@Herbisaur yeah man from what I've seen in @Weedman30's grow there seems to be a very purple pheno and a slightly purple pheno, I'm sure you'll get a purple one I think they're more prevalent. But yeah I kinda fucked up and gave to much nitrogen to them in the soil with a little alfalfa meal overload and I think it delayed flowering a bit. Oh well. Lesson learned.

they look nice man! but is that some nitrogen toxicity on the fastberry?
Yeah they both had a bit of n tox. Unfortunately I think it stunted their growth a bit therefore they never grew into it and they're a week or two behind in flowering. Hopefully my soil isn't too hot for my outdoor run. I'm thinking it was the extra alfalfa meal and not my soil that did it.

Last edited:
Ye

Yeah they both had a bit of n tox. Unfortunately I think it stunted their growth a bit therefore they never grew into it and they're a week or two behind in flowering. Hopefully my soil isn't too hot for my outdoor run. I'm thinking it was the extra alfalfa meal and not my soil that did it.
shit i forgot we talked about the alfalfa before... just look at it this way its a lesson to apply to your next grow

shit i forgot we talked about the alfalfa before... just look at it this way its a lesson to apply to your next grow
Yeah definitely... I think I'm going to do things a little differently on my next indoor run, I'm going to do a mini SOG with the 3 critical + auto freebies I got from herbies in 1 gallon pots, water only with my soil mix. I think I'll see good results

Its important to keep trying new things I think...even after 20+ years of outdoor growing I still like to try out different techniques, if for nothing else just to keep it fresh and interesting. That's what I love about growing grass...there is sooooo many effective different techniques...amazing!

Just curious, does anyone know if there's a way to counteract or reduce the severity of the n tox issue at this point? Or is the damage already done? @Fuggzy, maybe you could help with this? I just feel like my plants really suffered from it and I'd like to do something if it's not too late. Thanks guys.

@912GreenSkell you're definitely right. This is only my 2nd grow but by the end of summer I'll have completed 4, and all of them will be slightly different! I love the level of involvement you can choose to have.

Just curious, does anyone know if there's a way to counteract or reduce the severity of the n tox issue at this point? Or is the damage already done? @Fuggzy, maybe you could help with this? I just feel like my plants really suffered from it and I'd like to do something if it's not too late. Thanks guys.

@912GreenSkell you're definitely right. This is only my 2nd grow but by the end of summer I'll have completed 4, and all of them will be slightly different! I love the level of involvement you can choose to have.
At this stage, theres not much I can think of. I would try using some worm casting teas, and add some worms if you can. If you are able to just catch some local worms they would do. The microbial life in the tea, and casting would help regulate the soil. The worms may (or not) eat on the remaining alfalfa if there is any. Worms don't actually eat the organic materials. They eat off the leftovers from bacterial decomposing. So my thinking is... More micro'beast, means more decomposing, means more worm food, means more casting for micro'best. This may be way off course for you, but I'm rather medicated at the moment, and it's all I got...:smoking:

Okay, I let this sit a bit, and have a better idea, maybe. :biggrin: Short of disturbing the roots, and soil, you kinda just gotta find a way to live with it. The above would be most effective in my opinion, but the bottom is a bit more practical. (I use worms btw, great for the soil)

You could also do an enzyme feed. Different ways to go, you can buy something like sensizyme, or make it. To make it, go get some malted barley from a home brew store, I paid about $6 for a pound. There are different kinds (2 row, 6 row) but for our needs the cheapest is great. Take 1oz by volume of barley, and blend it into 1 gallon of water. You now have an enzyme feed, and it can be used straight. Some people say bubble it, but it is not necessary, as the enzymes are not living organisms, and it only adds dissolved O2 to the water (which is good, not necessary). Take this mix, and do a semi flush. Nothing crazy, just 20-30% more run off.

Hope it helps some bud.:pass:

At this stage, theres not much I can think of. I would try using some worm casting teas, and add some worms if you can. If you are able to just catch some local worms they would do. The microbial life in the tea, and casting would help regulate the soil. The worms may (or not) eat on the remaining alfalfa if there is any. Worms don't actually eat the organic materials. They eat off the leftovers from bacterial decomposing. So my thinking is... More micro'beast, means more decomposing, means more worm food, means more casting for micro'best. This may be way off course for you, but I'm rather medicated at the moment, and it's all I got...:smoking:

Okay, I let this sit a bit, and have a better idea, maybe. :biggrin: Short of disturbing the roots, and soil, you kinda just gotta find a way to live with it. The above would be most effective in my opinion, but the bottom is a bit more practical. (I use worms btw, great for the soil)

You could also do an enzyme feed. Different ways to go, you can buy something like sensizyme, or make it. To make it, go get some malted barley from a home brew store, I paid about $6 for a pound. There are different kinds (2 row, 6 row) but for our needs the cheapest is great. Take 1oz by volume of barley, and blend it into 1 gallon of water. You now have an enzyme feed, and it can be used straight. Some people say bubble it, but it is not necessary, as the enzymes are not living organisms, and it only adds dissolved O2 to the water (which is good, not necessary). Take this mix, and do a semi flush. Nothing crazy, just 20-30% more run off.

Hope it helps some bud.:pass:
I guess I'll go worm hunting then lol. It's raining today so hopefully they'll be out and about... there's lots of them in my outdoor flower beds and stuff.

The enzyme feed thing sounds really interesting though. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on that. Thanks fuggzy! Oh btw, I read your ground cover article, I think I'll be trying to implement that in some way with my outdoor run!

Oh btw, I read your ground cover article, I think I'll be trying to implement that in some way with my outdoor run!
Thats awesome man, I hope they work out well for you. Are you thinking about doing a live or dead cover?

Sorry I can't be of better help on the N toxicity, I have not ran in to that problem yet.

You can't go wrong with worms, there are about the best thing soil can have. If you ever decide to buy worm in quantity... DO NOT use red wigglers in your pots. They are a surface dweller, and WILL escape. They are travelers. Now they are what you want for a worm farm, and the great for castings.

For container gardening your best option is something like the Canadian Night Crawler (CNC) they live in the lower layers of soil, and stay at the bottom of the pot. They come up to eat, and shit, and leave trail of casting along the way. If you use a ground cover you NEVER have to feed them. Oh, and they happen to be the most common worm in the US. It is most likely what you'll be catching later. 10, 15, 20 however many you want. I added about 100 to my 5 gallon pots.

Thats awesome man, I hope they work out well for you. Are you thinking about doing a live or dead cover?

Sorry I can't be of better help on the N toxicity, I have not ran in to that problem yet.

You can't go wrong with worms, there are about the best thing soil can have. If you ever decide to buy worm in quantity... DO NOT use red wigglers in your pots. They are a surface dweller, and WILL escape. They are travelers. Now they are what you want for a worm farm, and the great for castings.

For container gardening your best option is something like the Canadian Night Crawler (CNC) they live in the lower layers of soil, and stay at the bottom of the pot. They come up to eat, and shit, and leave trail of casting along the way. If you use a ground cover you NEVER have to feed them. Oh, and they happen to be the most common worm in the US. It is most likely what you'll be catching later. 10, 15, 20 however many you want. I added about 100 to my 5 gallon pots.
I'll definitely be doing a dead mulch. I'll probably use a lot of leaf material and some fine pieces of old, rotting wood for a fungal and bacterial boost. Don't worry about the n tox thing, I learned a lesson anyways... haha. I'll definitely be worm hunting though. Hopefully I can find a decent amount.

Back