Lighting DIY overkill 200W single COB

even with the non calibrated luxmeter from my old smartphone? if yes i am going to do it for max distance ( 1,40m )

Yea, should be okay to see light coverage.
If your tent is 160cm high... did you count pot height (around 30cm) and plant height? Let say you'll scrog plants at 30cm, and pots are 30cm. So you have 100cm left for your superintense light. Should be better to test it at 100cm and let say 60cm.

Thanks man, i am rly looking forward to see some healthy vegies grow under this light. I am even considering to get a pair of autopots haha

Yea, should be okay to see light coverage.
If your tent is 160cm high... did you count pot height (around 30cm) and plant height? Let say you'll scrog plants at 30cm, and pots are 30cm. So you have 100cm left for your superintense light. Should be better to test it at 100cm and let say 60cm.

okay i am going to do the measurements at 100 and 60 cm distance from light. Gonna turn the COB on max and divide the space into 9 fields.

Also i did some testings today with letting the COB run for 2 hours on max ( @ 2,8A ) to get some temp readings. I ordered a handheld laser temp reader for this ( and many other applications hehe ).

2 hours @ 2,8 Amps got the passive heatsink up to 57,6°C. No tent ventilation, no active air changing just opened the tent on the downside 100mm tube intake and the upside 100mm tube outake so the warm air can escape by itself.

Last edited:
So i am done and here are the results for the Vero 29 at 2.8 A

dfgh.PNG

So i am done and here are the results for the Vero 29 at 2.8 A

View attachment 794354

That heatsink is some kind of monster!! Really nice temps! :drool:

And pretty good "PAR" map coverage too - from only one COB. Now I wonder what happens if you lower it a bit more to get more photons... But okay, I will not disturb you anymore. :pighug:

When you start diary, please tag me in. We have the same tent and I would love to see this monster in action!
And thank you for data!! :pass:

nice work,you sure go the extra mile on the details.
fascinating stuff.
:pighug:

haha well if someone is rly interested in the stuff i am doing then i will do my best to get any answer he is searching for.

I am also going to buy a good LUX meter ( but a cheap one that is factory calibrated ) and repeat the testings. Maybe in near future i am also going to invest in a PAR meter from apogee ( want to get the MQ-500, it costs a lot but i can use it many times for many readings )

That heatsink is some kind of monster!! Really nice temps! :drool:

And pretty good "PAR" map coverage too - from only one COB. Now I wonder what happens if you lower it a bit more to get more photons... But okay, I will not disturb you anymore. :pighug:

When you start diary, please tag me in. We have the same tent and I would love to see this monster in action!
And thank you for data!! :pass:

The heatsink is a special passive heatsink desinged for 200 - 300W COB modules. cost me $86 and then shipping to EU.
The company has some smaller and even much bigger ones too but u cant order them in an onlineshop, you have to write an email with a distributer.
If you want the details just ask. It is the best passive heatsink i've seen so far with distance.

I think the coverage comes from the COB hanging that high ( with a 90 degree reflector ) and the reflective walls from the tent are increasing the light amount.
This can be seen in the corners where the LUX readings get almost as high as in the center ( the sides and the corners have the same distance from the COB )

If you tell me how you want me to do the testings i am going to try my best. Sadly i dont have a way of reading out the Amps i am driving the COB with.

Back