Lighting WWWillie builds himself some COB lighting.

wwwillie

AFN Vibe Guardian
Staff member
AFN Admin
AFN Global Moderator
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
anything I can get my hands on!
Hey now!
Going to start a build journal. I have almost everything I need to build except the time. Hopefully starting this journal will provide some motivation to find the time!

Here's what I have.
4 Citizen CLU048-1212 90CRI (got these on sale as they are a bit off spec.)
1 Meanwell HLG-120H-C1050B
4 ideal holders
4 PC CPU heat sinks that I hope will be enough for passive cooling
1 100k ohm liner pot for dimming.

What I need.
Screws and a way to mount them. One of those nifty power meters.

This setup is going into the space I call my Mother Cab. it is only 2x4x4 ft so this should work well and be more light than I need. That's why the dimming driver and the power meter. I hopoe to find the sweet spot and keep it there. Right now I am using CFL and it's too hot.

Sweet @wwwillie Are you mounting the driver outside the cab.. what colour temperature are the 1212's
:pass:

Hey!
Thanks for stopping by.
They are 3500k. 90CRI I will most likely mount outside the tents. With my other set up I was surprised how hot they get. Want to build a nice mount for them in a central location. You know that's another reason @BigSm0 's Autocobs rock. The individual driver; just plug it in.

That's going to be perfect. Not to many people going this route but it surely is going to work well for you. I really like that you went with the 1050 driver. Running the cobs a bit softer requires an extra cob which is a little more money but it's well worth it in the long run. Duggy made a good point on the driver. I'm not sure what that driver pulls but it will add digits on the thermometer. The only down side is the wires. Anyone who suffers from OCD couldn't deal with them. Maybe a thick cable jacket or something like it, with a disconnect.

Now you have people waiting so please make some time lol.

That's going to be perfect. Not to many people going this route but it surely is going to work well for you. I really like that you went with the 1050 driver. Running the cobs a bit softer requires an extra cob which is a little more money but it's well worth it in the long run. Duggy made a good point on the driver. I'm not sure what that driver pulls but it will add digits on the thermometer. The only down side is the wires. Anyone who suffers from OCD couldn't deal with them. Maybe a thick cable jacket or something like it, with a disconnect.

Now you have people waiting so please make some time lol.
Indeed.
I am going to work on this Saturday. Hope to take pictures and all that. Stay tuned.
Ya, been thinking about it. This is going in my mother cab that is actually my workbench. I will most likely mount the driver outside on the rear of the side wall out of the cab and out of the way. I agree about the wires etc. I can be pretty neat about it, I have heat shrink and tech flex galore so I can dress them up to look nice. I always get fussy about the wiring in my amps and stuff so I'll try to bring that to these projects.
And safety, always a good thing. Electricity is not your friend! I feel pretty confident, I have built tube amps like the Dynaco 70. Those el34's have a B+ of around 450v!!

Indeed.
I am going to work on this Saturday. Hope to take pictures and all that. Stay tuned.
Ya, been thinking about it. This is going in my mother cab that is actually my workbench. I will most likely mount the driver outside on the rear of the side wall out of the cab and out of the way. I agree about the wires etc. I can be pretty neat about it, I have heat shrink and tech flex galore so I can dress them up to look nice. I always get fussy about the wiring in my amps and stuff so I'll try to bring that to these projects.
And safety, always a good thing. Electricity is not your friend! I feel pretty confident, I have built tube amps like the Dynaco 70. Those el34's have a B+ of around 450v!!
I'm sure you'll be fine and it will look phenomenal. I start getting nervous when I see cobs taped to sauce pans.

And so it begins. I have the house to myself, the vape is loaded and so is the vaper!! I just spent two hours looking for my camera gear. I suspect my spouse has put my kit somewhere, but just exactly where is a mystery to me. Regardless the show must go on so it's the phone camera for now.

These are the CPU heatsinks I have. They have a nice hunk of copper with heat tubes through the aluminum fins. Made for active cooling with the fins so tight but I am hoping that they will work with my COBs and how I plan on driving them. If I need fans so be it.

The ideal holder fits nicely.

582aaff7bd72229ea78b86fce345ccb0.jpg

Hear you can see the heat tubes.

d25b56aa29fd5bcf0354c7129ac99b22.jpg

The fins are close...
0835ad51ac97c3df921d7161772dba9f.jpg

Next step I will need to drill and tap four holes in each to mount the ideal holders and the LEDiL Angelina reflector adapter rings. Unfortunately my drill press is still covered by a ton of crap from various household projects so it's hand drill time. Argh...

Be back in a bit.

Last edited:
9d3b76cbd3a9ceca5ffc9fdc2c34991f.jpg

Tools at the ready, time to vape a bowl and get busy!!

Edit: Well crap... That tap and die set stinks. The tap handle does not fit the 6-32 tap so it got stuck and snapped off when I tried to remove it. Grrr....
So back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Finally I have one built. Got what I needed at the local hardware store. Amazing the difference a decent tool makes. I drilled and tapped the four holes and cleaned up real well with some isopropyl alc. I used the little pre-cut thermal pads for good heat transfer. I am happy with how it came out. Three more to go. Better get to it. Well maybe a quick bowl first.
e49f562a9948191c0ef8b9da56b6a368.jpg
6d73a7d6f0a55dda15f587ded5ca0bdd.jpg
6ed31d55aef04d08a11dd243f991856a.jpg
282e587b5a1dbe255e16378af2159328.jpg

Last edited:
Back