Why don’t my plants fade?

PeaceLove&Buds

Grey Pride we’re old we’re angry get off our lawn
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Homegrown!
Hello all, this will be my 3rd harvest and I’ve never had a plant show signs of fading by the time it’s a good 20% amber. I grow in coco and fertigate daily according to schedule right up to chop so I’m curious if it’s because I don’t flush or go dry, or if it’s just genetics. So many growers here experience a beautiful looking fade that I must ask.
As usual I’m looking at these Sour Crack kids at day 67 who have about 5-10% amber (which I prefer) but are a lush green and appear as if they could still mature for the better. I prefer not to have too much amber though as I like to enjoy the effect the plant intended me to have. So…does fade matter?
15068378-2CA6-4CA6-BC6D-02AE63110813.jpeg

To answer your q at the end, fade doesn’t matter…just makes some beautiful looking plants.

A drop in night time temps is sensed by the leaves and leads to the color change when the plant feels the fall season is coming. To my knowledge what’s happening on the molecular level is increased biosynthesis of anthocyanins that get retained in the leaves/stems to protect against the biotic stress (cooler temps).

Combine the above with lack of feeding to your plant (i.e. flush)…which causes the green to fade in the leaves…and that allows the plant to fully show off it’s fall wardrobe…again to my understanding, could be dead wrong.

I’m personally trying to see if shocking the roots with cold feeds can have a similar effect, like the roots sensing the water from the atmosphere is getting colder. Not sure if it really works, but I can’t drop the tent temp any lower so trying cold feeds are my best shot.

They look great. I have a couple autos running right now in coco that really aren't fading either despite being near the end. I definitely overfed the nitrogen hence a very green color.

That said I believe @Mañ'O'Green s plants stay green right to the end as well. I may be wrong and should look at his last finished run again.

I'm sure some long time growers can chime in with more knowledge than I.

To answer your q at the end, fade doesn’t matter…just makes some beautiful looking plants.

A drop in night time temps is sensed by the leaves and leads to the color change when the plant feels the fall season is coming. To my knowledge what’s happening on the molecular level is increased biosynthesis of anthocyanins that get retained in the leaves/stems to protect against the biotic stress (cooler temps).

Combine the above with lack of feeding to your plant (i.e. flush)…which causes the green to fade in the leaves…and that allows the plant to fully show off it’s fall wardrobe…again to my understanding, could be dead wrong.

I’m personally trying to see if shocking the roots with cold feeds can have a similar effect, like the roots sensing the water from the atmosphere is getting colder. Not sure if it really works, but I can’t drop the tent temp any lower so trying cold feeds are my best shot.
Solid info thank you very much!

They look great. I have a couple autos running right now in coco that really aren't fading either despite being near the end. I definitely overfed the nitrogen hence a very green color.

That said I believe @Mañ'O'Green s plants stay green right to the end as well. I may be wrong and should look at his last finished run again.

I'm sure some long time growers can chime in with more knowledge than I.
I should “check the green“ outside the tent in normal light more often I suppose. It never occurred to me they could be a little too green thus notifying me of an error. Thank you D

I usually get a good fade, but it's not intentional = I don't grow hoping to have a "nice fade, man!". I just taper off the N the last 3 weeks, and boost the P and K, and they begin to fade.

Cold temps can turn them more purple and get more fade. But from my experience with outdoor grows, this takes place over a number of weeks

Why not just use the life going on and let them lower buds ripen. Chop whatever you think is OK and let the rest sit. As long as the girl wants to stay in service, let her. Thats why i don't do perpetual (sounds silly i know, but i want to clean up the tent completele once after each run and it's easier to pull three small ones thant three in whatever big and stinky stages they may be - and I like taking a break). I want the space be used as long as it is productive and when I am in a hurry i start new beans two weeks before chop in the lower light area.
Depending on your schedule, just take your time. "real" autos have a biological end.
And Day 67 is not too near to the end ..maybe they go 90 with a second harvcest if lower buds more ripe.
Just like in photos with those long runners you have the opportunity to chop off ripe buds more than one time, while others won't come near 10% amber and die in the brightes colours.
But if you want that colours...stop feeding and provoke some additional stress ;-)

Thank you guys for the time. To be clear Im not looking to get a fade I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t supposed to be getting a fade. I’m extremely happy with how all the plants have turned out so far but I was curious.

With coco and synthetics, I prefer feeding them to the very end since I've seen some autoflower cultivars fade even with full nutes. That way you know your getting everything you can out of them. If you want to artificially get the colors showing, cut nutes the last week or two.

Last edited:
@PeaceLove&Buds only a properly fertilized plant will make it to the end without leaf deterioration. The plant uses missing nutrients stored in the leaves and this causes what you are calling fade. You are to be congratulated on your skills as a grower. Well done!

:slap:

That said the other side of this is genetics and environment. Some strains just don't color up - green is all they know. If you are growing a strain that should have color then try a shorter lights on period and colder night. I have taken some down as cool as 62°F at night with the day at 72°F Be forewarned that this will slow ripening maybe by as much as two weeks. Then there are strains that will go crazy with colors no matter how you grow them.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back