When to use mosquito dunks?

How so? The nematodes die off once pest are dead so at minimum seasonal application is required.
The nematodes do not die off they may go dormant but as long as the soil remains moist they will live and reproduce. The life cycle consists of 6 stages. Nematodes are present in the soil at all stages at the same time. Drying out or freezing will kill all stages.

The life cycle of beneficial nematodes consists of eggs, four larval stages and the adults. The third larval stage is the infective form of the nematode (IT). They search out susceptible hosts, primarily insect larvae, by detecting excretory products, carbon dioxide and temperature changes.

2022-04-18_12-14-45.jpg

The nematodes do not die off they may go dormant but as long as the soil remains moist they will live and reproduce. The life cycle consists of 6 stages. Nematodes are present in the soil at all stages at the same time. Drying out or freezing will kill all stages.

The life cycle of beneficial nematodes consists of eggs, four larval stages and the adults. The third larval stage is the infective form of the nematode (IT). They search out susceptible hosts, primarily insect larvae, by detecting excretory products, carbon dioxide and temperature changes.

View attachment 1446895

I'm not understanding because if the targeted pest population dies then there is nothing for them to eat to reproduce. Plus if a new infestation occurs months later, assuming the present population is still around - how effective can they be especially if the infestation occurs at a stage where they are ineffective?

I'm not understanding because if the targeted pest population dies then there is nothing for them to eat to reproduce. Plus if a new infestation occurs months later, assuming the present population is still around - how effective can they be especially if the infestation occurs at a stage where they are ineffective?
They only live a few days to start with. Nematodes don't eat only one thing They eat bacteria and that single prey is not needed for the life cycle although it will effect the population numbers. More prey does mean a bigger population of nematodes. If a sudden rise in the population of the fungus gnats occurs the population of nematodes in the soil may not be able to keep up. If the population of fungus gnats is more consistent then so will the population of the nematodes be more consistent. If you have not had any fungus gnats in 18 months a re- inoculation is needed.

I have a Liba UV bug zapper(amazon)

best thing I ever got.

BTI works when applied properly and is more cost effective if you do not reuse the soil.
:yeahthat: :thanks:@Mañ'O'Green for the lesson in nematodes. All though i don't think i will be using them. I have seen bti/dunks at my local garden center and they seem a lot simpler, easier and cheaper. I don't have a huge problem with gnats right now but the summer months have me worried. So i wanted to pick something up for when it gets real bad or to nip it in the butt before that. I mainly was curious if it would affect the nute balance or ph (something that would hurt the plant). I would be using in COCO and SOIL (different pots not mixed) not sure if that makes a difference.:thanks::pass:

I have a Liba UV bug zapper(amazon)

best thing I ever got.
I've been thinking about a Katchy same thing i think :d5:

Lots of things in nature go dormant when food is scarce. Almost every insect you see in the spring was dormant all winter with no food. Even mammals from bears to bats go dormant in the winters with no food. Bedbugs can stay dormant in a house with no people in it for like 2 years :shrug:

:yeahthat: :thanks:@Mañ'O'Green for the lesson in nematodes. All though i don't think i will be using them. I have seen bti/dunks at my local garden center and they seem a lot simpler, easier and cheaper. I don't have a huge problem with gnats right now but the summer months have me worried. So i wanted to pick something up for when it gets real bad or to nip it in the butt before that. I mainly was curious if it would affect the nute balance or ph (something that would hurt the plant). I would be using in COCO and SOIL (different pots not mixed) not sure if that makes a difference.:thanks::pass:

I've been thinking about a Katchy same thing i think :d5:
I've used mosquito bits (bt) for a while now and it doesn't effect pH or ppms enough to change anything. My wife has like a million plants in the house and it seems like they all have gnats in them year round so I'm always nervous about tracking them into my tent. :wall: Works great as a preventative. I use it around the time I'm ready to top, and again like a month later. It does feel like it slows down very young plants though but I'm not sure why. I soak the bits in a jug with my feed overnight and water in. If you do get gnats, water through with the bits 2x like a week apart and put glue traps right on top of the soil. Pull them aside when you water and put them right back. Takes about 2 weeks to be like 80% gone. In Coco at least... :pass: I'm planning on sprinkling them right on top of my soil for my outdoor plants this summer

Back