Overwatering..

Why does everyone get a hard on about it.

Probably the worst newb advice I've had.

Overwatering is pretty much a myth unless you're submerging your plants or lacking drainage.

As long as the soil is wet rather than floating, you're doing it right.

Under watering stunts your plants massively and cuts your yields.

The moment I started actually trying to over water to see how wet the soil could get before the symptoms manifested themselves, I've started seeing huge improvements in growth.

And I've still not had any sign of overwatering.

Water well for the win in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Over watering can also stunt or kill your plants. It can cause root rot and it can also prevent them from getting oxygen which they need. I'm glad you've been lucky so far, but a solid watering schedule will also make your plants explode in growth and root structure. I wouldn't want someone ruining their money and time by over watering their girls. @Waira care to add any other advice?

Overwatering..

Overwatering is pretty much a myth unless you're submerging your plants or lacking drainage.

The moment I started actually trying to over water to see how wet the soil could get before the symptoms manifested themselves, I've started seeing huge improvements in growth.

My question to you on the subject. Its simple, what is your medium? Light airy medium that are soil-less, or contain tons of perlite will allow the water to move through the medium and most of that stuff does not retain the moisture levels actual compost does. Its the nature of the beast, if someone is using a soil based medium it will retain water way more than something that is peat based. So yes over watering can and will happen, i have seen it time after time, when someone does not have proper aeration in the soil and its too heavy.

Coco, peat based, clay pebbles are all going to pass water through them and not hold much, and i can bet most of the mediums you have used are based like this. Use anything that is a true maure compost and not add any of the before mentioned additives you will see over water. Also ventilation will come into play was well, chances are your environment is more dialed in than a new grower and the air exchange assists in taking care of the access water that may be around. If you are not moving the air then water will hang around as well. Temps, as you can imagine, also play into this as well as plant transpiration. There are so many factors that can play into why you have never seen a plant over watered. How many different types of mediums have you used until you found something that you liked or worked well for you.

Now one thing that you can do is add O2 to the water it can assist in avoiding over water by adding the extra O2 that may be needed for plants to pick up the extra water. I too can flood my plants when i water, like to the point where the run off is a stream of water into my catch bucket. This assures me that my medium is evenly watered, but its also light and i run O2 in my water 24/7

Overwatering..

I've struck to a strict watering regimen so far but the last week of changed it to every two days. I've been running an experiment with this and it appears that one fast and vast is suffering from over watering issues because her bottom branches look weakbut I then realised that there's been no wind in the tent recently. I then turned up the fans and now she's looking good. Plus all the other plants, even those that are slightly younger haven't displayed these symptoms of watering.

Just to add in using a coco and perlite mix. Four plants are in fabric pots and three are in plastic ones with plenty of drainage holes

Last edited:
:yeahthat: FD has got it right! Overwatering in typical true soils is very common, depending on their amendments like perlite, if coco coir is a component (coco is one medium that overwatering is much less prone to because of it's inherent texture and properties), type of pot (breathability/evaporation from sides like in fabric pots), or content of clay/glacial dust, mushy mulches, vemiculite-- all of which hold water big time and make soil mixes heavy and retain water longer,..... gas exchange in the root zone is critical, and too much water will smother them and retard the process, hence the wilting! Also, it's can harm the soil microbes as well,...

My question to you on the subject. Its simple, what is your medium? Light airy medium that are soil-less, or contain tons of perlite will allow the water to move through the medium and most of that stuff does not retain the moisture levels actual compost does. Its the nature of the beast, if someone is using a soil based medium it will retain water way more than something that is peat based. So yes over watering can and will happen, i have seen it time after time, when someone does not have proper aeration in the soil and its too heavy.

Coco, peat based, clay pebbles are all going to pass water through them and not hold much, and i can bet most of the mediums you have used are based like this. Use anything that is a true maure compost and not add any of the before mentioned additives you will see over water. Also ventilation will come into play was well, chances are your environment is more dialed in than a new grower and the air exchange assists in taking care of the access water that may be around. If you are not moving the air then water will hang around as well. Temps, as you can imagine, also play into this as well as plant transpiration. There are so many factors that can play into why you have never seen a plant over watered. How many different types of mediums have you used until you found something that you liked or worked well for you.

Now one thing that you can do is add O2 to the water it can assist in avoiding over water by adding the extra O2 that may be needed for plants to pick up the extra water. I too can flood my plants when i water, like to the point where the run off is a stream of water into my catch bucket. This assures me that my medium is evenly watered, but its also light and i run O2 in my water 24/7

I use Plagron light mix soil.

I never water to run off, but I keep the pots heavy at all times.

Even my seedlings as I just don't see what the point of the mantra 'let the soil dry out before watering' anymore.

Plants throw out more roots when they're getting the water and nutrients they need. Like us, eat more get bigger, but some seem to suggest that if the soil is dry the plant will 'go looking for water' and grow more roots.

Roots won't push through areas of dry soil to get to water, they follow channels of moisture to find more, as I'm sure you know.

My point is that as a newb, ive grown about 8 plants to harvest, and I'm currently experiencing great results from watering heavily in relation to how I was told to water when I started.

I know it's dependent on lots of different factors and configurations, but my beef is that overwatering seems to be billed as the most common noob error, and I don't think that's true.

I under watered my last harvested plant and it was lanky with very sparse branching, and that seems to be the kind of structure seen in a lot of new growers journals (of course different strains display different features) and in my humble opinion it's the fear of over watering.

Well, part of it is how long it stays saturated to the degree that there's no space open for gas exchange; past 20 min. or so, it becomes more damaging... yes, some noob's end up watering the hell out of plant repeatedly, like they're water-boarding the poor things! :rofl:... free draining media can shed the water in time, as long as it drains completely away, no back-wicking from a saucer... coco is famous for it's capacity to hold and release water due to it's springy-spongy texture,.. peat is not like this, in fact for my carnivorous bog plants, peat and perlite (and sand) are the medium of choice because it holds water so well,.. these plants literally sit in a shallow pan of water all the time! So peat-heavy mixes should be watered more carefully, and have plenty of perlite...
Watering to 10-20% run-off is usually a wise thing to do, especially if you're using synthetic nutes,... this keeps the salt build-up from getting too bad, and causing all manner of problems... any pot is kinda like a cone coffee filter: as water/nute solution moves down through the media, it increases in conc. of solutes... Organics it's not necessary, unless there's been a big overdose of something! In any case, keeping the pot from getting soggy bottoms or forming dry patches from inconsistent, uneven watering is always an issue... using a wetting agent/water spreader can help a lot with this, particularly with dry patches from media that's become kinda repellent,...
seedlings, it's a bit more tricky. Never let them dry to stress, that makes for stunters from root damage,... too much and you get potential damping off, and again, root damage from smothering; letting it dry a bit at the surface help force the roots to delve deeper, but that's a tricky juggle as a new grower, to learn how fast things dry, in different conditions, what to expect from changes in them, etc,... Personally, I try to keep things as evenly moist top to bottom, with some surface drying (not totally) down a inch or 2 depending on their size,...using a mister can help regulate your surface inputs, and not make the lower levels overly wet from rehydrating that upper layer frequently,...
:smoking: From what I see in Sick Bay, nute burn, bad pH management, and underfeeding are the major issues with noob's,... coco especially! so many think it's just another type of soil, and treat it as such... and end up having problems-- sooner, not later! :doh: Master it though, and you can grow-:vibe:!

Well, part of it is how long it stays saturated to the degree that there's no space open for gas exchange; past 20 min. or so, it becomes more damaging... yes, some noob's end up watering the hell out of plant repeatedly, like they're water-boarding the poor things! :rofl:... free draining media can shed the water in time, as long as it drains completely away, no back-wicking from a saucer... coco is famous for it's capacity to hold and release water due to it's springy-spongy texture,.. peat is not like this, in fact for my carnivorous bog plants, peat and perlite (and sand) are the medium of choice because it holds water so well,.. these plants literally sit in a shallow pan of water all the time! So peat-heavy mixes should be watered more carefully, and have plenty of perlite...
Watering to 10-20% run-off is usually a wise thing to do, especially if you're using synthetic nutes,... this keeps the salt build-up from getting too bad, and causing all manner of problems... any pot is kinda like a cone coffee filter: as water/nute solution moves down through the media, it increases in conc. of solutes... Organics it's not necessary, unless there's been a big overdose of something! In any case, keeping the pot from getting soggy bottoms or forming dry patches from inconsistent, uneven watering is always an issue... using a wetting agent/water spreader can help a lot with this, particularly with dry patches from media that's become kinda repellent,...
seedlings, it's a bit more tricky. Never let them dry to stress, that makes for stunters from root damage,... too much and you get potential damping off, and again, root damage from smothering; letting it dry a bit at the surface help force the roots to delve deeper, but that's a tricky juggle as a new grower, to learn how fast things dry, in different conditions, what to expect from changes in them, etc,... Personally, I try to keep things as evenly moist top to bottom, with some surface drying (not totally) down a inch or 2 depending on their size,...using a mister can help regulate your surface inputs, and not make the lower levels overly wet from rehydrating that upper layer frequently,...
:smoking: From what I see in Sick Bay, nute burn, bad pH management, and underfeeding are the major issues with noob's,... coco especially! so many think it's just another type of soil, and treat it as such... and end up having problems-- sooner, not later! :doh: Master it though, and you can grow-:vibe:!

Excellent post bro, I can see why you're rated highly on here.

I've never tried coco as the horror stories seem to be, fuck it up and you'll have a nightmare trying to sort it out, which with autos generally means, a waste of time.

The four girls I'm nurturing to harvest will be my last for a few years (work) so I'm just glad I started to push the envelope with greater volumes of water (and less nutes!) so hopefully I can reap a decent stock of herbs to last me.

I like the vibe here and I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just airing my frustrations about being so paranoid all those earlier grows.

I've got great lights, great genetics and the best help from AFN possible.

My only aim is to prevent other new growers from making the same errors I did.

No mate I used a 600w hps throughout. I was initially planning on using a 250w hps for veg but the bulb and ballast became unavailable to me. But the results I'm getting thus far are pretty good!

And it's really good to hear someone else is growing Sensi seeds here. I've been feeling like a Lone Ranger lately haha. How's your progress so far? I'd especially like to know about the ww and the diesel? Any pics or a link to a journal would be greatly appreciated
No mate I used a 600w hps throughout. I was initially planning on using a 250w hps for veg but the bulb and ballast became unavailable to me. But the results I'm getting thus far are pretty good!

And it's really good to hear someone else is growing Sensi seeds here. I've been feeling like a Lone Ranger lately haha. How's your progress so far? I'd especially like to know about the ww and the diesel? Any pics or a link to a journal would be greatly appreciated

Is it ok to do that with autos ? I've got a 600 hps sitting there but was going to use it when they start to flower. Lol same mate thought I was only person who bought auto from sensi . Not yet bud there only 3 days old . All germintared all are looking ok. I will keep you in the loop mate. Can I ask what your feeding them and are you feeding everyday. Cheers mate

Is it ok to do that with autos ? I've got a 600 hps sitting there but was going to use it when they start to flower. Lol same mate thought I was only person who bought auto from sensi . Not yet bud there only 3 days old . All germintared all are looking ok. I will keep you in the loop mate. Can I ask what your feeding them and are you feeding everyday. Cheers mate

I think it's ok too do it with autos if you have a large enough tent. Mine 2x1.2x1.2 meters. I've had no issues and my plants are massive.
My nute regime has been experimental but I've got something that works for me. I'm using:

Canna a b

Calmag

Buddhas tree pk 9 18 ( this stuff is expensive but by fuck it's worth it's weight in gold )

Grotec heavy bud ( I'm only using this because it's a free-bee. Once I've finished the bottle I won't use it again.)

I've been feeding them every three days and sometimes every two.
When I was at the seedling stage I was feeding once a week or once the pots had dried.
Hope this helps mate.
And please keep me posted on your Sensi grow

:eek1: whaaahh?? I got a rep?! :rofl: Cheers mate, thank you,... Coco is fantastic stuff, one just needs to lean about it's differences and properties vs soil and peat "soilless",... lots of good info here, and on the web of course.. Canna Coco is a good company, with coco, nutes, and a website full of good info, if a bit scattered... Coco has unusual Cation Exchange capacity properties, part of what trips peep's up when using it and not learning how to work with these sorts of things... :biggrin: Also, check out the Autopot section here too, many of those folks use coco for it, and are getting kick-ass results from a totally KISS system! :thumbsup:

Back