Live Stoners Virginia is for Growers

If your getting seeds mailed to you. You are already breaking the law.
4D3B44B6-1267-4A20-AC4D-9A1202F7DD67.gif

You don’t think home growers will be able to sell to a dispensary ? That would suck. Honest question.
No - definitely not. That's the whole point of the "for personal use" on the plant tag, and the prohibition on "exchange of money / goods" as part of the adult sharing provisions.

For medical cannabis, it's essentially regulated like a pharmaceutical product. When growing for recreational retail, there will likely be similar quality controls, paperwork, etc for consumer safety.

I meant as a legit retail/dispensary/commercial grow kind of deal. Getting set up on the ancillaries is awesome though! There's good money in that for sure.
70000 just for a license. What your number for start up? Dispensary? Commercial grow?

No - definitely not. That's the whole point of the "for personal use" on the plant tag, and the prohibition on "exchange of money / goods" as part of the adult sharing provisions.

For medical cannabis, it's essentially regulated like a pharmaceutical product. When growing for recreational retail, there will likely be similar quality controls, paperwork, etc for consumer safety.
Then the cottage industry is not going to happen.

Home cultivation itself is the cottage industry - it's just that the experience and skills that will develop within it don't have direct access to the retail marketplace. So, you develop a business model that provides that interface.

Home cultivation itself is the cottage industry - it's just that the experience and skills that will develop within it don't have direct access to the retail marketplace. So, you develop a business model that provides that interface.
Done. What’s next

Interesting debate you folks are having. I don’t know that long term, anyone, small cultivator/single dispensary owner is going to get filthy rich in the VA cannabis industry. A nice living..sure.

Ralph has already set the tone, and unless something changes, our state govt will very much, too much, have their hands in it. Which will equate to big business taking it over. There are only 5 that can operate right now… did they stuffing someone’s pockets in a Richmond to get the nod? Very possible. I don’t think that model will change all that much. It’s who our govt is. It’s a big game and the people/corporations with big money get special treatment.

Am I mistaken in that it is going to be ran very similar to the ABC??

I’m just happy to be able to grow and smoke (soon) some personal at home. But.. the thought of getting into the industry is very intriguing. The start up costs alone will keep most people far far away..

Interesting debate you folks are having. I don’t know that long term, anyone, small cultivator/single dispensary owner is going to get filthy rich in the VA cannabis industry. A nice living..sure.

Ralph has already set the tone, and unless something changes, our state govt will very much, too much, have their hands in it. Which will equate to big business taking it over. There are only 5 that can operate right now… did they stuffing someone’s pockets in a Richmond to get the nod? Very possible. I don’t think that model will change all that much. It’s who our govt is. It’s a big game and the people/corporations with big money get special treatment.

Am I mistaken in that it is going to be ran very similar to the ABC??

I’m just happy to be able to grow and smoke (soon) some personal at home. But.. the thought of getting into the industry is very intriguing. The start up costs alone will keep most people far far away..
That’s about where I’m at with it. Carpe diem

That’s about where I’m at with it. Carpe diem

When the microbrew scene got strong a number of years back everything was booming. As a homebrewer, myself, brother and some friends seriously kicked the idea of starting a microbrewery around for a minute. It was just pipe dreams. But now the market is very saturated and many of these breweries are not super sustainable long term. I’m sure their owners make a fine living, but I’d be willing to bet they aren’t as passionate about it now that it’s a “job” and not simply something they love to do on the weekends. Some of the larger regional breweries locally (Parkway, Devils Backbone, Chaos Mtn.) are probably doing a little better than good.

But, I don’t see the VA cannabis industry shaking out much different. Hell, In CA right now, some legal farms are shutting or slowing down operations because there is just so much in the state right now. If they could legally ship their product out of state, it might be different.

It will be interesting to follow how it is cultivated in VA. With a somewhat shorter outdoor growing season, and probably more limited area to cultivate (as opposed to CA), some farms may be able to not only survive, but thrive, if Richmond limits the amount of them that can operate and only allows weed sold in VA to be cultivated here (when dispensaries do sell recreational).

When the microbrew scene got strong a number of years back everything was booming. As a homebrewer, myself, brother and some friends seriously kicked the idea of starting a microbrewery around for a minute. It was just pipe dreams. But now the market is very saturated and many of these breweries are not super sustainable long term. I’m sure their owners make a fine living, but I’d be willing to bet they aren’t as passionate about it now that it’s a “job” and not simply something they love to do on the weekends. Some of the larger regional breweries locally (Parkway, Devils Backbone, Chaos Mtn.) are probably doing a little better than good.

But, I don’t see the VA cannabis industry shaking out much different. Hell, In CA right now, some legal farms are shutting or slowing down operations because there is just so much in the state right now. If they could legally ship their product out of state, it might be different.

It will be interesting to follow how it is cultivated in VA. With a somewhat shorter outdoor growing season, and probably more limited area to cultivate (as opposed to CA), some farms may be able to not only survive, but thrive, if Richmond limits the amount of them that can operate and only allows weed sold in VA to be cultivated here (when dispensaries do sell recreational).
Well put

Back