Grow Mediums To Be or Not To Be ...

The problems BW had were caused by putting "drainage material" in the bottom of the pot, the use of which is a myth. The laws of hydraulics say the interface between dissimilar materials will resist the flow of water until overcome by gravity. So not only does putting such material in the bottom of your pot interfere with drainage, it also interferes with the ability to wick. I've grew in auto pots for three years and never had an issue with the rootzone, in fact, I had rootballs that would rival DWC.

Everything looking beautiful in your garden my friend.

Thinking about your post last page about the autopots and rockwool.
I agree with NOT using the rockwool -- it wicks really quick, and with water in the bottom, it will be very wet up that 'column'.
I used to use rockwool many many years ago, it was great for clones but was too wet after rooting for my conditions then.
You said there were several layers in your medium in the autopots.
Made me think of a grower on YouTube, "Bill Ward" -- just search his name, should come up -- he may be grower here on AFN...
Anyway, he got some autopots a couple of months ago, but had issues.
You can find his vids on YouTube from maybe a month or two ago, he's done several rounds already.
The bottom feeding made the bottom layer too wet, which caused root rot.
But then it wasn't wicking up high enough to the top, so there were no roots there, like your situation.
And then the bottom watering, then drying, was leaving high undissolved solids/salts content,
messing with his pH on the next wet cycle when it start wicking up again.
He partly solved it by top watering, but then removed the whole res system and hand watered (defeats the purpose, but needed to save his plants).
Not sure if the same problem you are having, but maybe worth looking at his grows.
He's a very good grower, knows what he is doing, and worth learning from.

Everything looking beautiful in your garden my friend.

Thinking about your post last page about the autopots and rockwool.
I agree with NOT using the rockwool -- it wicks really quick, and with water in the bottom, it will be very wet up that 'column'.
I used to use rockwool many many years ago, it was great for clones but was too wet after rooting for my conditions then.
You said there were several layers in your medium in the autopots.
Made me think of a grower on YouTube, "Bill Ward" -- just search his name, should come up -- he may be grower here on AFN...
Anyway, he got some autopots a couple of months ago, but had issues.
You can find his vids on YouTube from maybe a month or two ago, he's done several rounds already.
The bottom feeding made the bottom layer too wet, which caused root rot.
But then it wasn't wicking up high enough to the top, so there were no roots there, like your situation.
And then the bottom watering, then drying, was leaving high undissolved solids/salts content,
messing with his pH on the next wet cycle when it start wicking up again.
He partly solved it by top watering, but then removed the whole res system and hand watered (defeats the purpose, but needed to save his plants).
Not sure if the same problem you are having, but maybe worth looking at his grows.
He's a very good grower, knows what he is doing, and worth learning from.
I will take a look. The very best to you and your family, as small or as large as that me be, just give love.

From the plethora of delightful bud. :drool:i can see a VERY relaxing holiday season for you. :baked: happy holidays to you and yours. :bighug:whatever holidays you celebrate.

From the plethora of delightful bud. :drool:i can see a VERY relaxing holiday season for you. :baked: happy holidays to you and yours. :bighug:whatever holidays you celebrate.
May you be happy and warm. Happy Holidays to you also.
I am most fortunate to say the least. I try to aways be aware that in this life I have it made, for some reason which I am not sure.
My ladies in the tent are now content and growing.

As I feel the Earth splitting apart to form the 4 density Earth. I hope that I get the other sane people with me.

... And here is, ..... Linda Seeds: Fat Blueberry. Well I have a lot to say but I will be short. She is now 53" tall and is developing beautiful buds. Tall slender full of crystal. You know she just grew and grew and grew. I did think she will be so "Fat Blueberry" all over the tent, well I had no idea. The ladies seem to sneak up on you. She too is 63 days old. She is turning her fan leaves to yellow. I have tried to take some better pics. The true is I am unable to get in the tent and move any lady out for a photo shot. SO enjoy, I know my time be be here for the buzz of Fat Blueberry.

4 days ago
View attachment 1267275

View attachment 1267276

Todays shots.
View attachment 1267277

View attachment 1267278

View attachment 1267279

Stay safe out there. Enjoy this time of the year. I recall my shear happiness as a kid. Be kids again and remember peace on EARTH. Do not wait for some else to smile at you.
Many thanks

I missed this because I was gone for awhile, but damn what a nice grow! I am a sucker for Ace gear too but everything looks amazing. I will have a seat and see how everything does from here on out for sure :pop:

I missed this because I was gone for awhile, but damn what a nice grow! I am a sucker for Ace gear too but everything looks amazing. I will have a seat and see how everything does from here on out for sure :pop:
very glad ur here. :thanks: I'll post pic on tues 29.

Well 2020 is just about over and not many will miss it. If you will, then I have some property on the moon that I want to sell.

I am now running a just this one thread as my tent does not have a a beginning nor an end. Well when we can travel again I'll go back to one grow at a time.

I have harvested ACE SEED Malawi x Northern Lights. I will say she has a different buzz for me than some others and I like it. You may hate it :shrug:
She was 93 days old. She did not have the bottom toxic area or the three layer cake look when I saw her roots. All I saw was the top level with a few roots and the bottom half full of roots. :oops1:
IMG_1328.jpeg

Here are a couple of bud shots that are still hanging on the line.I turn the pics sideways.
DSC_0654.jpeg

DSC_0655.jpeg

I have a new breeder in my tent welcome: Blim Burn: Cream. This was a freebie from Linda Seeds. She is 3 days old. I also planted a fav of mine from Fast Buds, LSD-25. She is 7 days old. Here is a pic of them side by side. LSD-25 on the left and Blim Burn Cream on the right. They are both in coco with a few hands full of clay pebbles. Also you see the floor fan. This position for me is great way to spread the airflow. I was also able to clean the tent, boy do I feel better about that. Both girls were placed in Root Riots and the placed in a 3" rock wool cube. The coco has been hand pressed down to try to get rid of possible air pockets. I then mix 2 liters with .25 gram per liter of MC3, 10 PPM of epsom salts and 20 ppm of Botanicare liquid cal mg. I pour this over the Root Riot and the rock wool. I also try to get a few inches from the rock wool. I do not pre soak the coco. I use a pc of the 1/4" tubing to gently apply the mix. This for me works great. It does not disturb the coco. PS the cubes are not grodan and they sort of fell apart. Found some on Craig's list so I am all set.

First a group shot. Linda Seeds: Fat BlueBerry - back left (Day:72). Fast Buds: Mexican Airlines - Back right. (Day:47)
Front row left to right. Fast Buds: LSD-25 (Day:7), Blim Burn: Cream (Day:3), Fast Buds: Wedding Cake (Day:47), 00 Seed Bank: Cheese Berry (Day:72)
DSC_0638.jpeg

Fast Buds: LSD-25 (Day:7) and Blim Burn: Cream (Day:3)
DSC_0618.jpeg

Blim Burn: Cream 3 days old. Gnat bite on left leaf
DSC_0620.jpeg

FAST BUDS: LSD-25 7 days old
DSC_0619.jpeg

Fast Buds: Smoothie. She scummed to the toxic third level and she is 66 days old. I bent her branches with the intent to give them more light. She too sits on top of her tray and is hand feed from the rez. She is a fighter. :redface:
DSC_0624.jpeg

DSC_0625.jpeg

Fast Buds: Wedding Cake. She is 47 days old. She also got the toxic bottom so hand feeding her with the mix from the rez for the older girls.
I topped her a few weeks ago. WARNING: Do not try this at home. Topping should be done before 3 weeks of age. OK Ok. I topped her because she was not growing, even when I took her out of her tray. Today she is green and happy. She is getting frost all over :rolleyes2: and continuing to please.
DSC_0621.jpeg

DSC_0623.jpeg

Fast Buds: Mexican Airlines (Day:47) She is now 37 inches tall and I believe she is just about done with her stretch. She too is getting training on all of her branches. I make a lot of buds sites more open to the light. I am amazed at her strength and vigor. :warrior: she is going to have some pretty buds.
1609267763394.jpeg

1609267782269.jpeg

Continued ....

Back