because of that high N. i use botanicare calmag+ its 2-0-0
but yea your plant needs calmag brotha...

So, @jingo and @tripaholic88, just to be clear, are you saying my leaf coloration issue is Nitrogen toxicity, or Cal-Mag deficiency, of a bit of both?

Either way, I hear you about AN's Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra being way too high in nitrogen. I've noticed that complaint in other grow journals I've read during the past weeks (of course, I already had a 4 liter bottle before I read anything here). I just assumed, going all AN would ensure a set of products that worked well together. Ah, we know where assumptions get you.

I think I read somewhere that there is a Cal-Mag with 0-0-0. Maybe that would be more ideal for me?

To clarify my earlier statement if I can. The nitrogen toxicity occurred early in the plant's life and has only affected the oldest leaves. Those leaves are also the first place your plant will look for mobile nutrients and you can see how the plant has been taking the calcium from those leaves and leaving rust colored spots. If you look at the new leaves the green is healthy but there's a little motiling of yellow there. That is usually magnesium deficiency. I didn't mention that because Cal Mag has both and that will clear up automatically, but I should have because it's worth you knowing how to diagnose your plant in the future.

When you have a plant that has been deficient in calcium and you feed it calcium it will be able to utilize the nitrogen more fully so you may get much Greener leaves even if you feed a little less nitrogen.

To clarify my earlier statement if I can. The nitrogen toxicity occurred early in the plant's life and has only affected the oldest leaves. Those leaves are also the first place your plant will look for mobile nutrients and you can see how the plant has been taking the calcium from those leaves and leaving rust colored spots. If you look at the new leaves the green is healthy but there's a little motiling of yellow there. That is usually magnesium deficiency. I didn't mention that because Cal Mag has both and that will clear up automatically, but I should have because it's worth you knowing how to diagnose your plant in the future.

When you have a plant that has been deficient in calcium and you feed it calcium it will be able to utilize the nitrogen more fully so you may get much Greener leaves even if you feed a little less nitrogen.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Back