Grow Mediums Welcome to the Autopot Forum!

@Son of Hobbes
And why are we now required to "join a group" to participate in this thread?

It's part of a new add-on I bought for the forum; it works as a bit of an overlay style for vendor/breeder forums that gives them a slew of relative options (a group media gallery for picture uploads, group events via a global calendar, having the abilities to have "group followers," some additional tabs for information, etc. It's only for vendor/breeder forums and while yes we recognize it's a bit of a pain in the butt when it wasn't a requirement before, we also feel it's a very small PITA for the benefits it's hopefully going to help provide.

So tinfoil hats off, no one is tracking the DNA in your hair follicles, we're just working on some new features. If I could turn off the requirement to join to post, I would, but it doesn't appear I can, so I can't. :hump: lol

Hello autopot folks. I am wanting to setup an autopot system but continue to use my 3gal rain science bags. Which system will these fit in. Thanks.

I precharge my medium before putting the seeds or seedlings in the pot. Then I water every 5 days until I turn the reservoir on when the plants leaves reach the outside of the pot. The amount of water has varied from grow to grow but basically from looking over my grows I see:
Day 5 / 500-750ml
Day 10 750ml-1 liter
Day 15 1liter - 1.5 liter
Day 20 1.5 liter
After that they go on the reservoir. Of course you have to read the plants some and determine a little more or less, and if they look thirsty a day early then go ahead and water them.
how/with what do you precharge your coco? teach me your ways.

Just starting to use AutoPots this grow. I found this forum earlier today. Very useful! A lot more knowledge on this system here than I’ve found anywhere else

I just got my 2 pot system today and I'm curious where we landed on the question about drilling holes a couple of inches up the pot to accommodate the air hose for the Airdome. I really don't like having to run it back up through the soil and back down the side to the air pump. Seems like an incredibly inefficient way of doing it but I understand that it's not feasible to drill holes in every pot to possibly accommodate an accessory.

If anyone did do any drilling, did you also use a1/4" ID grommet to seal around it or just used a tightly drilled hole and hoped for the best?

@Bll
@BII

I just got my 2 pot system today and I'm curious where we landed on the question about drilling holes a couple of inches up the pot to accommodate the air hose for the Airdome. I really don't like having to run it back up through the soil and back down the side to the air pump. Seems like an incredibly inefficient way of doing it but I understand that it's not feasible to drill holes in every pot to possibly accommodate an accessory.

If anyone did do any drilling, did you also use a1/4" ID grommet to seal around it or just used a tightly drilled hole and hoped for the best?

@Bll
@BII
When I did run the airdomes I ran it from the top down and filled in my coco. When doing multiple testing grows with and without the airdomes in my opinion
I found no difference to what my yield and plant growth was. I've now been running without the airdomes so one less thing I have to worry about running airlines and extra plug in for electricity.

@bushmasterar15

Thanks, that's good to know. I figure I already bought them so I might as well try them. As long as they won't kill anything then I'm fine with giving them a shot. I was going to do a test between foam cross vs air stones but I may just run air to just one and see how it works out. I'm not as much about the roots as I am the soil itself.

I'm doing a 70/30 living soil/clay pebble medium and am primarily interested in aeration to promote microbial growth in the soil itself. The Red Wiggler earthworms need oxygen too, I assume. If I maintain an active and healthy pot of soil whatever is growing in it should be perfectly happy as well. This is my first 100% living soil grow and I took to heart the "feed the soil; not the plant" thinking on this one.

BUT on a related note, the addition of holes worked great. Marked a line with a black Sharpie, used a small hole saw drill bit, dropped in a grommet and it looks pretty good. The hole saws I use on plastic are the rough edged bits meant for glass and ceramics rather than the toothed saws meant for wood. Works much better!

Attachments

• 20220223_180822.jpg
    20220223_180822.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220223_181303.jpg
    20220223_181303.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • 20220223_181313.jpg
    20220223_181313.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220223_181730.jpg
    20220223_181730.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20220223_231720.jpg
    20220223_231720.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
I too ran the air domes and saw no real difference in using them compared to my previous grows. Just more lines on the floor to step on and noise i didn't want to listen to. I think you can grow just fine in autopots without airdomes , air stones or whatever is the new fad this week. Try them this time and next time without. Let us know what you think

Back