Lighting WWWillie - COBs on the cheap or Such a deal!

Wow thanks @L0wbob2017 nice write up. Yup that's pretty close to the chip all right. Again sorry about the pics. I will reload when I get home tonight.
Nice summary on the output / input and wattage.
Yup the mounting is always the bear. That's what was so sweet about this project. I bought this stuff because because I like to fiddle and it was cheep as hell. The fact that it all fit together like they were made too was a complete surprise and a major bonus!!

did i get that right, that u dont have a fan on your heatsink?
If yes, why not if it gets too hot? no powersuply? (12V fan needs about 0,5-1,25 A | 5V fan needs about 0,25 - 0,5 A | fans can be wired parallel, add the Amps. lets say u get 6x12V fans you just need a DC driver with 12V 3A)

i have mixed feelings on these. I would guess the efficiency is much lower than 40% but the price is perfect. Usually with leds and cobs you get what you pay for. A 3$ xp-G3 or a .02cent epistar. We all know to well how good epistar is and their life span.

They have fans. I will be connecting them up. I hav a widget from a pc that is a fan controller with thermal probes. Should control the fans as they need. I can whip up a 12vdc power supply with what's in my bin o crap.
Oh heck yeah I agree completely BigSM0. I would not really recommend these as anything more than fun. Wouldn't want to bet a grow on them. But as I have said it's been fun and I will use them. Just won't rely on them.

They have fans. I will be connecting them up. I hav a widget from a pc that is a fan controller with thermal probes. Should control the fans as they need. I can whip up a 12vdc power supply with what's in my bin o crap.
Oh heck yeah I agree completely BigSM0. I would not really recommend these as anything more than fun. Wouldn't want to bet a grow on them. But as I have said it's been fun and I will use them. Just won't rely on them.

well i can tell you as soon as u got some fans running the heat will stay almost stable ( depending on the fan speed assuming constant powerdraw from the COB ). So maybe the thermal fan speed controll might be an overkill.

( just FYI i also wanted to implement temperature controlled cooling [ i am using watercooling hahaha ] but after measuring the temp on lowest fan settings and max powerdraw from the COB my temps stayed at 34-35°C watertemp after a 3 hour run at 26°C room temp )

Update:
I have been running one of these every day for several hours. It isn't over a plant, it's over my work bench. It works great though, cool to the touch with the fan running, nice and bright for working under it. When the cold weather gets here and I start indoor veg gardening again, I'll use the four of these for that purpose and we'll see how well the grow stuff.
Peace

Back