When to use mosquito dunks?

Thanks for the reps brother. Like you seen in other posts, some just throw the bits in the pots. Since I'm trying my darndest to stay organic, I only want the BTI thats in the bits, I have no idea what other 95% agents they put in them things.

I soak a small handful in a gallon of feed overnight and then just throw the used kernels on top of my coco

I just use a handful, and sprinkle it in the same circle that I water.

It smells like it has some sort of raw sugar in it which makes sense for bacteria to grow.

I just use a handful, and sprinkle it in the same circle that I water.

It smells like it has some sort of raw sugar in it which makes sense for bacteria to grow.
I know you've finished this chat but I'm looking for a little help. I've noticed just a couple of gnats in my tent and know there will be more if I don't sort it out. I have a unopened tub of dermatatious earth but I've not used it before, I also have Neem oil but my girls are in flower, 41st day of grow. All advice gratefully received :bighug:

I've never used Neem, or soap, but its well documented.

The diatomaceous earth is like barbed wire for bugs, so you cover the exposed soil. Its a mechanical effect that damages them.

I also have yellow sticky traps up always, because there is no harm, other than getting caught myself every so often.

I know you've finished this chat but I'm looking for a little help. I've noticed just a couple of gnats in my tent and know there will be more if I don't sort it out. I have a unopened tub of dermatatious earth but I've not used it before, I also have Neem oil but my girls are in flower, 41st day of grow. All advice gratefully received :bighug:
No worries at all @Pearl-Anne :bighug:. I have no experience with those products but I do look forward to the conversation about them. Please carry on. It would be nice to have a gnat control thread with everything in one thread. as it seems they are one of the most common pest to deal with:d5::welcome::thanks::pass:

P.S. Until recently i have managed my fungus gnat problem with sticky traps. but i had a friend bring some soil over that was full of them worst mistake i have done :face::naughtystep:

Another product to have on hand for any infestation is Spinosad (I use Monterey Garden Spray with Spinosad) it’s an organic product that is safe for humans and pets, but takes care of most of the nasties we’re looking out for. It’s got a half life of four days, so you can spray in flower if you really have to. You can also mix it into your feed solution for a soil drench.

Monthly application of SF Nematodes will get rid of an infestation of gnats, DE doesn't work fast enough but might kill adults. Could use BTI as well but it's going to take some time for the bacteria to establish compared to the Nematodes.

Stones or clay pebbles over the medium will help deter further infestation, removal of standing water or allowing pots to sit in runoff as well.

Neem can't be sprayed in flower, works better for spider mites or aphids.

Monthly application of SF Nematodes will get rid of an infestation of gnats, DE doesn't work fast enough but might kill adults. Could use BTI as well but it's going to take some time for the bacteria to establish compared to the Nematodes.

Stones or clay pebbles over the medium will help deter further infestation, removal of standing water or allowing pots to sit in runoff as well.

Neem can't be sprayed in flower, works better for spider mites or aphids.
Thanks so much to everyone for replying, can only post on my mobile at mo so only just checked my notifications. And yes regarding the neem, I didn't think I could use it in flower so sooooo glad I checked here first. You're all the best :worship: when I was starting my second photo grow last year I decided to re-use the soil from the first just completed and got such a serious infestation of gnats I had to abandon the whole lot, nothing would shift them so I use fresh each time now, doesn't go with my world view but I gotta keep the girls safe and well. I've found some bti stuff on amazon but I'll look for the nematodes now ( thanks Mr cultivator) . And some stickies. And some spinosad (thanks Frank) and go from there I'll put some of the DE on in the morning to tide me over till then. I'll let you know how it goes and what I get so hopefully it will be of help to someone else in this thread. Good strong suggestion by Dale, I can't do links properly yet but I'll get there so apologies till then. Thanks again you fabulous people :thanks: and hippy hoppy happy growing :cools:

I've never used Neem, or soap, but its well documented.

The diatomaceous earth is like barbed wire for bugs, so you cover the exposed soil. Its a mechanical effect that damages them.

I also have yellow sticky traps up always, because there is no harm, other than getting caught myself every so often.
I spelt that so badly, sorry. Definitely going to get some stickies and putting some of the earth that I can't spell on in the morning while shopping for some of the other options. Thanks for letting me know how it works too, don't like killing stuff as a hippy but these are the proper exception. Thanks again

Back